What filter would you chose: Amsoil or WIX/NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not familiar with the Amsoil filter. How good are they really. Love the WIX/NAPA Gold .....they are top in my book.

If you don't factor in price, then my vote would be for the amsoil, if the filter is mounted straight down (some people have doubts about the adbv in the amsoil). If you factor in price, or if your filter mounts from the side or top, then my vote would be for the wix.

Wix all the way! A very well made great flowing filter for under $6. It's like a sore D*** you just can't beat it!
grin.gif

Amsoil filters are repackaged Baldwin filters, and are identical. (At least this was the case in two different "cut open" filter photo websites I've seen.) Find out the Baldwin part # for the Amsoil filter in question by using Baldwin's cross reference feature at their website. Both Wix and Baldwin are first-rate filters. If you e-mail Wix and Baldwin asking for the media area for a given filter, they'll promptly get back to you with that info, a good basis for comparison. Other aspects, such as bypass pressures, etc., are readily available at their websites. Both use a comparable premium fiberglass/cellulose media with filtration in the 10-20 micron range. Wix's, Napa Golds, and CarQuest Premium Blue filters are all identical. The Wix lines also feature open-end bypass valves, which are desirable since they're less likely to dump debris back into the engine. But many brands of first-rate filters have closed-end bypass, so this isn't a huge issue.

[ November 07, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Have been using the WIX on our four cars with great satisfaction........giess I keep using them, especially since they are only $5.40 at our local O'Reilly's store

quote:

Amsoil filters are repackaged Baldwin filters, and are identical.

Just because they look alike does not make them identical. The major part of the oil filter, the media cannot not be judged by visual comparisons. You would have analyze it under a microscope to determine if there are any differences. Amsoil says the media is their own proprietary design and that Hastings and Baldwin do not use it. I would not be surprised if Hastings is the one who designed it for them and offered them exclusive rights to the design, Amsoil is a major marketer of Hastings filters in the USA and have been using them the manifacture their oi filter line for better than 20 yrs.

[ November 08, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Yo, Mike! Yes, you're correct -- that was a mispeak on my part. The construction of the Amsoil and Baldwin filters are identical, and the medias appear identical. But as you pointed out, two media papers can appear identical (such as the Mobil 1 and K&N medias), but actually have subtle variations in micron ratings (as is the case with M1 and KN). I suspect the medias for Amsoils and Baldwins are more similar than dissimilar, but comparing the manufacturers' micron claims could help answer this question. They both appear first-rate filters -- it might come down to an availability or cost factor.

Tough call. I'd use Wix anyway though; I like the way they are designed, and 'seem' to work well in my applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back