question about Ford 6R80 tranmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody checked the fluid level (while stone cold) on this trans in an F150 pick up while it wasn't running, ie pull that fill plug after the truck has been sitting all night.

I'm wondering if it is possible to undo that crazy, idiotic "trans stick / fill plug" and not have fluid run out all over the place. If I could do that, I think I'd try to use my top side oil sucker to remove as much fluid as possible and then refill with the exact amount to eventually change the fluid out.

This truck is a 2011 FX4 with 51k miles on it. I'd like to change the filter and then do partial trans oil changes every engine oil service to keep from shocking the trans with a whole new batch of oil and have something go kerfluee! The trans shifts perfectly right now.

I hate going to the dealership for anything...

I won't feel insulted if ya'll tell me to get a brain transplant - just thinking like this may indicate that I do indeed need a new brain...

The cover for the dipstick is VERY close the the cat converter so it is better to loosen it up cold. Also I think a gorilla tightened it up at the factory because it was on extremely tight. What I did was replace the pan with one from Performance Automatic:

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/prod...-trans-pan.html

It has a drain plug and will give you a little extra capacity. Don't get their dipstick with it, it does not work all that well.

My 10 F150 FX4 has more than 76000 miles now.... I had ATM fluid filter changed at dealer around 68000 miles....til then periodic inspections underneath to make sure no leaks.....after fluid change tranny shifted differently for first couple of weeks til it "re-learned"........No problems whatsoever since new

There are aftermarket dipsticks that will solve the issue. That's the best way to deal with it.

Mine has 57K on it and it's time to change the fluid. I will be welding a drain plug on the OEM pan, and installing a real fill tube/dipstick.

The fluid has to be at operating temperature and engine running to check the fluid level, if it doesn't leak the level should be fine.
Suck the fluid out of the dipstick hole, measure the volume removed and replace with like amount. Leave the filter alone, it will last the life of the trans. If the filter needs replaced the trans does too.
Note the factory service manual states the fluid change for severe use is 150k miles.

Last edited:
Color me crazy, but I simply have the dealer take care of it instead of messing around with it. I have a good dealer (there are a few around that are worthless) and it is simply not worth it to me to do partial changes and worry about whether or not I filled the transmission properly or all the way--I would rather replace all of the fluid at once (but that is just me).

I did filter changes and complete fluid replacements with MC LV fluid at 13,300 and 71,400 miles. I set a 60K OCI on my 6R80 because I tow frequently. The UOAs of the LV fluid look good on both of them--the wear metals on the first OC was higher based on the mileage. It will interesting to see the UOA for the 131K change coming up.

All very good responses guys, thanks. But what I'm wondering is if the truck is parked overnite and I pull the trans plug/dipstick will fluid come running out or is the cold fluid level below the dipstick hole? If (hopefully) that is the case from here out I'll do a partial change every oil change. If not, then it's off to the dealer I go. Can anyone give me an idea of what a trans service at the dealer costs?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Color me crazy, but I simply have the dealer take care of it instead of messing around with it. I have a good dealer (there are a few around that are worthless) and it is simply not worth it to me to do partial changes and worry about whether or not I filled the transmission properly or all the way--I would rather replace all of the fluid at once (but that is just me).

I did filter changes and complete fluid replacements with MC LV fluid at 13,300 and 71,400 miles. I set a 60K OCI on my 6R80 because I tow frequently. The UOAs of the LV fluid look good on both of them--the wear metals on the first OC was higher based on the mileage. It will interesting to see the UOA for the 131K change coming up.

If you have a good dealer with a good trans tech, absolutely do this. Our transmission tech is awesome, he is quick, thorough, knowledgeable, and never recommends stuff a car does not need. He gets excited when a customer wants a pan drop instead of a flush so he can feel like he is actually doing something good for a change.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Can anyone give me an idea of what a trans service at the dealer costs?

Not sure where you are in Houston, but Mac Haik Ford on the Katy Freeway is a trustworthy dealer and Joe Meyers on 290 is good too; I would give one of them a call. Lone Star Ford on 45 (in addition to being in a dodgy part of town) is a bit dodgy and I would not trust them. I would not darken the doorstep of Planet or Randall Reed Ford unless you have deep pockets and are prepared to deal with the sales pitch they will drop on you.

Hope this helps!

Well what a coincidence - Mac Haik is where I bought the truck new! I know they're a good dealer to buy from, just not sure about the service end of the operation. Since the truck needs tires too maybe I'll just mix both jobs together and blow a whole day there while it gets the whole shebang.
Just gotta make sure I stay out of the new truck sales office - come to think of it buying a new truck would be one way to change the trans fluid and get new tires too.....

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
The cover for the dipstick is VERY close the the cat converter so it is better to loosen it up cold. Also I think a gorilla tightened it up at the factory because it was on extremely tight. What I did was replace the pan with one from Performance Automatic:

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/prod...-trans-pan.html

It has a drain plug and will give you a little extra capacity. Don't get their dipstick with it, it does not work all that well.

What don't you like about their dipstick? I bought one for my 2014 Mustang GT with this transmission but have not installed it yet.

I also thought about buying their pan but I'm worried about clearance issues.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back