Last shot stop leak for leaky freeze plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, my buddy has that 99 Chrysler Cirrus with a leaky rear freeze plug. Shop wants too much money to repair car because of having to pull engine and tranny due to freeze plug location. So, we want to try some thing to stop the leak before we junk it. What is the best product to try to seal a freeze plug leak?

Remember it's going to the junkyard if it can't be fixed so anything is fair game. Right now it's already got pure water in the system because he has to put 1 gallon of water in there just to drive it a mile or two. It might be too fast of a leak, but like I said it's a last shot to keep it.

Thoughts? Probably multiple treatments for anything.

I would think that if it takes a gallon of water to go a couple miles, that it is way to large of a hole for any type of stop leak to help. Does leaving the radiator cap (no pressure) help at all?

It's going to leave him stranded. If it's leaking that bad nothing will help .

Cut your losses and call it a day , in other words stick a fork in it......it's done .

He only lives 2 miles from work. If we can get it there and back a little longer, we're going to try it.

I don't think the freeze plugs are accessible without dropping something. It's a very tight engine bay.

We're going to try the liquid copper tonight.

Well we tried the liquid copper, it didn't work. The leak is much too large to even give the product a chance to work. It all leaked out on the ground, and i tried pouring it back into the hole as i collected it in a pan and it came out even faster. Looks like its going to the scrap yard or selling for parts.

I was going to say that 2 miles from work in Kentucky? I'd walk or ride a bike if money were that tight... Heck I'd probably do it anyway.

It's 2.44 miles, and they would rather use the broken car as an excuse to not come to work.

A co-worker has a Toyota Echo he is going to sell them cheap.

I don't think anythings gonna work unless its really thick to start because it ran out of the system as soon as i poured it in even while the engine was off. I think it got worse recently.

As a last resort, I used K-Seal on my Blazer 350 and it stopped the leak within 1 minute. Mine was dumping a lot of coolant and I was pretty much amazed at the results. Found info on it online and picked up the tine bottle at my local O'Reilies for something like $12. I have driven this engine hard just trying to make it fail, so far so good.

Try three egg whites in the radiator. Put them in with the engine stone cold and the thermostat removed. Leave the cap loose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back