First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979 MG Midget SunRunner
It won a Top Gear award too
laugh.gif

http://www.bbcamerica.com/top-gear/extras/rate-my-ride-2013/

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Mine was a '57 Ford Country Sedan Sta Wgn, with 292, Ford-O-matic, 3.56 rear, P/S P/B and add on A/C...

Originally Posted By: DGarner211
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
66 Ford Falcon.

Wow, mine was a 1965 Ford Falcon. Futura coupe with the 289 Hi-Po. Great car. I wish I still had it. It looked exactly like this one.

Lonnie_Wing-65_Ford_Falcon-1024x768.jpg

If you had a REAL '65 Falcon with 289 Hi-Po you should have kept it as only seven were produced

Quote:
Armed with a few leads, Joe started digging up the Falcon's past and quickly learned it was built in Canada in 1965 as one of only seven Falcons equipped with Ford's 271hp Hi-Po 289, an engine that was not a regular production option for Falcons in Canada or stateside that year. The specially prepped cars were sold to drag racers through performance-oriented dealerships to promote the Ford brand.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0511_1965_ford_falcon/#ixzz2nawo9DXO

Wow -- I have no idea if it was a numbers match, but that's the information I had when I bought it. Perhaps it was just the garden variety 289 that someone hopped up. I bought it in 1985, so it had 20 years of history at that point.

Interesting!

Wow -- I have no idea if it was a numbers match, but that's the information I had when I bought it. Perhaps it was just the garden variety 289 that someone hopped up. I bought it in 1985, so it had 20 years of history at that point.

Interesting!

Yeah a buddy had one as well when it was three years old, was 4-speed with 2bbl 289(that we put a cam, 4bbl in, etc), AFAIK the 2bbl 289 was Falcon's only V8 option in '65, not even a std perf 4bbl could be ordered... Stangs, Fairlane & Cyclone could be ordered with the Hi-Po...

Ford was having difficulty keeping up with 289 production due to the popularity of the Mustang, unfortunately the Falcon suffered...

1995 Honda Accord 2.7 V6. Gave it a new cheap paint job (Maaco) after it was in its first fender bender. It had leather seats, a sunroof, and a 6 disc (stock) cd changer in the trunk. I miss that car. Traded for the Accord in my sig.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I'd like to know what your first car was. Simple as that.

1985 Dodge Omni.
Ugly gray car with red leatherette.
It died one year later (exhaust rusted out). I think my parents were ripped-off when they spent $6000 on that car.

All my future cars I picked myself (instead of letting my parents choose the model), and they were much nicer looking.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

Interesting!

Yeah a buddy had one as well when it was three years old, was 4-speed with 2bbl 289(that we put a cam, 4bbl in, etc), AFAIK the 2bbl 289 was Falcon's only V8 option in '65, not even a std perf 4bbl could be ordered... Stangs, Fairlane & Cyclone could be ordered with the Hi-Po...

Ford was having difficulty keeping up with 289 production due to the popularity of the Mustang, unfortunately the Falcon suffered...

That's a shame, too, because it was a really good platform. Very light for a bigger car, but not quite as small (especially in the back) as the Mustang.

My uncle had a 1965 Comet, also with a 289, that was really clean. His had the auto transmission, and it also had the factory under-dash air conditioner. I would have loved to own that car. It wasn't as fast as mine by a fair shot, but it was a whole lot more reliable and comfortable, and in much better shape. It was a beautiful off-white color, too. Not sure if that was factory or not (mine wasn't -- it was Pepsi Cola Blue Imron paint that was sprayed on a couple of years before I bought it), but it was a lovely paint job.

1986 Mustang LX 2.3 with a 4 speed. Bought in 1992 with 58k. Retired in 2005 with 175k. Original engine and trans.

depends on what you mean by "Your First Car"
I was 19 before i had one in my own name,
a 93 Corsica, 2.2l 4cyl (Mom's old car,which she replaced with a brand new 99 Taurus, 3.0 Vulcan) but only had it for a month, before gramps passed, and i got his car, (87 Olds 98, 3.8l V6)with the Corsica going to my big sister.

before that i split my drive time between the Corsica, or dad's 94 Aerostar, 3.0 Vulcan)

Originally Posted By: blackman777
Originally Posted By: Red91
I'd like to know what your first car was. Simple as that.

1985 Dodge Omni.
Ugly gray car with red leatherette.
It died one year later (exhaust rusted out). I think my parents were ripped-off when they spent $6000 on that car.

All my future cars I picked myself (instead of letting my parents choose the model), and they were much nicer looking.

might i ask when that was... My folks bought an 85 omni NEW, for $5000. of course it was the most basic of base models silver outside, grey interior, 4speed manual(though it thought it had a 5 speed, sometimes the upshift light would come in in 4th), Peugeot engine,no AC,no power anything, didn't even come with a radio...(dad had an AM only unit installed)
my folks drove it until '90, then my brother got it, he moved to Texas clampett style in it in '92, year later my cousin bought it from him, and drove it until about 96-97, at which point the floor pan had rusted out.

Last edited:
1986 Ford Thunderbird base model.

3.8 headgasket eating V6 coupled to a 3 speed auto. 120 horsepower and mediocre interstate MPG with the lack of OD.

All that complained...one of the best looking vehicles I have ever owned in my opinion. I'd love to have another fox body bird...and the budget to make it more pleasant to drive.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Same here. Mine was silver with a black top and black interior
smile.gif

1981 Olds Omega in 2001. My great-aunt in Vancouver gave it to me, with 80k km. 5 digit odometer and the guy who bought off me tried to sell it 2 years later stating it had 50k km on it...
I liked it, had a big boat car feel with decent mileage.

First Car: 2001 Taurus. I drove it from 19000-75000. At which point it because too rusty to be safe (2010).

First car in my name: 2000 Cherokee in signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back