Craftsman Professional Screwdrivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a set today still us made by wester forge i believe? Anybody have an opionion or experience with them?

Originally Posted By: jdmstr22
Bought a set today still us made by wester forge i believe? Anybody have an opionion or experience with them?

I have two sets and find them to be very good, and well made.

+1, excellent IMO not as good as the earlier complete black Pro screwdrivers (full black handles and dark steel shafts)

mDaFt72uTm02zSIcJpC8H7w.jpg

The clear handle series has really gone down hill, they used to be very good for the price

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr

The clear handle series has really gone down hill, they used to be very good for the price

I've lost all faith in the regular Craftsman screwdrivers. My last flat bladed screwdriver has a "twisted" end. I never thought that was possible before except with very small bits.

The black handle, black shaft Craftsman screwdrivers are very good. I've had a set for about twenty years now that I bought because the tips on the red, blue and clear handled screwdrivers weren't lasting for long, especially the phillips screwdrivers.

Originally Posted By: cchase

I've lost all faith in the regular Craftsman screwdrivers. My last flat bladed screwdriver has a "twisted" end. I never thought that was possible before except with very small bits.

I don't believe the clear handle screwdrivers are the ones the OP is referring to. He mentioned the professional series, which as mentioned above are red and black handles. Although I have never owned a set, this will be my next set of screwdrivers. They look like they are built to last a lifetime.

I have a set of craftsman pro screwdrivers, I am not real impressed. The handles are almost too fat, the type of rubber they used on the handles is too slick, the magnetic tips are not magnetic enough and the phillips head drivers don't seem to fit the screw heads real well.

I have a screwdriver set from Carlyle (Napa pro brand) and I like them better. Last I checked, they are very similar in price and the Carlyle tools have a similar warranty system to Craftsman. Just return the Carlyle tool to any Napa store for an on the spot warranty exchange, no receipt or anything required. The only advantage the Craftsman pro would have over most of the competition would be that they are made in USA.

If you can swing the cost, Klein Tools screwdrivers with the black tips are better than the Craftsman Professional in my experience. The Craftsman Pro are good screwdrivers though for the money.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: cchase

I don't believe the clear handle screwdrivers are the ones the OP is referring to. He mentioned the professional series, which as mentioned above are red and black handles. Although I have never owned a set, this will be my next set of screwdrivers. They look like they are built to last a lifetime.

Correct, that was just an additional observation. I addressed the pro series at the beginning of my post

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
The black handle, black shaft Craftsman screwdrivers are very good.

Those are the only Craftsman screwdrivers I ever liked.

Originally Posted By: wvrailroader
If you can swing the cost, Klein Tools screwdrivers with the black tips are better than the Craftsman Professional in my experience. The Craftsman Pro are good screwdrivers though for the money.

I have a set of those Kleins, they are a part of their "journeyman" series and are much CHEAPER than the Professional craftsmans and are just as good. I own both and rate them equal but with a slight edge to Klein. I bought my 9 pc set on ebay brand new for under $40.

I agree the standard clear handle Craftsmans are complete junk. The harbor freight Pittsburg brand is 10x better and cost less.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Does anyone have older screwdrivers with wooden handles. I inherited a set from my Dad. They have got to be 50 years old by now.

I've still got some and they're working just fine.

I saw the invoice for the Klein Tools screwdrivers that we ordered at work and they were a good bit more than what I paid for my Craftsman Professionals lol. These were the cushion grip screwdrivers. I never priced them on eBay.

Last edited:
I've owned a few of the Craftsman Pros and the ones I had have been quite good quality. In my use the tips fit well and the drivers were well made. Things like handle shape are purely subjective, so don't put too much faith in someone else bashing the current Pro drivers over that.

Now, will they keep the current Pro drivers USA made or replace them with a Chinese version? That's the real question...

I saw the invoice for the Klein Tools screwdrivers that we ordered at work and they were a good bit more than what I paid for my Craftsman Professionals lol. These were the cushion grip screwdrivers. I never priced them on eBay.

Here are the one's I have. You may have gotten a better set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-JSDS02-7-P...#ht_3692wt_1362

i second this. i have a set of kleins that are about 15 years old and were used on a daily basis for a few years. now theyre only used infrequently, but still fairly often, and theyre in perfect condition. i have a klein flat head screwdriver that i use as a pry bar and chisel that is, literally, in better condition than some home depot, ace hardware, lowes, and stanley screw drivers i use much less often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back