Volvo coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to top off the Volvos coolant today, and there is a placard on the expansion bottle saying Volvo Coolant only. The owners manual says the same thing. To me it looks like an OAT type, but where can I buy this stuff besides the dealer, and what is special about it.

Nothing at all special about the coolant. Just pick up some from Autozone or wherever you go. Has worked great for my 85 240 and my 2002 S40. Yes, the manuals called for Volvo branded coolant but that is because they want you to pay them for the same spec coolant.

Now replacement parts I would rather get from a dealer or FCP Groton. Not AZ or such.

Hello, I believe the replacement for Volvo coolant is G-05. I've read here that the two are nearly identical. I do not know the chemistry involved.

I've only seen Volvo coolant for sale at a Volvo dealer (or a parts website). It's always ~$30 for a gallon of concentrate. The Beck & Arnley equivalent is available through Amazon. Kira

You think $30 a gallon is expensive, my Fiat requires OAT, which I couldn't find any cheaper than $80 a gallon. It was cheaper driving an hour to the dealer for a free top off, but why it needed a top off perplexed me, even they couldn't find a leak.
Back on topic, could you get g05 coolant in the stores, I stay away from mail ordering fluids, and I'm too lazy to stop at a store just to check
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 79sunrunner
You think $30 a gallon is expensive, my Fiat requires OAT, which I couldn't find any cheaper than $80 a gallon. It was cheaper driving an hour to the dealer for a free top off, but why it needed a top off perplexed me, even they couldn't find a leak.
Back on topic, could you get g05 coolant in the stores, I stay away from mail ordering fluids, and I'm too lazy to stop at a store just to check
smile.gif

Autozone has Zerex brand G-05 coolant. I thin Napa has it as well.

Back in february this subject came up before, and can be found Here . I currently use the Amsoil AF and coolant boost, I have good results with both Volvo and Hyundai. It costs about $28 a gallon as a preferred customer.

Originally Posted By: mormit
Nothing at all special about the coolant. Just pick up some from Autozone or wherever you go. Has worked great for my 85 240 and my 2002 S40. Yes, the manuals called for Volvo branded coolant but that is because they want you to pay them for the same spec coolant.

It's great that it's worked for you, but please don't' just make up random stuff and post it as fact. It's not a generic coolant you can get at Autozone, unless they've started importing G-48 from Europe...

G-05 is the most similar (and many have used it without problems), but it definitely is a specific coolant. It's $20-25.00 at the dealer, for a gallon of concentrate. Why is it so hard just to use the correct coolant?

The O.E.M. coolant for Volvo is PENTOFROST NF (with silicates) my dealer stated that the volvo AF is repackaged pentosin, most aftermarket AF is fine just avoid Dexcool. My original AF was blue/green (09 C30), pentosin is the supplier for volvo AF and PSF as well as fluids for other euro cars. If you go with another coolant type make sure to thoroughly flush the system even if the manufacture states "compatible with all fluids" and use distilled water you will be fine. That's what my dealer told me last year. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back