AC Delco PF64 vs. PF48

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2014 Chevy user manual say use AC Delco PF64 oil filter. Wal-Mart didn't carry it. I went to the local auto parts store and the sold me a AC Delco PF48 saying it was compatible.

I searched and confirmed the PF48 is listed as compatible with the PF64.

What is the difference between the 2 filters?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I'm sure the PF64 is a bit longer is all.

+1 but is the 64 a Ecore the PF48 is not.

I would run the PF48 and have on the wife's 2012 6.0L HD but now running RP10-48 and will be sticking with them.

Ok I have now edumicated myself. According to baldwin the only difference is the gasket on the b7422(pf63) versus the b160(pf48). The b7422(pf64) is listed as a susuki application. Other than the gasket everything else is the same.

Gm must be using a susuki engine in something.

Last edited:
What car/engine? A PF64 is OE on Corvette and Malibu 2.5. PF48 has the same threads and base size but a completely different bypass mechanism.

The car is a 2014 Corvette. The manual call fir a PF64. The audit supply store sold me a PF48. Their computer said the PF48 was equivalent to the PF 64. After some research, I returned it and they sold me a K&N 1017 filter foe $11. That is also equivalent to the PF 64.

I put on the K&N yesterday. Runs fine and pressure is the same.

All I really want to know what the difference is and will it cause any problems.

To add to confusion, the filter on from the factory has a PF63 label but the factory said some cars had filters with PF 63 labels but were in fact PF 64.

Very confused.....

The pf48 has the oil filter bypass valve inside and has a 22mm thread. I don't know if the pf64 has a bypass valve or not but it has the same threads. The pf 63 is like 3/4 inch longer than the pf63 and pf48.

Originally Posted By: NewC7
The car is a 2014 Corvette. The manual call fir a PF64. The audit supply store sold me a PF48. Their computer said the PF48 was equivalent to the PF 64. After some research, I returned it and they sold me a K&N 1017 filter foe $11. That is also equivalent to the PF 64.

All I really want to know what the difference is and will it cause any problems.

To add to confusion, the filter on from the factory has a PF63 label but the factory said some cars had filters with PF 63 labels but were in fact PF 64.

Very confused.....

There was a bulletin on this a couple weeks ago. Factory filter is a PF64. They were mislabeled "replace with PF63", but you should still put a 64 on it.

#PIP5157: LT1 Engines May Have Been Built With An Oil Filter That Has An Incorrect Label - (Oct 17, 2013)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some early LT1 engines may have been built with an oil filter that has an incorrect label on the can.

The filter is correct. However, the label is wrong.

Recommendation/Instructions
Replacement of the filter for the incorrect label concern is not necessary.

The technician needs to be sure to replace the OE filter with the correct PF64 when it is time for an oil and filter change.

The incorrect label says to replace the oil filter with a PF63. The correct service part is a PF64 part # 12640445.

Filter with the wrong label

Object ID: 3633899Click here for detailed picture of the image.
Filter with the right label

Object ID: 3633900

Yes, I am aware of the label mix up.

My question is what is the difference between the PF64 and PF48? All the cross references says they are interchangeable.

I put a K&N 1017 in, which is also listed as interchangeable.

So, what is so special about the PF64 that Wal-Mart and my local auto parts store don't know about it.

I assure you, they are not. We stock both for a reason. The 64 weighs about double a 48 and has a completely different bypass mechanism inside. If a 48 was the same, don't you think they would have used one.

Originally Posted By: NewC7

Very confused.....

In researching a bigger filter my 6.0L I read that some Corvettes require the 64R.. racing filter that can handle higher pressures. Not sure how that equates to yours just passing it along.

Tooks some pics for use guys today since I had to use both a 48 and 64.

Here is a PF64

A7823EE3-8D46-4E05-8364-1C5E51E4940A.jpg

Here is pf48

1E69BB84-822B-44AC-A2B8-58CA298FF04C.jpg

Originally Posted by NewC7
My new 2014 Chevy user manual say use AC Delco PF64 oil filter. Wal-Mart didn't carry it. I went to the local auto parts store and the sold me a AC Delco PF48 saying it was compatible.

I was looking up the specification (for oil filter socket size) for my neighbors C7 Corvette which takes a PF64 oil filter and came across this. It is always best to check with the manufacturer of the oil filter and I came across the GM-Techlink.com site. There are differences other than size.

Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement

Originally Posted by Excellence
Originally Posted by NewC7

I was looking up the specification (for oil filter socket size) for my neighbors C7 Corvette which takes a PF64 oil filter and came across this. It is always best to check with the manufacturer of the oil filter and I came across the GM-Techlink.com site. There are differences other than size.

Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement

DO NOT use a PF48 in place of a PF64. As Excellence says, they may physically fit in place of each other, but the bypass valve specs are different. The Wix 10290/ NAPA 100290 meet the spec, along with the Fram 12060. And I think those are about the only proper replacement for the PF64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back