Hyundai elantra ATF???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some supertech ATF+4 tonight for moms ride. Will this stuff be alright? I know its been slightly disscused here before, but as im understanding you can use dex/merc or pretty much anything? Thanks in advance
12.gif

The recommended spec ATF is Diamond/Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia SP-III or SP-IV after ~2012. Not sure if what you have meets the spec or not.

Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc is different than the old Dexron/Mercon stuff. I believe the new Maxlife is a low viscosity highly friction modified formulation that is back spec'ed to work in Dexron apps, similar to how Dex 6 is back spec'ed to work in Dex 3 apps. So, I stand by not using regular Dexron/Mercon ATF.

ATF +4 works well, Eneos Type SP works, and I suppose the Maxlife

No. Supertech Multivehicle ATF would be ok.
I just picked up 12 quarts of Gulf Universal ATF through my oil distributor for $40.08, that is $3.34/qt, semi-synthetic. It meets SP-III requirements, as well as many others.

ATF+4 is good stuff but I'd much prefer the performance of MaxLife and it's usually much cheaper. Supertech is Walmart, right? See if you can go back and exchange for MaxLife Dex/Merc.

But yeah, ATF+4 is fine.

SP-III seems to be a requirement that is easily met.
Just about any "multi-vehicle" ATF meets it.

From what I have read Hyundai wants people to have a drain and fill every 18,000 miles, or something close to it if I did the KM to Miles conversion correctly.
I've done some work on a friends Hyundai, and it got me curious as the ATF pan has a drain plug from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
I picked up some supertech ATF+4 tonight for moms ride. Will this stuff be alright? I know its been slightly disscused here before, but as im understanding you can use dex/merc or pretty much anything? Thanks in advance
12.gif

What in the world are you talking about!? Since you're saying "pretty much anything" can be used, why not put in Ford Type F fluid? There's a reason engineers specify a certain fluid for a car. Being a former Elantra owner, these cars are known to have fragile transmissions to begin with, and dumping in random fluid is a guaranteed way to kill the tranny. This is why I am so wary of buying a used car. Who knows what incorrect "maintenance" previous owners did on it.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
why not put in Ford Type F fluid?

Umm .... because Type-F is the ONLY ATF you can readily buy that has NO friction modifiers in it!?

As SuperDave456 said:
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
SP-III seems to be a requirement that is easily met.
Just about any "multi-vehicle" ATF meets it.

Didn't some Chryslers use Mitsubishi and Hyundai transmissions? And they called for ATF+3/4

ATF+4 will probably work OK, if you can't return it. But if you can, exchange it for multi-vehicle ATF (I think it's the same price as the ATF+4, and ST's multi does meet SP-III)

But next time, get an "import" or "multi-vehicle" ATF. Most of them meet SP-III (including ST), and Maxife is a great choice. I also like Mag 1 synthetic ATF; it's sold at Pep Boys and Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
12.gif

It will have to be SP-III/Hyundai compliant. It will clearly say if it is or isn't.

My 2004 ran well with MaxLife.

If your moms car still has the factory warranty, put SP-III in it. ATF+4 works great on our Elantra. My wifes '07 Elantra has had ATF+4 in it since 50K miles, and its nearing 140K miles now on the same fill. I'll do another fluid exchange at 150K miles, just as routine, because the fluid isn't worn out and the transmission still shifts great. I have nothing bad to say about ATF+4, it works great in our Chrysler too. ATF+4 is one of the best quality ATFs for sale - period.

Originally Posted By: keith
ATF+4 is one of the best quality ATFs for sale - period.

It is for sure, but it's also one of the most dated specs still being used (1998). There are plenty of better performing fluids available.

Originally Posted By: martinq
It is for sure, but it's also one of the most dated specs still being used (1998). There are plenty of better performing fluids available.

The fluid goes 100K miles with ease, and I've had zero transmission problems, even with the older Chrysler 41TE. There comes a point where "better", even if true, has no real world benefit. I know, this is BITOG, that's blasphemy against the OilGods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: keith
The fluid goes 100K miles with ease, and I've had zero transmission problems, even with the older Chrysler 41TE.

Like I said, it's a quality fluid. But, I've had real-world benefits by changing out ATF+4 for Maxlife.

Also, most of the issues we see more recently are not due to the life of the fluid, but to contamination.

Redline has direct replacement fluid for Mitsubishi/Diamond +4 and its there C+.

I'm running it in my Sebring with the worlds worst trans and the trans shifts perfectly.

C+ is 100% synthetic and does not suffer from evaporation issues like +4. Please try it you'll be amazed.

Get it at Jeg's as they offer free shipping and take Paypal.

I put the maxlife in my 2010 kia and my moms 2010 Hyundai. Both seem to shift just fine and both called for spiii. I would shy away from the atf+4. It's too easy to get something that is specd for the car instead of guessing. I'm sure it wouldn't grenade the tranny, but why lay awake at night? Just my .02

Btw u will be pretty surprised at how quickly the kia/Hyundai fluid turns nasty and brown. Also anyone else noticed that the ML stinks to high heaven? Just a weird smell that is pretty strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back