1ZZ-FE Corolla, change oil soon or top-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current mileage is about 160,600 for a 1999 Corolla, the last oil change was in May at about 155,800 miles, oil was 5W30 Synpower with a NAPA gold filter. Have added 3 quarts of top-off oil during this oil change period- all synthetic. Running close to 1 quart down now, should I add a quart which would take the car out to about 6,000 miles for this oil change period or change the oil now. I understand the 1zzfe is tough on oil and interval for this car is 5,000 miles, anyone exceed 5,000 mile oci with this motor? I'm also debating whether to keep synthetic for the next oil change or go with a cheaper conventional especially for top-offs. Thanks

If it was my car I would go at least 7K, especially after u been using synthetic to top it off, and u are also using a good filter.

I accidentally exceeded 5000 miles (6k w/ no top off) before I knew my engine consumed oil all kinds (1qt/2000mi) -- it wasn't pretty when the oil drained. If you're topping it off to keep it above the low mark you should be ok to 6k, I'd think.

Someone asked a similar question here and people posted some calculations (although the thread sort of devolved into some kind of limey rant
wink.gif
)

Unfortunately I haven't found many UOAs for 1ZZ-FEs with the consumption issue. I'll be posting mine here starting with my next OC.

In our oil-burner Corolla I find that GTX honestly burns off the slowest. I had switched to M1 once and it actually burned faster (and I believe leaked some as well) and I never tried synthetic in it again. I've used cheap oils like Wolf's Head and Cam2 and they burn at a pretty serious pace. It has VWB in it right now (very similar add pack to GTX) and so far it's doing pretty well too.

GTX has been my favorite though so far and next I'm either gonna try PYB in it or go the semi-syn route for the first time with GTX SynBlend. Should be even better at preventing burn-off than the standard GTX and it's only about a dollar more per jug. If I were you I'd skip the long OCIs while you're burning expensive oil and try GTX for significantly less money. It might surprise you.

My opinion would be to move up to a 5w40 in the winter and a 10w40 in the summer. Keep the synthetic going and look for sales year round. Split the baby....6 month oil changes according to Winter/Summer. So just keep topping it off until April....don't worry about the mileage.

Is SynPower your regular oil fill?

With that kind of consumption add the quart and run it longer. I would be inclined to chase down 8k.

Generally I've used conventional before- we've had the car for a few years and I hadn't really kept track of the oil change miles before. I've been using synthetic over the past year to see if there was any improvement to the consumption issue.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
In our oil-burner Corolla I find that GTX honestly burns off the slowest. I had switched to M1 once and it actually burned faster (and I believe leaked some as well) and I never tried synthetic in it again. I've used cheap oils like Wolf's Head and Cam2 and they burn at a pretty serious pace. It has VWB in it right now (very similar add pack to GTX) and so far it's doing pretty well too.

That's an interesting observation - I think Bill in Utah also said GTX had some of the best UOAs in his Corolla (which didn't burn oil AFAIK). My dad's 99 goes through oil like a fiend, I got him to try Rotella T5 10W-30 for the past two changes, but I might pick up some GTX/HM for him while it's on sale @ Advance.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm

That's an interesting observation - I think Bill in Utah also said GTX had some of the best UOAs in his Corolla (which didn't burn oil AFAIK). My dad's 99 goes through oil like a fiend, I got him to try Rotella T5 10W-30 for the past two changes, but I might pick up some GTX/HM for him while it's on sale @ Advance.

It was kind of a shot in the dark for me as I had never been attracted to Castrol products before, but I was desperate to find something that might help and it really pleasantly surprised me. It's worth a shot.

Since you've added so much top-off oil i wouldn't be worried about the oil breaking down, probably real good TBN.
Have you tried any high mileage oils, i would try maxlife, pennzoil HM, castrol HM or even M1 HM if you wanted to keep synthetic in it. I have had good luck with HM oils slowing consumption/leaks, but not really stopping any totally.

Also, don't forget walmarts oils are real cheap as well, the synthetic or high mileage could reduced spending on top-off oil. Right now i'm topping off with $0.90 Peak i got BOGO at dollar general.

I always use SYN in the winter, gets very cold here, and summer have used a higher grade also. I often use dino oils in the spring/fall (moderate temps) especially in oil burners/leakers. good luck

Originally Posted By: lange
Generally I've used conventional before- we've had the car for a few years and I hadn't really kept track of the oil change miles before. I've been using synthetic over the past year to see if there was any improvement to the consumption issue.

Then try some of the oils for high mileage engines...I thought you might have run synthetic oil for the full 160K. I would still stay on a 6 month rotation of oils in the 40w ranges on the high end. Sometimes engines consume more oil depending on brand, one brand may work better for you than your current brand.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
those engines on the 99 corollas run well over 300,000 miles but like clean oil semi syn 5w30 works well.. Those engines are tough

If you don't kill them with low oil. Just like Saturns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back