Warning- about Prestone Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I had a power steering leak for a long while and kept topping up with Prestone Honda compatible PS fluid because of how often I was doing it. I fixed the leak over summer but am sure most of the system is Prestone fluid considering how much I topped up. Anyway, it's gotten cold now and anytime the temperature drops below freezing the pump sounds terrible until warmed up. The Prestone must have deteriorated pretty quickly because it made no noise last winter. Stick to OEM Honda PS fluid, it's only $2 more.

Don't you think that's a bad judgment of the fluid based on the facts you've provided? While your statement certainly could be true my gut feeling is that the pump could be tired.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Stick to OEM Honda PS fluid, it's only $2 more.

All Honda repair manuals state this:
"Always use Honda Power Steering Fluid. Using any other type of power steering fluid or automatic transmission fluid can cause increased wear and poor steering in cold weather."

You may be able to restore your pump's previous behavior by replacing the fluid properly. And that does NOT mean simply using a turkey baster to drain the reservoir.

To truly complete this anecdote you should switch back to 100% Honda fluid and see if it makes noise. You could have wrecked your pump with cavitation (sucking air) running it low on fluid or it could just be old.

However, duly noted pitfall. If I had a Honda I cherished I'd think twice.

The PS pump in our 2006 Ody has been replaced twice and this third one sounds like mayhem. 110K miles. All with the Honda fluid. Not a big believer in Honda PS pumps.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The PS pump in our 2006 Ody has been replaced twice and this third one sounds like mayhem. 110K miles. All with the Honda fluid. Not a big believer in Honda PS pumps.

The #1 complaint with the Odyeesy when I was selling Honda's was their transmissions, the PS units were a close second.

I wonder what makes the Honda pumps different from any other.

We've had good service from ours. Our '05 has 101k miles and our '08 has 81k miles. Both are quiet as a mouse, even 20 deg F weather, which is about as cold as it gets down here. I turkey baster the fluid every 15k miles with OEM fluid.

In the old days most PS units used ATF. I take it this is not the case anymore and the vehicles I have listed below need specific PS fluid?

Hello, Modern P/S pumps are quite small. They are no longer driven impeller units.

They are made up of individual veins (acting as the paddles on an old steam ship) which ride in grooves on the radius of a disc in an appropriately configured chamber. Each little "paddle" can be just 3/8" X 1/2".

It's why I stick with the recommended synthetic fluid and have hung a powerful magnet in my reservoir.

For my money, tight tolerances in automotive components ALONE is reason enough to go with synthetics and keep 'em clean.

Welcome to the 21st Century. Kira

I have have decent success with the Bardahl/Honda P/S fluid, I would still suggest using the Genuine Honda P/S Fluid in most situtations.

A friend of mine is about to purchase a 2006 accord with low miles (80,000kms) and it is leaking PS fluid. It sounds like you had a similar leak. Any idea what I should be looking for? Good advice to stick with Honda oem fluid.

Yea, can't go wrong with the Honda Genuine(any fluid) even though there are others(myself included) who have had good success using aftermarket fluids(P/S, ATF) in their Honda vehicles.

Off topic! There are better aftermarket ATF's for Honda's but still, an owner can't go wrong using the Honda Genuine OE Specific ATF

There are some good aftermarket products out there, but there are probably some which say "Honda compatible" on the front which are just AW hydraulic oils or DexIII fluids.

For the newer Honda vehicles the only formulas I have seen out of major additive companies are fully synthetic with a big slug of PAO, very high VI, and a specialized additive system.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
A friend of mine is about to purchase a 2006 accord with low miles (80,000kms) and it is leaking PS fluid. It sounds like you had a similar leak. Any idea what I should be looking for? Good advice to stick with Honda oem fluid.

Rack leaks are common. I have seen a more than a few with boots full of PS fluid.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have have decent success with the Bardahl/Honda P/S fluid, I would still suggest using the Genuine Honda P/S Fluid in most situtations.

used the bardahl stuff too. works fine. recently picked up some honda p/s fluid cheap so will use that up. but i have no qualms about using the bardahl again

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The #1 complaint with the Odyeesy when I was selling Honda's was their transmissions, the PS units were a close second.

Honda has issued numerous TSBs (I count 7) and a number of HSN mentions for PS pump problems with various models, including the '05-'06 Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
In the old days most PS units used ATF. I take it this is not the case anymore and the vehicles I have listed below need specific PS fluid?

German cars often specify some exotic fluid. GM had a specific PSF standard and that's basically what most generic "power steering fluid" is supposed to meet. Quite a few use ATF these days, and I understand most are extremely tolerant of what kind, although most say "Dexron" somewhere. I've got a a Subaru, and they had some sort of amber fluid at the factory even though the replacement is supposed to be ATF. When I went to the dealer they recommended Subaru ATF-HP, and the bottle says it's approved for all Subaru PS units.

Honda is the only maker I know of that has its own specific PSF; GM has a de facto standard that other carmakers pretty much adopted. I remember when I could get Genuine Honda PSF for less than $2 a 12 oz bottle at a dealer. It was less than I saw for some generic equivalent at a parts store.

I've had good success (no issues) with Prestone Honda/Acura PSF and Bardahl H/A PSF before it on an 01 Civic with 195K mi., original pump. Likely continue to use it on a newer 3.0L Accord with next PS service.

As mentioned while the anecdote in notable, it's not conclusive to the fluid used.

Originally Posted By: Kira
It's why I stick with the recommended synthetic fluid and have hung a powerful magnet in my reservoir.

Maybe I'll just drop a magnet straight into the reservoir, as it can't really go anywhere to cause a blockage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back