CTS-V engine oil - LSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new '14 cts-v wagon a few weeks ago, and have been thinking of what oil to run. It comes with free oil changes every 6-7k with Dexos syn-blend, but definitely going to run a stouter oil in this car (will collect & use the dexos stuff in my work truck). Going to use Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for the first change at ~1800 miles to get the break in metals out

What have you guys with LSA's been running? I really like the idea of using Redline at 5-6k intervals, but not sure if that'd cause warranty issues. Would it be a good idea to run a slightly higher HTHS oil like RL 5w30 or M1 0w40?

Last edited:
Very nice! how does that 550hp feel? in terms of oil just use dexos approved oils and change according to the OLM.

There is little to suggest the need for anything beyond the standard spec unless you spend time at the road course.

One of my track rat friends has a 10 second CTS-V coupe that runs standard spec oil and hasn't missed a beat at about 75k miles so far.

Until it is tuned or driven much harder than you can on the street there is no proof a so-called "boutique" oil is needed...

A buddy of mine has a V sedan that he tracks about 10 times a year, hits the Dragon for a week every year, and uses as a daily driver in DC traffic. He just cracked 100K a few months ago with no issues and he swears by Amsoil Signature.

Unless you plan on flogging it as hard as he does, I would just stick to the Pennzoil for convenience.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker
Picked up a new '14 cts-v wagon a few weeks ago, and have been thinking of what oil to run. It comes with free oil changes every 6-7k with Dexos syn-blend, but definitely going to run a stouter oil in this car (will collect & use the dexos stuff in my work truck). Going to use Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 for the first change at ~1800 miles to get the break in metals out

What have you guys with LSA's been running? I really like the idea of using Redline at 5-6k intervals, but not sure if that'd cause warranty issues. Would it be a good idea to run a slightly higher HTHS oil like RL 5w30 or M1 0w40?

I ran PU 5w30 in my 2011 SS LS3. My father runs factory Mobil-1 full-synthetic in his ZR1. I say either of those two oils would be fine. I wouldn't go the Redline route unless you planned on heavily tracking the car, and even then I would still choose the PU 5w30. IMO

Yes, IF it is just going to be street driven I would stick to the above synthetic suggestions to keep the warranty intact.

IF it ever gets VERY hot where you are, then I would consider the M1 0W-40, BUT even this might not keep the warranty valid due to the weight.
21.gif

BTW; there are not many on here fortunate enough to have ANYTHING LSA, or LS9 powered.
That is one sweet ride you have there, and it is a 'lottery dream' daily driver car of mine!
thumbsup2.gif
20.gif
cool.gif
34.gif
19.gif

The free oil changes from the dealer should be sufficient, unless the OLM comes on much sooner than normal. Remember, dexos1 is for all non-diesel GM engines in the US, from the LSA/9 down to the Spark. Obviously it'll come on sooner if you drive it hard ("drive it like it was intended haha).

I'd love to see what kind of OCI's it computes being calibrated for a syn blend.

Congrats on your new car, and I hope you get many miles out of it.

Thanks guys! I'm loving the Vagon...well worth having to eat off the dollar menu for the next several years. Always wanted a super fast wagon with a manual trans, and Cadillac hit the nail on the head with this car.

Though just personal preference based on how other vehicles have run on various oils, I'm not a big fan of M1 5w30 (though I really like the thicker >3.5 HTHS M1 flavors) or anything Pennzoil Platinum. Really like Redline, and have frequently used M1 0w40 & German Castrol with excellent results. That being said, just can't jeopardize the warranty on a brand new $70k car. Looks like I'll stick with the Pennzoil Ultra for now, or at least for as long as the dealer is doing my oil changes.

Btw, the oil change meter is at 75% remaining with 1800 miles on the car with spirited driving. Definitely not gonna trust the Dexos syn blend for much more additional mileage, let alone for 6-7k with only a 6qt crankcase.

Here's a pic...just because I can't resist

160337d1384151586-its-finally-here-image.jpg

I have also ran M1 0w40 in my LS3 with great results. I believe both my M1 0w40 and PU 5w30 OCI's were both near or over 10,000. My analysis reports are in my thread create history (I don't post much).

I know the LS3 is NA motor, but it's in the same family and I pushed the car harder than average owner's. IMO

Enjoy your sweet ride!

As others have mentioned resist the urge to run anything heavier than the spec' light 5W-30 grade oil. HTHSV 3.5cP oils are simply too heavy for street use and therefore counter-productive.
I believe your car has both oil pressure and oil temp' gauges.
Take the time to become familiar with the OP characteristics of your engine. If you can maintain 50 psi at elevated rev's even when the oil is as hot as it ever gets, and I'm sure you can, that's confirmation that the oil is more than thick enough.

Do remember, Pennzoil Ultra is NOT dexos licensed. Pennzoil Platinum is dexos licensed. While I am sure the PU would protect fine, but if there was a warranty issue, you could be held up.

Redline oils are not dexos licensed either.

Me personally I would stuck with PP or Mobil 1 EP in the viscosity the manufacturer recommends.

http://centerforqa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=74

Last edited:
I've just picked up a '13 CTS-V Sedan in Black Diamond. Since the dealer had it for almost a year, I had them change the oil even though the OLM did not say it was needed. Was that a mistake?

Additionally, because I'll be driving it in the winter here in Toronto (and surrounding areas) should I decrease my OCI? I was planning on using Mobil1 5W30 with the OLM.

Oh, and I plan to drive it hard.

Thanks.

Last edited:
@emperors6, I think you're supposed to change the oil every year anyway.

About decreasing your OCI, don't worry about that; the OLM can answer that question for you
smile.gif

It may very well give you a shorter OCI during the winter (ambient temp is one of the factors that influence its suggestions)

How many miles will you be putting on every year?

So I talked to a local mechanic I go to for out of warranty work on other vehicles and he recommended to switch to Redline 5W30 even though I will just be doing street use. I am driving it in the winter (usually about -12C but it can dip to -20C) and do like to accelerate hard. His basis was they had some other cars they worked/owned such as other CTS-Vs and ZR1 and the only oil they had no issue with was the Redline. He also recommended an OCI of 3k miles.

To me the recommendations seem a bit excessive. I don't know how much to trust him on this, since he also recommended I switch to Total Quartz 9000 Future 0W20 from the TGMO "synthetic" 0w20. I started a thread about that and the consensus was that the TGMO oil was much better.

Any thoughts? My goal is to keep the car for a while, and would like to get as much life out of the engine and car as a whole as I can.

Thanks guys! I'm loving the Vagon...well worth having to eat off the dollar menu for the next several years. Always wanted a super fast wagon with a manual trans, and Cadillac hit the nail on the head with this car.

Though just personal preference based on how other vehicles have run on various oils, I'm not a big fan of M1 5w30 (though I really like the thicker >3.5 HTHS M1 flavors) or anything Pennzoil Platinum. Really like Redline, and have frequently used M1 0w40 & German Castrol with excellent results. That being said, just can't jeopardize the warranty on a brand new $70k car. Looks like I'll stick with the Pennzoil Ultra for now, or at least for as long as the dealer is doing my oil changes.

Btw, the oil change meter is at 75% remaining with 1800 miles on the car with spirited driving. Definitely not gonna trust the Dexos syn blend for much more additional mileage, let alone for 6-7k with only a 6qt crankcase.

Here's a pic...just because I can't resist

160337d1384151586-its-finally-here-image.jpg

Congratulations on the ride! The pic did not go through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back