Wesfil Cooper cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are lower cost filters on the Aussie market. Owned by GUD (Ryco) but operate independantly as far as I know.

The UFI filter is listed for my Fiat and is the only filter I can find available locally. It costs $22 and I believe the quality to be good. Buying something online will cost about the same after freight. I have been trying to match up an easy to get, cheaper alternative and the Z418 is about as close as I can get. It does not have the anti siphon valve or sandpipe built in and it also has a lower by-pass pressure, 1 bar instead of 1.6 bar. But it fits and I got it for $3.99 on special. Im thinking about buying a few if they are decent.

Unfortunately I only had a pair of side cutters to open it up so it's a bit of a mess. This is what it looks like.

IMG_20131115_132917.jpg

IMG_20131115_133928.jpg

IMG_20131115_134024.jpg

IMG_20131115_134016.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for making the sacrifice. Internals look OK FWIW. It looks like there are Asian characters of some sort on the ADBV but I can't make them out - do you know where these are made?

GUD use to manufacturer in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa but I believe all GUD filters are now made in China, this one is.

FYI, the UFI is made in Indonesia.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Thanks for making the sacrifice. Internals look OK FWIW. It looks like there are Asian characters of some sort on the ADBV but I can't make them out - do you know where these are made?

If it weren't for the 'Asian characters' would you feel this filter looks better than ok?

Wow, they look very similar. They even have the same lugs on the end cap. I have a used WZ9 to open up when I get a chance.

What I find most interesting is the blue ADBV (is it silicon or nitrile?). Otherwise, it looks decent and conventional. The visuals, however, are the easy part. What are the materials.. media, potting and ADBV. What's the bypass valve like (if so equipped). You can make something look pretty but if the materials are substandard...

Looks to be a well made filter. As for adbv color, on a standard adbv(not Wix combo valve) similar to Mitsubishi oem, any color other than black is a silicone adbv. Interesting how, similar to AAP DriveWorks also made in China, it also uses a coil spring retainer.

I am curious, I'm aware of filters with a standpipe, but what is an "anti siphon valve"? Just guessing but since it's mentioned with standpipe, is it a second mechanical adbv located in the center tube?

Any efficiency specs?

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I am curious, I'm aware of filters with a standpipe, but what is an "anti siphon valve"? Just guessing but since it's mentioned with standpipe, is it a second mechanical adbv located in the center tube?

Any efficiency specs?

Thanks for the pics.

Yep, it's just an adbv on the outlet. It looks like a bypass valve. Called an anti siphon valve as the turbo circuit can apparently siphon off oil out of the filter. I do not think my engine really needs it as the filter is mounted too low but that is what Fiat spec and UFI supplies the same spec. The filter I have on it at the moment is the same except for this valve and sandpipe and I do not have any problems. I'm leaning towards using a filter without the valve as I see it as unnecessary, possibly restrictive and if it were to fail, it would end up in the engine. Are these valid concerns or nothing to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back