First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hollow
1986 Ford Thunderbird base model.

3.8 headgasket eating V6 coupled to a 3 speed auto. 120 horsepower and mediocre interstate MPG with the lack of OD.

All that complained...one of the best looking vehicles I have ever owned in my opinion. I'd love to have another fox body bird...and the budget to make it more pleasant to drive.

A 5-speed '87 & '88 Turbo Coupe with their unique beak are a fun car with decent performance and still turn heads today... Also they can knock down 27-30mpg on the higway... I prefer mine with V8 power(that the white one has)but that's just me...

BTW it's the only one I still own...

5birds.jpg

Originally Posted By: R80RS
1971 Mercury Comet.

Got one of those as well, work in progress... OK mine is a '72 but there isn't any real difference from the '71...

72comet_zps0ba6d25c.jpg

Originally Posted By: Kuato
1974 Plymouth Scamp, no problems ever until this lady pulled out in fornt of me....

Awesome! Mine was a 71. Did yours have the "leaning tower of power"as well? I loved the huge air vents under the dash that could fit a 6 pack in them:) I loved the curved rear window too, I always thought it was unique.

Last edited:
Are we talking the very first car ever, or the first car purchased on your own?

Well, the first car ever was a 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix. It was turd brown, with the light turd brown vinyl top. It came with a 301 2bbl, but the carb failed and dumped gas down the cylinders and took out the crank bearings. In went a 1974 Pontiac 400 out of an older Grand Prix. Then it was fun to drive.

The first car that I actually purchased on my own was a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird convertible. White with the black top and the little 1.8 OHC four-banger. Got it for a song from a guy who was selling it for an elderly lady friend. He had no clue what it was worth and I didn't feel one bit bad that I was almost stealing it from his friend. I was too young to think about anyone but myself.

Even small cars in the Sixties were big and roomy, huh?

My first car was a 1975 Ford Maverick, the upper-level 4-door sedan, with the larger 250 cid engine and nice wood-like trim inside.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Got one of those as well, work in progress... OK mine is a '72 but there isn't any real difference from the '71...

72comet_zps0ba6d25c.jpg

Really nice!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Even small cars in the Sixties were big and roomy, huh?

My first car was a 1975 Ford Maverick, the upper-level 4-door sedan, with the larger 250 cid engine and nice wood-like trim inside.

American made cars? Sort of. legroom was somewhat pinched in the back of a Falcon, ChevyII, Valiant, or Rambler American coupes. (awww...:( there were still 4 domestics)

Volkswagen TypeI? Less legroom and narrower. Corolla? About the same legroom as the ChevyII but much narrower car. Your feet have a place to go but you're shoulder to shoulder with the person next to you....closer if they are at all fat. Honda N600? Back seat's not suitable for humans of any size.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
American made cars? Sort of. legroom was somewhat pinched in the back of a Falcon, ChevyII, Valiant, or Rambler American coupes. (awww...:( there were still 4 domestics)

Volkswagen TypeI? Less legroom and narrower. Corolla? About the same legroom as the ChevyII but much narrower car. Your feet have a place to go but you're shoulder to shoulder with the person next to you....closer if they are at all fat. Honda N600? Back seat's not suitable for humans of any size.

What do you expect from a tiny car powered by a 0.6 liters motorcycle engine ?

1977 Mustang II with a 5.0/automatic. Not knowing much about cars at the time, I figured it was normal for a Mustang II to rip 0-60 in about 6 seconds, get 11 mpg, and roar at just over 3000 rpm at 60 mph, all of this through a 2 bbl carb, pavement-pounding 139 hp (!) V8, but enough torque to pull the entire state of Ohio off its foundation. Thats when a better-informed friend crawled under the back and asked about the swapped rear end and why they went with that wild of a ratio. Then it all made sense.

Got off work early afternoon on one of the first sunny, warm days in spring, whipped around a corner and plowed right into a shiny blue Rx7. Who gets out? One of our biggest customers at the warehouse I worked in and had just left. I wanted to crawl under a rock and die right there. Very little damage at all to the Rx7, but the Mustang was now a parallelogram with significant structural damage. Liked the Rx7 I hit so much, went out and bought one about a week later. Drove it for almost 8 years, then got another one. And another.....

By sheer coincidence about three months later as I was driving through a small town north of where I lived, I found the Mustang, repainted and somewhat straightened, at a local mom & pop dealer. I pulled into the lot, an older guy came out, I started talking to him, told him about the accident, and asked him how much he was asking for the car. He leaned in and whispered "Dont ask. I saw how they fixed this car. You dont want it back, trust me......"

1972 Ford LTD 4 door. Drove it for two years then bought the 1970 Monte Carlo that I still own today.(26 years)

1969 Volkswagen Bug, in 2006. My mom convinced me to sell it because it would "not survive the trip to college." Wish I had it back
frown.gif

Wife is still driving her first, a 1999 Cavalier bought with 101k on it in 2006 for $2,000.

Last edited:
First vehicle was an Isuzu Pup. First car was a Subaru GL, with part time 4WD.

1994 Camaro Z28. 6 speed, leather, t-tops in medium quasar blue. Beautiful car. Stole her with 75k miles for $8,000 out the door. She has over 300k on her. The motor is currently sitting in my shop. Debating whether to rebuild the LT1 or do an LSX swap.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
1969 Volkswagen Bug, in 2006. My mom convinced me to sell it because it would "not survive the trip to college." Wish I had it back
frown.gif

Wife is still driving her first, a 1999 Cavalier bought with 101k on it in 2006 for $2,000.

Man, that V-Dub brings back memories. My parents had a '68 (I see your rear hood isn't original as the '68s didn't have vents), and my first car was a '64 Beetle in Pearl White.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back