cold start up 2 second chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 Elantra with 97K and never heard this noise until a couple of days ago. I then heard it, a very distinct chatter like sound when starting the engine after it sat overnight and then when starting that night when leaving work and then the next morning. Has started twice since without the sound. I'm not sure if temperature is a factor here. Some MD Elantra owners have this start up noise since new. Since mine is only after 97K I'm thinking something has changed to cause my noise. Would a pcv possibly have anything to do with oil pressure on start up? I use OEM filter and TGMO. How could I assure I'm getting oil to the top end before starting the engine? I will monitor this as the temperature drops this weekend and see if it may be a contributing factor.

uh no, pcv is part of emissions nothing to do with lubrication on startup.

Oil probably drained out of the filter overnight leading to some startup noise for a second or 2.

could try just changing the filter to see if it helps.

Temp is partly the factor .

That noise is annoying but harmless , takes a second or 2 for the oil to get to the valve lifters is all . You may want to try a different brand of oil filter at you next OCI .

I'm sure some will chime in with suggestions .

We've got an Elantra and an Accent. Both have always had a little tick/chatter at cold starts. Nature of the beast I guess. Currently using 5w30 QSUD. No difference with oem filter or napa 1334.

Last edited:
I think its the cvvt that clatters. The variable valve timing is probably affected by oil drain back. Even if its an oem filter, you could get one with a bad anti drain back. Try another oem filter.

Quote:
Even if its an oem filter, you could get one with a bad anti drain back. Try another oem filter.

Yeah I was thinking of swapping on another filter. I bought 10 from a dealership (they say) on ebay, they certainly look like OEM filters if they're not, have the Hyundai badge stamped on internal post and folds on filter material look nice and thick. I did recently change the filter and oil so I was thinking about trying another filter, maybe save the current one for summer.

When i ran TGMO 0w20 with oem filter on my corolla I noticed the same thing. The Toyota 5w30 had less noise on startup and seemed alot smoother. Was it oil or oil weight that made the difference? Im not sure but the TGMO made my engine tick and sounded louder at all temps than the 5w30 dino toyota oil. Personally I know it wont cause any issues but still it bothers me! Running 5w20 PU and its still loud on startup but very quiet once warm. I will be experimenting. Try another oil on your next oci and see if you notice a difference.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Yeah I was thinking of swapping on another filter. I bought 10 from a dealership (they say) on ebay, they certainly look like OEM filters ........

Every OEM filter from Hyundai has always had plastic wrap over the openings that had to be removed before install. Do these eBay ones have that? I also agree with replacing filter IF this noise wasn't present before last filter change

Quote:
Every OEM filter from Hyundai has always had plastic wrap over the openings that had to be removed before install. Do these eBay ones have that?

yes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151169406766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I think its the cvvt that clatters. The variable valve timing is probably affected by oil drain back. Even if its an oem filter, you could get one with a bad anti drain back. Try another oem filter.

This is probably the issue. This same thing happens with Toyota 2AR-FE engines. The variable valve system is oil-powered, when the oil drains out the timing chain is not slack but it doesn't move exactly with the valves because the pressure on the chain is not equal during the entire 360 rotation. This causes a rapid *ching*ching*ching*ching*ching* when it starts up. While a nice ADBV will help this situation, it will happen even if you have a fully working ADBV because it takes a second for pressure to build in the system. At least, this is the case with the Toyota 2AR-FE. The clatter itself, while annoying, is harmless. The "fix" for this, if you can call it that, is to rip apart the valve train and install a little ADBV just for the VVT-i setup that keeps just a little bit of oil pressure in the variable valve assembly mounted on the front of the cam shaft.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Quote:
Every OEM filter from Hyundai has always had plastic wrap over the openings that had to be removed before install. Do these eBay ones have that?

yes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151169406766?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

is the shrinkwrap supposed to have logos on it?

I dont remember.

There are MANY counterfeits out there.. not saying those are

maybe its the parts room guy who helped himself to some 5 finger discount.. but that seller doesnt provoke confidence..

Last edited:
I replaced the oil filter and filled the new one with oil and started the car and no chatter. The old filter seemed to have a decent amount of oil in it. The temp was 32F. If the bypass valve was faulty could this also be the problem? The filter sits at about a 75° angle so not much of the oil would drain out with a faulty ADBV.

I'm using a 5w-20 synthetic oil and Hyundai OEM filter. We just had a cold snap hit last week and temp 25 a couple mornings. Haven't notice any noise difference on start up that I can tell.
My filter sits base up.

Quote:
If the bypass valve was faulty could this also be the problem? The filter sits at about a 75° angle so not much of the oil would drain out with a faulty ADBV.

Any input on this? Stayed in with the snow today so didn't fire it up. (Might as well use a personal day)
smile.gif

So the chatter or whatever it is still haunts me. To determine if this is related to oil pressure at start up how about I pull a fuse to either the fuel pump or ignition and crank it and put the fuse back and fire it up? If I knew for certain this isn't a problem I would just live with it but since it is a new sound and my car now has 97K mi. I want to stay on top of this if it is a problem. Will get a sound clip and post it if I can.

Have heard the chatter a couple of times in the last couple of weeks. Strange how it is intermittent like that. If it is cvvt noise would mixing a small amount of 0w-40 with the TGMO possibly help the situation? I know this would normally be a summer blend.

This engine has a timing chain correct, perhaps its just the oil pressure chain tensioner allowing the chain to rattle before building up pressure. But it does seem a good ADBV would keep it pumped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back