Is it worth paying to update drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scanned my computer with driver update and it says i have 15 drivers that need updated. It wants me to register and pay $30. Is this worth it or something I should do?

I wouldn't pay to update them. I'm a firm believer that unless your having a problem with a specific piece of hardware, keep the driver you currently have.

The only exception I'd make is for graphics cards which may have performance improvements with different drivers for newer games.

Last edited:
What drivers does it want you to update? Drivers are generally free from the manufacturer of the device they control. You should be able to go to the device manufacturer's website (the maker of your printer, sound card, storage device, etc.) and download the latest driver for free. If you have a Windows computer you can install the driver through the Device Manager. You shouldn't need to register and pay through third party scanner software.

Sounds like some type of malware or virus to me, drivers are free.. You should never be charged for them. Unless it's some kinda legit auto updater, but that's still crazy you can get them directly from the manufacturer at no charge

Last edited:
Short answer? No.

+1 scam or at least something to dig into your wallet.

If everything works like it should, I don't generally update except for security.

Last edited:
You need to remove the program you scanned your computer with since it is a complete scam. Windows update will inform you when new drivers are available (or install them automatically) and will never charged for them.

It's a scam and your computer is in grave danger.

I can help. Send $50 to the paypal email address in the PM I just sent you.

You're welcome.

Thanks guys its not a scam...its from windows. i went to their website and downloaded program...I had 15 that needed updated and I just went to NVidia and downloaded the upgraded driver from them..just rescanned and now it shows just 14 that need upgrading. The others are mostly intel.....I just cant find the ones I need from intel. But it sounds like I do not need to upgrade if im not having problems. thanks again

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Thanks guys its not a scam...its from windows. i went to their website and downloaded program...

Which program exactly is it? Do you have a link? Still sounds like a scam.

I agree with replies above: Neither Microsoft nor hardware OEMs charge for driver updates.
And if your PC is working well, don't worry about updating the drivers.

Thanks guys its not a scam...its from windows. i went to their website and downloaded program...I had 15 that needed updated and I just went to NVidia and downloaded the upgraded driver from them..just rescanned and now it shows just 14 that need upgrading. The others are mostly intel.....I just cant find the ones I need from intel. But it sounds like I do not need to upgrade if im not having problems. thanks again

It is NOT from Microsoft. Any drivers they provide are FREE through Windows Update, but are sourced from the OEM.

If you want to update your drivers, as everybody mentioned, they are FREE.

Intel has a driver update tool on their website (FREE) and you just need to visit intel.com and use it.

This IS a scam and it probably IS Malware.

...its from windows.

NO IT AIN'T. Anyone can put a M$ logo on their scam software and send you to a site that uses M$ logos on it to appear legit or official. If anyone is asking for money for hardware drivers it is miles from being legit.

I must mention that if you ever want to never have to worry about this garbage again you can check out Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

OP, the opportunity has probably passed here, but if you could post a screen shot of the window asking for the payment, I think it'd be great evidence one way or the other.

Thanks guys its not a scam...its from windows. i went to their website and downloaded program...I had 15 that needed updated and I just went to NVidia and downloaded the upgraded driver from them..

But Windows doesn't charge for that. If you're actually willing to pay another site to do what the Windows Update site does for free, then I suppose it's not a scam from your perspective.

But, from my perspective, Windows itself is a scam. Perception is everything, I suppose.

Seems $30 is the going rate for some of the driver update software.

As others have suggested, there are free options out there.

Thanks guys the name of the program is driver update,,,lol now im trying to figure out again how i got there.. this is a program from a large company that makes a lot of free computer programs that are all legit.

When and if I figure it out I will post it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back