holding company buys red line oil corp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, stuff like this happens all the time. While it's true they could totally change how Red Line operates, they could also leave it alone. I'll reserve judgment for now.

Not sure it would help....I really do not see many people using it much anymore...even the "ricers" and car guys have been using other stuff...And if a company did but them, they sure didn't do much of anything...

Kinda sad though...seems like a great oil. Seems everyone is flocking to other oils....
frown.gif

the family sold it because of ill health...the products will remain the superior product it is and even better!!! sales are extremely strong and they are committed to be the worlds best lubes!!.....I am not worried at all

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Hopefully they make it cheaper and more accessible.

I'd say it's very accessible. Available from countless speed shops, some indy mechanics, Amazon, and directly from Red Line.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the family sold it because of ill health...the products will remain the superior product it is and even better!!! sales are extremely strong and they are committed to be the worlds best lubes!!.....I am not worried at all

I know it's good stuff....I just don't see it around here much anymore, that's all. Quite a few around here did carry it....

Up here, our biggest problem is visibility. Canadian Tire used to carry it. That gave it visibility, although CT didn't exactly price it competitively. Now, one can only find it at speed shops, and there it costs much, much more.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22

Part of above is not true.

Red Line was not owned by a "family". The owners were two individuals, the former President, who was the majority owner, and the former Vice President, who was not related to the President and was the minority owner.

The sale took place in the last half of 2013. Neither owner sold his share of the company because of poor health. Red LIne's former President was almost 70 and wanted to retire and Red Line's former Vice President decided sell his interest and take retirement to spend more time with his family.

Since 1990 and up until Red Line was sold late last summer, I worked with Red Line on long-term testing of its products in the engines, transmissions and rear axles of road vehicles. I knew Red Line's President and had a close working relationship with the company's former Vice President who was also the Chief Chemist and ran the test programs on which I worked. I also covered Red Line products in my work as an automotive writer.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, Red Line Synthetic OIl Corporation was purchased by the Spectrum Corporation of Selmer TN. Also, as stated elsewhere in this thread, Spectrum Corp. is owned by Dominus Capital, a holding company which owns other automotive-related businesses as well as non-automotive businesses. For more information on Spectrum Corp, click here and for more info on Dominus Capital, click here

Red LIne's new President is Camaron Evans. The person at Spectrum Corp. who, as I understand the situation, is responsible for overseeing Red Line Oil is Spectrum's Vice President for Technology and Marketing, Ed Callis.

I interviewed Mr. Callis back in March 2014 and may have some answers to a few of the questions posted above. First, on Red Line's pricing structure, Callis may have addressed then when he answered a question I asked about changes in marketing. Ed Callis replied, "We intend to follow the marketing plan previously established and already being implemented under Cameron Evans’ leadership as (current) President of Red Line. Past promotional activities are being judged on their success and that will factor into whether they are continued, expanded or modified." IMO, that implies that Red LIne's pricing structure could change but not right away.

For those who fear with the sale to Spectrum Red Line's quality might slip, I don't think it will. I asked Callis about how Spectrum was going to maintain the level of quality one expects from Red Line products and he said, "Spectrum has best-in-class technical facilities in TN, staffed by degreed chemists with many years of experience in the lubricant & chemical business. Some of our people have worked for major oil companies and a major additive company in their R&D section. We have developed technology and products for many OEMs throughout the world. We intend to build upon and expand Red Line’s technology base. Besides the standard quality control processes (already in place), samples of every batch of Red Line product are shipped to Spectrum’s laboratory in TN where a full battery of QC testing is performed. These samples will be retained in TN as batch samples will continue to be retained in Benicia (California, the location of Red Line Oil)"

I think the new Red Line, under Spectrum's ownership, will continue to blend the quality lubricants it's always produced, but hard core skeptics are going to have doubts when a storied brand in the motorsports business, such as Red Line, is acquired by a new owner, especially one such as Spectrum, which is virtually unknown to racers and enthusiasts of high-performance road cars but is known for private label products as well as lubricants used in the agricultural field and has no experience with lubricants for high-performance road vehicles and race cars.

For those folks who are reluctant to continue using Red Line products, a great alternative are lubricants marketed by Driven Racing OIl which is the in-house oil blending business owned by former NFL coach and current NASCAR team owner Joe Gibbs.

For more information on Red LIne Oil click here.
For more information on Driven Racing Oil click here.

Last edited:
Cameron Evans is known to BITOG as he has posted here on occasion.
Considering RL is a race oil formulator they have done very well at selling their products to the general automotive market place despite the fact they don't carry a true 20 grade PCMO.

One RL strength is that they have always provided good technical support and provide the technical spec's of their oils. If that doesn't change then there will continue to be strong demand for their products.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
despite the fact they don't carry a true 20 grade PCMO.

Their "20" meets all that is required of a 20 in J300...it IS a 20, in spite of your repeated statements to the contrary.

I always found that image of having your eyes glued to pressure gauges while racing round the track hilarious.

Just kidding Caterham!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back