Just got a yanmar diesel engine what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday at work (we are having a clear out) i looked in one of the out buildings and found a Yanmar diesel engine its in really good shape i have never heard of them before and i was fascinated by it so i asked my boss if i could take it as it would have only have gone for scrap otherwise and he let me have it, here is some pictures

rlck.jpg

img:left]http://imageshack.com/a/img27/6877/wmtb.jpg[/img]

tu8u.jpg

70dd.jpg

f1yy.jpg

I replaced the fuel filter and fuel line before starting it as the old one had cracked but after doing that it started right up, you have to use the decompression lever though otherwise the compression is so tough you cant even turn it over. i just need to decide what to do with it it certainly is an interesting engine has anyone heard of them before?

Last edited:
Japanese, great engines. Alot of John Deere's came with 20HP~~ 3 cyl versions

Rugged little buggers. Good reputation, and a great find! I'd love to have one just to fiddle around with.

Originally Posted By: Lewis
Great idea, do you think it ll handle 2kw?

doing conversion for american

you need about 2hp per KW(generator)

in small engines the conversion is

1kw=1.34hp
so since your engine is 2.8-3.1kw output

that is about 3.75 to 4.1hp

should be ok for about 2KW.

Last edited:
We have a 4WD CubCadet/Yanmar backhoe at work with a ridiculous amount of hours on it.

Runs like a sewing machine.

Thanks for all of the information you have provided me,i have one question though i cant seem to find out what oil this engine runs on as the oil in there looks pretty old and low i only know it has a small oil filter and a trochoid oil pump which pumps oil to the con rod bearings and the main shaft bearing i was thinking a 10w30 oil would be safe

Great engines! They are used in all of the MEP 831 Military generators that we install here at work, super reliable!

Use a 15w-40 diesel rated oil.

One time I was thinking of fitting that engine to a lawn edger, as a repower, because I wanted to own a diesel. Did some more digging and found the engine weighs 98 lbs. I went with a 27 lb. Chonda instead.

Nice machining on the Chonda, but they hadn't mastered wire insulation.

By the way, that engine has a keyed shaft. If I recall, you need a taper shaft to fit a generator head to it.
From another post:
Good reasons for the tapered shaft are:

1. Centers rotor better.
2. They will not loosen up as easy as a straight shaft.
3. Will allow a more compact design.

Look at my screen name. That said, I have a 9HP chinese clone of this engine which I used to repower a Toro 8/24 self propelled snowblower with a blown gasoline engine, needed a bit of fabrication (mostly creating mounting lugs with a wire welder). The torque on these things is insane, and for snow removal the weight actually helps. Mine won't run on WVO in its cold weather application, but isn't a problem in the summer (it's -10F without wind chill here right now). Both the Yanmar and the copy come equipped with a Bosch injector IIRC. I have an 11HP version of this motor I had planned to retrofit to a cub cadet mower, but it's now for sale-should probably put it in the classified section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back