Do You Use A Catch Can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree, that it is dependent on the engine as to how much is going to make it thru the PCV line. I have about 5300 miles on my 2013 5.3L now with the catch can on. I have just shy of about 4 oz of oil that thing has captured. Worth it for the peace of mind knowing that stuff is not coating the inside of my intake and coking up on my intake valves.

Here are pics of 1053 miles on my Hemi catch can. It looks like there is some condensation in it, but I only notice that during the cold months. During the summer I didn't notice any condensation in it and it is pretty much golden oil like what comes out of the bottle.

I didn't measure this dumping, but the last picture is a Blackstone sample bottle for reference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I had this much built up after not checking the can for maybe 800-1000 miles.

What can do you have?

Originally Posted By: Silvercreek
The reason for my inquiry is that I have a new 2013 5.7L Hemi RAM approaching 3300 miles. I disconnected the line where a catch can would normally be installed and it was near bone dry. I disconnected the intake tube where it connects to the throttle body and there is no sign of oil residue in or on the throttle body. The oil level on the dip-stick is still on the full mark. This is why I'm wondering why I need a catch can.

See my most recent post to see how much oil is actually getting sucked through your PCV system. My Ram is an '11 Hemi with 26ish on the odo.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
It was mainly designed to help with highly tuned engines. The vapors can increase pre-detonation when it mixes with the fuel. Reducing the vapors keeps the fuel vapor at the nominal octane for combustion.

They don't keep anything much cleaner than without. There have been several tests with people using catch cans that still have the same cleanliness issues.

Why did you have to ruin my day
48.gif
I put a seperator in the PVC line on a Ford 4.2 V6 that was notorious for plugged egr ports in the intake manifold and disintegrating plenum gaskets. With beefed up gaskets installed i was hoping to never go back in to scrape that plenum and ports. It was 20 bucks and a one beer job. I have not lost much
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back