Fram High Mileage filter - what are the additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up guys, I searched and didn't come across any threads specifically about this filter so here we go.

Filter in question is the Fram High Mileage. I came across this filter on Fram's website and had never even heard of it before. Their site states: "FRAM High Mileage filter contains a cartridge of proprietary detergents and compounds that maintain viscosity, reduce corrosive wear, neutralize acids and keep engine component cleaner".

I don't actually wanna use this filter as it's not exactly the most efficient filter on the market, but what exactly are the time released additives? Obviously a gimmicky product from Fram but I'm just curious as to what it actually offers.

Here's a link to this product's info on their site. You can see in the illustration that the cartridge is attached to the ADBV.

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-high-mileage-oil-filter.aspx#1

Anybody have experience, info, or opinions about these?

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Interesting, would like to know what is in their additive pack.

I've heard it has at least 1000ppm unicorn tears.

just Google it, they are $5 at walmarts around here, Ive never used one or know of anyone who has personally, but did see one cut open with low miles online and whatever's in there was already "melted" out. its just marketing gimic to get people with old, leaking, dying ride to buy. imo

A while back, some online retailer was blowing them out for $1.99 each, so I got some. So now you know someone who's been using them; I figure if I use a high mileage filter AND a high mileage oil, my engine will slowly rebuild itself from the inside.

Seriously, I doubt that the glop pellet in there makes much difference, either good or bad.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
What's up guys, I searched and didn't come across any threads specifically about this filter so here we go.

Filter in question is the Fram High Mileage. I came across this filter on Fram's website and had never even heard of it before. Their site states: "FRAM High Mileage filter contains a cartridge of proprietary detergents and compounds that maintain viscosity, reduce corrosive wear, neutralize acids and keep engine component cleaner".

I don't actually wanna use this filter as it's not exactly the most efficient filter on the market, but what exactly are the time released additives? Obviously a gimmicky product from Fram but I'm just curious as to what it actually offers.

Here's a link to this product's info on their site. You can see in the illustration that the cartridge is attached to the ADBV.

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-high-mileage-oil-filter.aspx#1

Anybody have experience, info, or opinions about these?

The highlighted word tells you all you're going to know. My understanding is it's designed to reduce TAN more than anything else. Minus the gel basket the HM is an orange can.

As for opinion(s) regarding the HM, a google search of this site should yield plenty of them.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
a gimmicky product from Fram
You mean ANOTHER gimmick product from FRAM...remember the DoubleGuard, with powdered Teflon in it?

From Donaldson website about the Endurance PLUS:
'This filter type has Donaldson Additive Replenishment Technology - it is a concentrated additive inside the filter that slowly releases into the oil during the life of the filter.'

I'm curious to know if there is any reality behind these words because I'm a non-beliver too.

If you use a quality oil and change it at intervals appropriate for the vehicle's use, you don't NEED anything else. I certainly don't want some unknown glop that may clash with the carefully balanced additive pack in my oil.

This is not meant as a knock against Donaldson...I believe they are a good company that makes high-quality products, and in HD diesel use, some filter-delivered additive may be beneficial.

my buddy asked me to change the oil today on his '94 1500 chevy with a TBI 350. he handed me 5 quarts QSUD 10W30 and a Fram High mileage HM5 filter. i actually felt bad as i was screwing it onto the engine.

Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The HM filter is an offshoot of a product we make for the HD market called TRT filters. (timed release technology). When HD trucks added egr systems, they had real issues with soot and acid formation in the oil, shortening the change interval. We developed custom filters with an internal additive basket for a huge delivery customer (UPS)to help them get back to the normal change intervals. It has been very successful in the HD market. Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. It is real science, just a matter of "does your vehicle really need it". You did question the efficiency of the HM, it is the same as the EG filter at 95.7%@20 microns.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The HM filter is an offshoot of a product we make for the HD market called TRT filters. (timed release technology). When HD trucks added egr systems, they had real issues with soot and acid formation in the oil, shortening the change interval. We developed custom filters with an internal additive basket for a huge delivery customer (UPS)to help them get back to the normal change intervals. It has been very successful in the HD market. Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. It is real science, just a matter of "does your vehicle really need it". You did question the efficiency of the HM, it is the same as the EG filter at 95.7%@20 microns.

MK, does FRAM recommend using a HM oil with the FRAM HM oil filter?

It does sound like the additive would improve TBN numbers somewhat, possibly by releasing Ca or Mg into the oil in a time-release fashion? Maybe in a sludged short-tripper or an engine with excessive blowby it could help lengthen oil life. Personally sounds like it would work with either regular dino or HM oils.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,

Thank you very much for this reply. I love it when an insider sheds light on a product, it really adds credibility to the brand if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It does sound like the additive would improve TBN numbers somewhat, possibly by releasing Ca or Mg into the oil in a time-release fashion? Maybe in a sludged short-tripper or an engine with excessive blowby it could help lengthen oil life. Personally sounds like it would work with either regular dino or HM oils.

The additives have already proven themselves in the HD market as Motorking already stated. I think its a good idea, although personally i wish they would use the higher quality Tough Guard media with the high mileage additives. The important factor that the HM filter helps with is TAN, but i am sure it helps the TBN too. I wouldn't feel bad about using one of these filters. If it's the same as the HD additive, Fram says this about them..

Over Base Detergent –neutralizes oil acidity
Anti-Oxidants - limits oil oxidation

http://framheavyduty.com/products/oil-filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back