High oil consumption VCM engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda also has problems with the CVT attached to I4 engines like the Civic Hybrid (so I bought manual instead). It isn't just a V6 issue.
Originally Posted By: Redpatches
I have had a 2007 Odyessy with the VCM engine(88,000 miles)for over 1 year now and have not had any problems with sludge or oil loss so far

2007 is the original engine (6 or 3 cylinder modes), whereas the problems appear to be with the redesigned engine (6, 3, or 4 cylinder modes). Basically 2008 or later

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: blackman777
I guess the 2005, 06, 07 models had no problems? (shrug)
2008-12 Accord, 2008-13 Odyssey, etc

The older VCM V6 had sludge problems.

Oh okay. Any idea why the class action & warranty was not extended to 2005, 6, 7 Accords and odysseys? BTW sorry you almost got banned for saying AutoRX was ineffective. (From what I found in archives, many people actually were banned.)

Originally Posted By: Trav
I guess the 2005, 06, 07 models had no problems? (shrug)
2008-12 Accord, 2008-13 Odyssey, etc

The older VCM V6 had sludge problems.

Oh okay. Any idea why the class action & warranty was not extended to 2005, 6, 7 Accords and odysseys? BTW sorry you almost got banned for saying AutoRX was ineffective. (From what I found in archives, many people actually were banned.)

05, 06 and 07 Accords did not have VCM ...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Wasn't Trav speaking about this issue a couple of years ago and was crucified for it and essentially called a liar by the "Honda can do no wrong" crowd?

Weird.........
smirk.gif

I recall him mentioning his experiences fixing them and scraping out sludge,which then led to trying multiple additives to try to clean without tearing into the engines.
So there were a couple of rips on the guy. First the Honda thing,then him writing about how auto-RX wasn't effective whereas kreen was.
Yeah. He got pounded on from a few sides.

On top of that the synthetic crowd jumped on him for saying that the sludge oftentimes happened when synthetic was used exclusively.
We should be grateful he's got thick skin and is still willing to share his expertise.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Wasn't Trav speaking about this issue a couple of years ago and was crucified for it and essentially called a liar by the "Honda can do no wrong" crowd?

Weird.........
smirk.gif

I recall him mentioning his experiences fixing them and scraping out sludge,which then led to trying multiple additives to try to clean without tearing into the engines.
So there were a couple of rips on the guy. First the Honda thing,then him writing about how auto-RX wasn't effective whereas kreen was.
Yeah. He got pounded on from a few sides.

On top of that the synthetic crowd jumped on him for saying that the sludge oftentimes happened when synthetic was used exclusively.
We should be grateful he's got thick skin and is still willing to share his expertise.

Agreed
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
No one ever said all Hondas were junk. However, the same people that are defending Honda as a generally good company with a few faults, are the ones completely writing off GM for similar problems on a select few vehicles.

This is a two-way street (and always will be; it's human nature). I'm sure I've read a post on here bad-mouthing every brand available, based on a singular (or a few) anecdotal experience(s).

It happens with cars, it happens with televisions, it happens with computers; it happens with nearly every consumer product on the market. Some people seem worse about this than others, including being on the loyal-to-a-fault side and including being on the bashing-to-a-fault side.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Any idea why the class action & warranty was not extended to 2005, 6, 7 Accords and odysseys?
05, 06 and 07 Accords did not have VCM ...

The hybrids did. (And so my question remains: Why are VCM-equipped 2005-07 HOs and HAs not getting extended warranty?)

I purchased an 07 Odyssey LX (base model) 3.5 V6 with 52K miles. It's a non-VCM engine and when I changed the oil for the first time (put PP 5W20), the engine looked very clean when looking through the fill hole. I've only put 700 miles on it since the oil change so I can't say it's consuming any oil but the engine runs great (very quiet, smooth). In 07, they incorporated the much stouter Pilot/Ridgeline trans in the Odyssey. As long as you keep your ATF changes within 30K miles, you should be trouble free.

I've owned both GM and Honda vehicles over the last 20 years and so far Honda has the edge in terms of reliability and lower maintenance costs. I've owned my 05 CRV since new and the only thing I did to it in 8+ years is replace the swaybar end links because they squeeked!

Originally Posted By: Mauro
In 07, they incorporated the much stouter Pilot/Ridgeline trans in the Odyssey. As long as you keep your ATF changes within 30K miles, you should be trouble free.

And just as important use only Honda ATF DW-1. Don't use Dextron with this transmission.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
my 2012 V6 Accord burns little to no oil in 5,000 mile oil changes. Runs better then any of the 20 or so cars I have owned in my life. GM makes nothing that can compare to Hondas quality. Lots of these engines running around with hundreds of thousands of miles and no problems.

We own a fleet of 3500 Vans and Silverados and have yet to get so much as a hiccup out of the AFM motors.

Note our last van sold had one half a MILLION miles on it, seems comparable to anyone IMO. Maybe not the GM Haters club...

The iron block AFM engines seem to have no issues. The aluminum blocks seem to have the oil consumption issues. Which is too bad, as these motors seem otherwise relatively long lived. My 2009 Silverado work truck uses a quart every 3500 miles or so. It has 44k on it. It did not touch a drop of oil until 30k miles. I get the oil changed at the dealer every 5-6k miles. I still have not figured out why some get iron blocks and some get aluminum. Both have the same HP and torque ratings.

The 4.8 and 6.0 in the GM vans seem to be very durable. I know a lot of delivery guys that have 250k plus on them.

As for the Honda VCM, well time will tell how they hold up. I don't like how they use only one bank during cylinder shut down. You are putting an awful lot of heat on one side of the engine. GM and the Hemi use both banks during shutdown. I think this spreads the heat load of the harder working cylinders over more. Less likely to get hot spots, etc.

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
Originally Posted By: Mauro
In 07, they incorporated the much stouter Pilot/Ridgeline trans in the Odyssey. As long as you keep your ATF changes within 30K miles, you should be trouble free.

And just as important use only Honda ATF DW-1. Don't use Dextron with this transmission.

You can also use Amsoil ATL in the Odyssey Tranny.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
my 2012 V6 Accord burns little to no oil in 5,000 mile oil changes. Runs better then any of the 20 or so cars I have owned in my life. GM makes nothing that can compare to Hondas quality. Lots of these engines running around with hundreds of thousands of miles and no problems.

We own a fleet of 3500 Vans and Silverados and have yet to get so much as a hiccup out of the AFM motors.

Note our last van sold had one half a MILLION miles on it, seems comparable to anyone IMO. Maybe not the GM Haters club...

The iron block AFM engines seem to have no issues. The aluminum blocks seem to have the oil consumption issues. Which is too bad, as these motors seem otherwise relatively long lived. My 2009 Silverado work truck uses a quart every 3500 miles or so. It has 44k on it. It did not touch a drop of oil until 30k miles. I get the oil changed at the dealer every 5-6k miles. I still have not figured out why some get iron blocks and some get aluminum. Both have the same HP and torque ratings.

The 4.8 and 6.0 in the GM vans seem to be very durable. I know a lot of delivery guys that have 250k plus on them.

As for the Honda VCM, well time will tell how they hold up. I don't like how they use only one bank during cylinder shut down. You are putting an awful lot of heat on one side of the engine. GM and the Hemi use both banks during shutdown. I think this spreads the heat load of the harder working cylinders over more. Less likely to get hot spots, etc.

+1. Mine is an 09 aluminum block 5.3. Started consuming between 25-30K. Recently just went through 2 quarts in 2300 miles. Dealer is doing the TSB as we speak. I've seen high consumption moters still humming along at 150k.

As for the Honda 3.5 VCM, there trends to be more varnish and buildup on the rear bank since it's isolated from air circulation underhood coupled with the exhaust manifold merging into one right below it. The rear bank just plain runs hotter. Fairly typical of all traverse mounted V6/8 engines. Some consume, some don't, but regardless if you keep the OCIs under 5k you can minimize the buildup. My local dealer says they see the most problems with 3.5s that have gone strictly by the MaIntenance Minder or longer, as it tends to be a little too liberal with OCIs in this particular application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back