Installing Aftermarket Stereo 2001 Ford Taurus SES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

My brother is attempting to install a aftermarket radio into a Ford Taurus SES 2001. Instructions he has read, and also what I am seeing is.. people are running cables to a amp in the trunk to the front of the vehicle.. why in the world is it set up like this? Couldn't you just get wiring harnesses that terminate at the front of the vehicle?(in past installs Ive had wiring harnesses that would just connect into the OEM plugs, that I would solder to the aftermarket stereo)

Or is running this long cable necessary? Does anyone have any experience with installing a aftermarket radio into a Ford Taurus ?

Any help is welcome thanks!

You have to run wires and an antenna extension cable to the trunk because that is where the "brain" of the factory radio is located. It's mounted in the left rear side of the trunk behind the trunk liner material. Here is a link to a few pics:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

The factory radio is only a control head that supplies input signal and radio/source function switching to the radio brain. The speaker outputs and power wires all have to be routed from the brain up to the dash location to wire in to a new aftermarket deck. It also takes a specialized installation kit for the new deck in the dash, usually you can get the dash kit, antenna extension and a speaker/power wire kit for about $80.00 or $90.00. I would say call Crutchfield, Sonic Electrinix or maybe a good independent car audio shop to be sure you get the right parts and help with the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back