quiet generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Northstar generator with a Honda gx 390 engine.Does anyone know if there is a muffler upgrade that would make it quieter? Does Honda offer upgrade options?Maybe something plug and play without too much fabrication.

Do Honda use the GX390 in any of their inverter generators? Maybe the exhaust system from one of those might fit.

I've seen YouTube videos of people who have adapted automotive mufflers to their generators, but that would require a bit more fab...

I did add a second muffler to my Winco 5KW generator, engine is a B&S Vanguard 11HP. It did quiet it down but not as much as I expected, the mechanical noise became dominant. Next step was to built an enclosure with fans. I did not do it because the generator will not be portable and worried about having the generator and gas tank inside an enclosure (fume and spark?).

I also have a Honda EU6500is. It use a GX390 engine. The muffler is extremely quiet. It is mounted diagonally behind the flywheel/alternator and I doubt it can be retrofitted to other generator because of the compact and custom design. The multi-phase alternator is the one that feed the inverter, it is more compact than a conventional generator. This generator is very quiet, I cannot hear it in the house when is running on the back patio. It is also powerful, it can run the first floor central AC in low stage. The unit is a two stage 3 tons (36K BTU) high efficiency (SEER 20).

Doesn't it have a giant muffler on it already? It's been 6yrs or so since I've bought a CHonda gen, but even those had small car sized mufflers on them.

Like said, mechanical clatter and hum from the gen head produce lots of the noise.

Isn't a Gx390 about 11 hp? Something huge is gonna be loud.

My 5.5hp gen has a ford festiva sized muffler and is quiet enough.

Post pics of the thing including its exhaust flange style.

I have had some success quieting down a small 80CC generator motor using a homemade Muffler, fabricated out of a Motorcraft FL400S oil filter and bolted to the existing muffler. Here are some photo's of how I did it all.

I hollowed out the filter and replaced the media with some steel wool I had laying around.

I than drilled three holes into the bottom of the filter housing to affix snug underneath the spark arrestor clamp, the larger centre hole for exhaust flow.

The housing fit snug underneath the spark arrestor clamp.

Finished_zps33ffd31d.jpg

I used some high temperature silicone adhesive to seal off the filter inlets and control the flow of exhaust through the makeshift steel wool media. I also used the silicone adhesive to affix the support leaf spring in place, you can see that in the first photo. To top it off I used a hose clamp to affix the filter backing plate snug into the housing that way it can be easily disassembled for cleaning. Pretty easy and affordable way to quiet your exhaust down but the motor assembly will still be loud on it's own. A thicker oil helps to quiet it all down a little too.

P.S I used only materials I had at my disposal, I made no special trips to the hardware store for this.

I have an 11HP Subaru powered generator. I added a "can" muffler to the existing muffler. It works wonderfully to quiet it down.

Surplus centers often sell generator mufflers, as do tractor places. On ebay, there were 1 inch x 12 inch generator can mufflers for $12 for many years, but I don't see them now.

Also, motorcycle and ATV mufflers work well as "add ons".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back