New Honda foreman TRX420 DCT - What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father purchased a new 2014 Honda Foreman 420 DCT 4 wheeler over Christmas. Now to decide what oil to run in it. We are wanting to run a full synthetic or a synblend in it. Since it is under warranty we will only use oils listed JASO MA and the recommended weights are 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40.

I can get the following oils readily available.

Mystik 4T full synthetic 0w-40 or 10w40 5.99/qt
MAG 1 4T synblend (10% syn) 10w40 $4.99/qt
AMSOIL Cant remember the price
Of course I can go to AAP or AZ and get the M1 or Castrol Full synthetic as well.
My father wants to run a Motorcycle/ATV oil not, he's not wanting to use T6 as I suggested.

I'm leaning towards the Mystik 10w40. What does everyone else run?

Valvoline 10w40 ATV is available but I'm not paying 6.99 for a dino oil.

Originally Posted By: volk06
My father wants to run a Motorcycle/ATV oil not, he's not wanting to use T6 as I suggested.

[censored]...brain bubble. My bad!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: volk06

5w-40 isn't an approved weight, but 10w-30 is (>-10°C). Tape a picture of a motorcycle/atv to a gallon jug of Rotella T5 10w-30 -- explain to him that doing so makes Rotella just as much of a motorcycle/atv oil as any other product on the shelf with fancier graphics.

T5 doesn't meet JASO MA

T5 is not rated JASO MA. If you can get your hands on the Amsoil at a decent price, I'd run that. Food for thought.

It seems the mystik is the best bang for the buck unless I want to support the close by WPP and get the Mag1.

My brother found that T6 made his Rancher 420 a little sluggish. He dumped after a days ride and put the expensive Honda 10w30 back in it and sluggishness went away.

I won't run Mystic for reasons other than oil quality. I'd say go for Amsoil Motorcycle 10w30. Seems like the recent Hondas recommend and run better on 10w30. My father-in-law has a Foreman 420 a couple years old and it seems to prefer the lighter oil.

I would run T6 5w40 or the Amsoil Powersports 0w40.
I'm currently running the Amsoil 0w40 in my 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf and am really liking it so far. Really nice cold starting.

I currently own 6 honda atv's and I can't tell a difference between $11.00 botique or .69 10/40. I run sale HDEO 15/40 in all of them from 200ES to 680 Rincon. FWIW

Congrats on the Honda..good choice, keep it all stock.

I'll probably run the MAG1 10w40 synthetic blend since its the most easy to come by on a daily basis here. If I want to go full synthetic I'll go CITGO 0w40. The CITGO is only .50 more a qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back