2012 Honda Civic AT - Which Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent quite a while looking on the interweb but have found so much conflicting info on which LG to use. I am running Maxlife ATF in lieu of the Honda DW-1. I am running the same fluid in my 2001 Corolla with the same Maxlife ATF with the LG red and it shifts great. I keep reading LB silver, black, red and so forth for the Honda's...

No shifting issues with the Honda, I just like the added protection of keeping the tranny temps down. I am going to do the drain and fill every year or so. Since I'm running Maxlife ATF, I can't see why I can't use LG red and be done with it.

No reason at all to use anything else than Honda DW-1. And certainly no reason for lube guard.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No reason at all to use anything else than Honda DW-1. And certainly no reason for lube guard.

Thanks but I refuse to use DW-1. Lower tranny fluid temp is a good reason to use LG but thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: sw99

Thanks but I refuse to use DW-1. Lower tranny fluid temp is a good reason to use LG but thanks for posting.

Well its your choice. DW-1 is a low viscosity fluid with special additives for newer Honda transmissions. While Maxlife ATF has shown to work well in other Honda transmissions it doesnt mean it should be your fluid of choice for the life of your Honda. Its more of a "universal" atf, not spec'd for your Honda (even though it says "approved" on the bottle for Z-1 it wasnt approved by Honda themselves). But again, your car your choice. If I didnt use DW-1 I would probably use Valvoline Import ATF, or Castrol Multi Import.

Last edited:
Overkill yes but like I mentioned the lower tranny temps are a huge benefit. Plus LG is like $10 a bottle and I use half a bottle on the drain and fills.

Maybe it's just me but the civic shifts better than ever after adding the maxlife.

Just out of curiosity, why do you refuse to use DW-1? I use it in my 2012 Acura TL. It is supposed to be a much better formulation than the old Z-1.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Just out of curiosity, why do you refuse to use DW-1? I use it in my 2012 Acura TL. It is supposed to be a much better formulation than the old Z-1.

Maxlife is $16 a gallon and im my opinion works just as well. Nothing against it I just feel that ML is every bit as good for less $.

Overkill yes but like I mentioned the lower tranny temps are a huge benefit. Plus LG is like $10 a bottle and I use half a bottle on the drain and fills.

Maybe it's just me but the civic shifts better than ever after adding the maxlife.

What proof do you have that LG lowers transmission temperatures?

I don't know about Hondas..... because I'll use DW-1 in mine, but in my Nissan and K1500, both get ML and 2 bottles each of LG Red.

Wow you have to change it already? Aren't you still under warranty? If so, just wait until the MM tells you to change it, and use DW1. Once the warranty expires, use Maxlife, or Mag 1 synthetic low-vis ATF, according to the MM's suggestions.

And you really shouldn't need any Lubegard on a brand new car!

How many miles does it have?

I have no scientific proof but from what I have seen and read, I really don't feel the need to look into it more.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/HeatChart%28AL-516%29.pdf

BTW, I'm not looking for a LG debate.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Wow you have to change it already? Aren't you still under warranty? If so, just wait until the MM tells you to change it, and use DW1. Once the warranty expires, use Maxlife, or Mag 1 synthetic low-vis ATF, according to the MM's suggestions.

And you really shouldn't need any Lubegard on a brand new car!

How many miles does it have?

Out of warranty, drain and fill was done at 34k.

We also have a 2012 Civic with 48k now. I am doing DW-1 every 30k since I do it myself. I would never consider putting anything other than DW-1 in it. 2007 Civic at work had no problem taking factory fill to 100k.

if you want to lower trans temps add a cooler. magic potions aren't going to do anything to benefit you In this case. also dw1 is a much better fluid than the old z1.

also not trying to be rude but the majority of people are telling you not to use lg because in this situation its a waste of money with zero benefit and to use dw1 because this will benefit you and you just refuse to do that. if you already have your mind made on it why post here about what we would use?
if you insist on using lg use the cheapest one because none of it is going to do anything. lg is a decent product when used for the right reasons. but I doubt it will lower temps very much if at all. your car just needs the proper fluid at the proper interval. if you want peace of mind change it a little earlier than necessary. I change mine every 20,000. I want to keep very clean fluid in it because I don't trust slush boxes and don't want to have to replace it. however there is no proof my change interval is a benefit at all but it makes me feel a little better.

I have no scientific proof but from what I have seen and read, I really don't feel the need to look into it more.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/HeatChart%28AL-516%29.pdf

BTW, I'm not looking for a LG debate.

Your falling for the typical marketing scheme. Like ram_man suggested one of the best ways to reduce temps is a cooler. You have no basic understanding of thermodynamics yet are so easily convinced that this additive fluid will reduce trans temps significantly.

I say screw logic and go for it. Make sure you stash up on LG. Buy as much as you can. Put it in everything you own. If it reduces trans temps it might reduce engine temps too. Start using it in all of your future oil changes as well.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
if you want to lower trans temps add a cooler. magic potions aren't going to do anything to benefit you

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
Your falling for the typical marketing scheme. Like ram_man suggested one of the best ways to reduce temps is a cooler. You have no basic understanding of thermodynamics yet are so easily convinced that this additive fluid will reduce trans temps significantly.

"Temperature at this time ran as high as 246 degrees. My first response was to try a cooler, which lowered the temperature by 26 degrees. I also decided to try a bottle of LUBEGARD to see if their claims really worked. To my surprise it lowered the temperature another 15 degrees. (No, they didn’t pay me to say that.) as submitted in Transmission Digest, Issue date 07, 2000 pg. 60 by AmeraParts International Bill Kleckner."

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/downloads/TestimonialBook.pdf

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: ram_man
if you want to lower trans temps add a cooler. magic potions aren't going to do anything to benefit you

Originally Posted By: Umibozu

"Temperature at this time ran as high as 246 degrees. My first response was to try a cooler, which lowered the temperature by 26 degrees. I also decided to try a bottle of LUBEGARD to see if their claims really worked. To my surprise it lowered the temperature another 15 degrees. (No, they didn’t pay me to say that.) as submitted in Transmission Digest, Issue date 07, 2000 pg. 60 by AmeraParts International Bill Kleckner."

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/downloads/TestimonialBook.pdf

Do you believe everything you read? LOL

If your Honda shifts correctly DO NOT USE ANY OTHER ADDITIVES.

If you insist on using something other than DW-1,
I'd suggest Castrol TRANSMAX Import Multi Vehicle ATF.

Why refuse? So having potential issues in using the wrong fluid and being stuck with repair costs is ok with you? DW1 has served us well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back