Best DI Ecotec oil: low NOACK and shear-stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
For our 12' Buick Regal with the Direct Injected 2.4l Ecotec. These engines have a habit of shearing oil from all the UOAs I've looked at.

Pennzoil Ultra seems to be the most shear-stable of the Dexos approved oils. However, being a DI engine this engine is vulnerable to intake sludge as there is no fuel cleaning the valves, and PU has a reputation for higher consumption compared to other oils, indicating higher volatility... Thoughts? I know I could go with a non-dexos oil like German Castrol 0w-30 which I use in my Audi.

Unless I missed it PU is not Dexos approved...but does have a low NOACK and is fairly shear stable (depending on application).

According to the PQI america site, of the oils tested PU has by far the lowest NOACK number, but thats only for 5w30 grade. PP has the next best NOACK and i think its a Dexos labelled oil.

Last edited:
Castrol edge with Ti has showed excellent shear stability, high tbn and retention and had the lowest about of deposits in the most recent TEOST comparison. It's what I'll be running in my ecoboost next. It is Dexos and HTO6 specs plus A5/B5 and many more.

I dont understand how Pnzl Syn Blnd 5w30 can be Dexos approved if PU isn't. Doesn't make sense, unless I'm mistaken.

That's just what SOPUS chose to do. That's not to say PU couldn't pass dexos1 certification (and I believe they had at one point). SOPUS just doesn't want to keep it licensed. Perhaps it's dawning on SOPUS that they have a few too many varieties of virtually interchangeable products on the shelf. Three dexos1 products from one of their product lines alone (Pennzoil) would be a little silly.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That's just what SOPUS chose to do. That's not to say PU couldn't pass dexos1 certification (and I believe they had at one point). SOPUS just doesn't want to keep it licensed. Perhaps it's dawning on SOPUS that they have a few too many varieties of virtually interchangeable products on the shelf. Three dexos1 products from one of their product lines alone (Pennzoil) would be a little silly.

Makes sense, seems like all the top brands are variety heavy these days.

I’ve actually taken a different approach using regular mineral oil with LC20. Theoretically this evaporating with the oil or at a higher rate will clean off where the oil might migrate to in vapor form. The people at Lube Control obviously supported this notion.

Not sure where you heard PU was associated with higher oil consumption. I sure haven't seen any such anecdotes, let alone evidence of this. I use PU in my DI engine because of its low volatility and have zero oil consumption.

Ah. Glad to hear that the PU UOA's I had seen with a couple folks indicating higher consumption was statistically insignificant. I'm going to try to the PU in a 5qt jug as walmart here doesn't have the Castrol with TI jugs (if they exist yet) in stock. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: smonska
Ah. Glad to hear that the PU UOA's I had seen with a couple folks indicating higher consumption was statistically insignificant. I'm going to try to the PU in a 5qt jug as walmart here doesn't have the Castrol with TI jugs (if they exist yet) in stock. Thanks!

Well, no conclusions on BITOG are statistically valid so I sure don't want you to think things like this are a subject of rigorous analysis. But it doesn't seem most people have a problem with PU; it is an excellent oil and one about the only non-boutique oil available here not made from crude oil (its base stock are derived from natural gas which allows the low volatility).

Try it and if oil consumption is a problem use a different brand next time. It sure won't harm anything.

I never had any oil consumption with PU in the LGT, and it held up nicely according to my only uoa. I was running the 10w30, which has a even lower volatility and slightly higher hths, though. I've never seen a lower noack listed than for PU 10w30, not saying there isn't a pcmo with a lower noack, but I have not seen one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back