Fusion didn't want to start AGAIN after fueling

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened last week, and just happened again tonight. I go to fuel up the car, DO NOT top off, then when I go to restart it, it doesn't want to start for a good 5 or 6 seconds. Then it runs rough for about 10 seconds, then everything is fine. Through research, this sounds possibly like a bad evap purge valve. Does that sound like a possible culprit?

It could be the evap purge valve, it could also be injector related. I'd shoot Trav a PM, if he doesn't see this thread, and he'll point in in the right direction.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer.

I think so too. It's still under the powertrain warranty for another 2 years, I just hate having to arrange my affairs to take the car in, get a loaner, etc. But I suppose I have to.

I will also mention that this hard start never ever happens otherwise. It has ONLY happened immediately after the last 2 fill-ups, and I do not top off.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Sounds like you need to make a trip to the dealer.

I think so too. It's still under the powertrain warranty for another 2 years, I just hate having to arrange my affairs to take the car in, get a loaner, etc. But I suppose I have to.

Dealer time. More important than anything else is to
GET THE PROBLEM DOCUMENTED AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE, so that in the event that solving it becomes difficult you will have recourse in the future even after the warranty expires.

That being said it would be interesting to put a OBDII scan tool on it to see if any "pending codes" are stored. I'm assuming that the CEL is not lighted?

Cars now store the vapors that come from fuel filling.Somehow that fuel is going straight to the throttle body and flooding it.

I had something similar happen to my 2011 f-250 with the 6.2 liter gas engine, I also experienced random stalling as well as hard starting after a fill up. For me it was the evap purge valve. I was out of warranty with over 60k on the truck so I bought a cheap OBDII scanner and had a couple codes, one was O2 sensors reading rich, can't remember the other right now but they pointed me to a Ford service bulletin for a few vehicles including 2011 Fusions but not my truck. I looked up part number for the valve online and for 2011 the 6.2 uses the same one as the Fusions, Millans and others. I bought a new Motorcraft valve from Rock Auto for about $40, had it installed about 30 minutes after it arrived and my truck has been fine almost 10k miles later. Good luck!

One of our '11 Fusion Hybrids at work had its evap purge valve replaced at the dealer. It didn't have the start start issue, but it did show the MIL.

Noisey EVAP purge solenoid ... I have a Cherokee and I am well familiar with that.

Definitely sounds like an EVAP problem. We had a Jeep that (likely) had an EVAP problem - it would stall if you fueled it while running. Strangest thing ever.

Any stored code?

Something else to try. Mimic the scenario but don't actually fill the gas. For example, drive to the gas station and grab a cup of coffee, taking exactly the same time as before and see if it is the hot restart with 90 second interval is causing it. I know my Maxima had a time interval period where it did not like hot restart.

I am sure you can come up with similar cases to see if it is indeed because the full tank of gas was added or not.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Any stored code?

Something else to try. Mimic the scenario but don't actually fill the gas. For example, drive to the gas station and grab a cup of coffee, taking exactly the same time as before and see if it is the hot restart with 90 second interval is causing it. I know my Maxima had a time interval period where it did not like hot restart.

I am sure you can come up with similar cases to see if it is indeed because the full tank of gas was added or not.

I might just do this. I'm also going to try sometime next week refuelling, but not all the way. Maybe like 2 or 3 gallons worth of gas, and see if the problem still exists.

I just remembered something as well. Many Fords have something called "diagnostic mode" where you can get OBDII codes and other data right on the car multifunction readout..does the Fusion support that feature? If so maybe someone here can tell you how to activate it. At least you could check for any codes that might be stored.

Again you didn't mention...is the CEL lighted? If not there still can be "pending codes" that do not light the lamp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I just remembered something as well. Many Fords have something called "diagnostic mode" where you can get OBDII codes and other data right on the car multifunction readout..does the Fusion support that feature? If so maybe someone here can tell you how to activate it. At least you could check for any codes that might be stored.

On my Ranger it is done by car off, key out of ignition. press and hold odo trip button. Start car and wait until display reads "test" (I think). Release button. Pressing the trip button will cycle through the modes. First two are gauge light check and needle sweep. Past that your on your own as it is mostly gibberish to me. Strangely enough my Mazda has this mode too. Must have been a carryover from the Ford days.

As proof, can you video it? Will it happen on any fillup? If so, fill it up every few days and video the start.

It's the purge valve. Ford knows about this. Part is about $40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back