What's the worst oil filter out there ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one you'd NEVER put on your vehicle ?
thanks,
confused.gif

Alan

Of 7 different brands, mostly priced about the same, the Fram I cut open, only had about half the filter area of the next worst. Add in thrown together with cardboard endcaps and plastic relief valves. If I keep my 77 LUV as much longer as I have, never again will it see a PH 3590.

The WORST oil filter?...the one that looks like it'll fit, screws on OK, but has very different characteristics from what the engine designer spec'ed.

Ken

Well......I would say that the Fram extra guard is the worst, from what I have seen. I used the Fram toughgard for years, and had absolutely no problems whatsoever, but I wouldn't use them again.

Yeah, I guess the Frams take the cake. Funny thing is theye the most popular too. Amazing what a good marketing campaign can do .

quote:

Originally posted by grcmptrnrd:
Without a Doubt...Fram Tough Guard

Oops...I meant the extra guard. But now that I think of it, I may change my opinion to the Double Guard. If memory serves me right, it's an extra guard with Teflon added--and that's prett much agreed not to do any good for an engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
The WORST oil filter?...the one that looks like it'll fit, screws on OK, but has very different characteristics from what the engine designer spec'ed.

Ken

Very good point. I am quick to knock Frams, but the truth is I am hard put to describe any problem I had from using them for years on my truck back when I didn't know any better. Then there was the EMPI or some such I bought at K-Mart because it was all they had in 1977 that fit my truck. Filters for furrin things were harder to find then. It was big and fat like the factory filter, and screwed right on. A few days later, the gasket bulged out and lost the oil. I put it back on and tightened it up good. After it happened again a few days later, I had it towed to the dealership. They pointed out the gasket on the cheapy filter was not down in a groove like it needed to be, and were very emphatic about using an AC like I should have.

Eventually I tired of paying jobber prices for AC's and discovered I could buy the fine, trusted old name Fram much cheaper and still get the gasket retaining groove. Since PF 1177's are hard to find, I am using ST's now. It is sad that the market leader ever since I can remember, is inferior the the cheapest thing you can buy at Wal-Mart.

FRAM
thumbsdown.gif
Also any filter made by them covered up by a different paint job trying to trick the people in the "know" about them.LOL
twak.gif

[ October 27, 2003, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: BIGJ552000 ]

I used to use FRAMs all the time until two of them failed on two different cars. I had to use OEM oil filters on those cars and I moved away from FRAM. I started to lose faith in brand name products.

Be aware that some oil filters are just FRAMs with a different name and paint job. For example, I believe that Pennzoil and Quaker State oil filters are FRAMs. I am almost certain that FRAMs were used as the replacement oil filters for Saturn SL1s and SL2s. And FRAMs sometimes are used as OEM oil filters for cars/trucks.

The worst oil filter...

How about the one thats already on the car...and you didn't change it last OC either , and you can't get it @#$% off!...and now you've mangled it or maybe put a screw driver through it...and it still won't come off, and its getting dark outside, and you absolutely need your car first thing in the morning...

THAT is the worst oil filter!!!
mad.gif
wink.gif

Geeman,
I bet most people @ least once in theyre life has overtightened a filter, good point. All of a sudden a simple oil change turns into a project ..
Get out the ole chain wrench ...
wink.gif

The worst oil filter I think I ever came across was a no-name at the old "Ole's" national hardware chain in their "automotive" section. (Ya gotta wonder about a chain's financial health when the best they can do for a celebrity spokesperson is Phyllis Diller... A year or so later, "Ole's" went bust.) This filter was in a dark blue and white box with a circle, but, no "AC" within the circle - just, "Oil Filter". (At least the manufacturer wasn't bumping hard against the truth-in-advertsing regulations...) I had no idea who really made it, but I'm confident AC didn't. I was only 27 or 28 at the time and didn't know squat about filtration (still don't), but THAT one scared me enough that I wasn't even tempted - even at only 59 cents.

Jelly...

That one filter adventure was courtesy of the local Honda dealer; in the words of the IDIOT! service manager "they have to be on super tight, otherwise they could FALL OFF!? and destroy your engine..." C'mon now!!! I think they used an impact wrench to put that sucker on!

Live and learn...

...And do it yourself if possible!
wink.gif

In the USA it's probably Fram, but in this part we have a company who makes one size element and puts it in all sizes of canisters with bigger or smaller springs to hold it in place. the valve doesn't seal either. The label some with their own name, others with Toyota, others with Volvo, Nissan, etc. No truth in advertising. Fotos on my site.

Maybe Fram does the same. The element in the huge PH 3590 I cut open would fit in many of the smaller cans. I only ever cut open one Fram, and haven't bought another since.

quote:

Originally posted by biscuitboy:
Without a doubt the Fram Double Guard (w/PTFE). Very likely the cause of my Accord motor's premature death at 100K mi.
crushedcar.gif

Hmmmm.....care to expand on that a bit? Sorry to dredge up potentially bad memories but I for one would be interested in hearing the story.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back