Semi-Deep Impact Sockets for Tire/Wheel Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a tool order to make and am considering some semi-deep 19mm and 21mm impact sockets for tire/wheel work.

This is the socket that I am referring to:

http://store.snapon.com/Semi-Deep-mm-Socket-Metric-Semi-Deep-19mm-6-pt--P651116.aspx

While a normal deep socket will work, my thought is that a semi-deep socket will be easier to control (when it's attached a torque stick) during installation. Plus during removal, in extreme cases, a semi-deep socket may have less loss of torque than a deep socket.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It looks like it should come in handy when you get one of those Jeeps or Dodge trucks where the lugs just plain aren't going to unscrew and need to be broken off.

I can't see torque being an issue considering the wall thickness. I use Craftsman deep well with no issues, but I don't use sticks. I generally follow up with a torque wrench.

I find I use regular depth impact sockets a lot.

When you have recessed mags or hub caps and it is difficult to start the lug nut on with your fingertips I like to take a socket on the end of a short extension and drop the lug nut into it.

Then I can use this to reach in easier to start the nut on.

A deeper socket the lug nuts just drop in to the bottom, so there are instances when deep is too deep.

The Mastercraft Maximum sets of 1/2" drive impact sockets work very well.

Snap On is overkill for lug nuts IMO. Unless the company pays your tools...

I keep life simple and use a short extension if I have to. I prefer to keep my tool drawers clean of "redundant" or "extra" equipment. I do have a full set of standard sockets and a full set of deep well sockets. I would personally find little value in one or two "semi-deep well" sockets.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Plus during removal, in extreme cases, a semi-deep socket may have less loss of torque than a deep socket.

The "loss of torque" from a normal deep socket is going to be so small it is unmeasurable in that situation... don't take my word for it, go through the torsional beam calculations for two sockets, one 55.9mm and one 82.6mm length. What extra deflection at what applied torque does the normal socket have that the semi-deep does not?

I would not buy special half-deep sockets for wheel useage.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Plus during removal, in extreme cases, a semi-deep socket may have less loss of torque than a deep socket.

The "loss of torque" from a normal deep socket is going to be so small it is unmeasurable in that situation... don't take my word for it, go through the torsional beam calculations for two sockets, one 55.9mm and one 82.6mm length. What extra deflection at what applied torque does the normal socket have that the semi-deep does not?

I would not buy special half-deep sockets for wheel useage.

I think he means that there is less mass to the socket so it delivers more torque to the nut. I use an electric impact as well and the difference is noticeable between a short and long socket of equal size. For lug nuts I don't really think it matters for car sized lugs. If I ever take a wheel off my tractor, I would use a shallow socket as I'll need every ftlb.

I have all the air tools, etc for wheel offs and on for the 5 cars at home. Do the wheel swaps 2x per year for winter tire/all season tire changes. Ended up I just use a plain old star wrench. Finish off with a proper torque wrench with regular deep socket. Less fuss, less noise doing it "old school". Plus you get a better feel if the nut is seated correctly etc.

I like my "protected" lug stud sockets.. They have a plastic sheath and don't scratch up the alloy wheels as much
smile.gif

HF sells the ones for fancy wheels and lug nuts. I bought a set, they look fine. Also in some cases you need a 1/2 size larger for the chrome plated/rusted lugs nuts, so 18.5mm or 19.5 mm.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think he means that there is less mass to the socket so it delivers more torque to the nut. I use an electric impact as well and the difference is noticeable between a short and long socket of equal size.

Never noticed any difference with my electric impact.
21.gif
Then again I don't notice that my cars drive differently after an oil change or on a specific brand of fuel.

I am skeptical that one could tell the difference between a 55.9mm and 82.6mm long socket of otherwise equal construction spinning along their axis - if wobbling around a loose square shaft, perhaps!

But if one develops more torque than the other, you are using your impact gun at the limits of its capabilities.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

But if one develops more torque than the other, you are using your impact gun at the limits of its capabilities.

This is just the sort of thing that can happen when the nice guy who screwed the nut on was using his impact gun at the limits of its capabilities. Also consider that socket length can make a difference as to whether or not a second person is needed to operate the breaker bar with the 8 foot pipe on it.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
I like my "protected" lug stud sockets.. They have a plastic sheath and don't scratch up the alloy wheels as much
smile.gif

Those plastic sleeves will crack after a while.

I have found that tape does the same thing for a lot less $$, not that I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back