Changing Dexcool Too Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It screws on, I'm curious is Kinetico filtered drinking water an acceptable substitute for distilled water? It's a pretty elaborate filter setup, and the mechanic who used to work on this car said that's what he uses, so it can't be too far off.

Distilled, or de-ionized, reverse osmosis water, but the distilled is .88/gallon at any Sino Mart on Earth.
wink.gif

Our work trucks (03-09 GM 1500) lose thermostats taking Deathcool to 100k. Have one (09) right now in the shop with right at 100k, with a stuck thermostat, original coolant. In the past they stuck open, this one stuck close. After replacing thermostats on all of them when getting stuck I decided to reduce it from 100k to 50k interval. This truck hadn't had its maintenance reevaluated since the interval change.

I know Honda factory coolant has no problem going to 100k. Personal vehicle and company vehicle cooling systems are pristine after 100k.

Looks like it might has been covered under warranty, oh well: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/2007-2009-model-year-gm-5yr-100k-powertrain-warranty-80432/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Our work trucks (03-09 GM 1500) lose thermostats taking Deathcool to 100k. Have one (09) right now in the shop with right at 100k, with a stuck thermostat, original coolant. In the past they stuck open, this one stuck close. After replacing thermostats on all of them when getting stuck I decided to reduce it from 100k to 50k interval. This truck hadn't had its maintenance reevaluated since the interval change.

I know Honda factory coolant has no problem going to 100k. Personal vehicle and company vehicle cooling systems are pristine after 100k.

Looks like it might has been covered under warranty, oh well: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f53/2007-2009-model-year-gm-5yr-100k-powertrain-warranty-80432/

Absolutely hilarious to us, as we run a fleet of GM V8 5.3's and 6.0's in Silverado 1500's and 3500 series vans.

We simply NEVER touch thermostats. As a matter of fact, we run all new vehicles to component failure with original Dex fill! That is generally around 200k miles or even more.

I can't imagine what would explain the issues you are having. maybe it's our sunny climate...

As far as I understand Dexcool actually should not be changed often and I would leave it alone for whatever the prescribed mileage is, unless something else in the cooling system requires to open it up.

The reason for that is because Desxcool lacks fast acting inhibitors such as silicates or phosphates that provide a quick forming sacrificial layer on parts to avoid damage from cavitation. Because of that, it takes much, much longer for Dexcool to form the cavitation protective layer and each time the coolant is changed, that layer is stripped and has to be developed again, leaving parts more susceptible to cavitation damage.
I would leave Dexcool alone and just keep an eye on coolant level.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Absolutely hilarious to us, as we run a fleet of GM V8 5.3's and 6.0's in Silverado 1500's and 3500 series vans.

We simply NEVER touch thermostats. As a matter of fact, we run all new vehicles to component failure with original Dex fill! That is generally around 200k miles or even more.

I can't imagine what would explain the issues you are having. maybe it's our sunny climate...

Don't know, all ours are v6/4.3. All of the thermostats fail prior to 100k. Just got it back from shop it was over 100k and our local GM dealer is firm on the year/mileage warranty work, no goodwill.

The thermostat in my Sierra 4.3 failed twice (opening too early and the engine running about 20F too cool). After the second time I gave up on Delco thermostats and put in a Stant. It has been a few years and the Stant is holding up well.

BTW I don't think the protective layer is stripped when you drain the coolant. There is no harm done in draining the Dexcool now except that it is totally unnecessry. I leave Dexcool in for four years and the insides of my trucks cooling system looks pristine.

yup dexcool is good for us it sludges up the cooling system and then we get to rebuild em..
i always say when the factory warrantee is up get it out! im not an old timer but rebuilt engines since i was in high school when my grandfather owned the engine shop... now i own it and i know since 1996 dex cool was causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back