New Tires/Alignment -- Steering Off-Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Traction
Too many places just "set the toe and collect the dough"
And most places like that can't even get that right.

That's really true. It does take considerable effort and a long-time to do thing correctly. Many shops just do the bare minimum and hope you don't complain. It's sad really.

The average "Joe" isn't aware of how many factors are involved for getting the job "Right".

Originally Posted By: Traction
Too many places just "set the toe and collect the dough"
And most places like that can't even get that right.

Exactly! This is why going forward I will only do an alignment if and only if I see tire wear, drifting, change parts that have an impact on the alignment, or steering issues indicate an alignment is needed. Replacing tires is no longer a reason for me to do an alignment, unless they had an abnormal wear pattern.

I got a hold of the shop and they told me the alignment wasn't quite right, and that it should be "all set" now. We'll see...
15.gif

You want the ending specs. You're the customer, the customer is always right, and tell them that you want the settings in the middle of the spec, not just anywhere within the spec range. As an example, an adjustment at one end of the spec range for the left, the other end of the range for the right, both are within spec, and you have a terrible job.

There are a few cases where not-middle is good. I often like the caster (if adjustable) set at the max of the spec. Still within range, but where I want it. The other settings should be in the middle of the range unless you have a good reason otherwise.

Didn't any good reason to set the caster different on one side to allow for the crown of the road go away when bias ply tires went away?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I got a hold of the shop and they told me the alignment wasn't quite right, and that it should be "all set" now. We'll see...
15.gif

Can you name the GR alignment shop, so I can avoid it? Last time I needed an alignment, I went to Belle Tire on 28th, and I had to insist on seeing the before/after specs. They had just barely corrected the alignment within specs. Weren't to happy about me seeing the "quality" of their work.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Didn't any good reason to set the caster different on one side to allow for the crown of the road go away when bias ply tires went away?

Most 1990s and early 2000s Ford & GM SUVs and pickups call for [and need] about half a degree of negative cross caster. The roads here are flat and don't have any crown, so at one time I thought it would be okay to match caster on both sides, but the vehicles that call for cross caster will pull to the right if caster angles are matched, even on flat surfaces.

Newer SUVs and pickups usually don't need negative cross caster. I suspect it is because they have much larger control arms, which flex less. These newer vehicles don't need to be toed in as much either, which helps with gas mileage.

Edit: I just looked in my manual, seems Ford & GM quit calling for cross caster around 2004, but more recently started calling for it again. Maybe they thought they no longer needed it and were proved otherwise?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
15.gif

Can you name the GR alignment shop, so I can avoid it? Last time I needed an alignment, I went to Belle Tire on 28th, and I had to insist on seeing the before/after specs. They had just barely corrected the alignment within specs. Weren't to happy about me seeing the "quality" of their work.

Quality Express Auto on Plainfield.

I got the car back yesterday and they again did not provide me with a printout. I had to work late, so someone else picked up the car for me and I didn't get a chance to tell them to get the form as I was planning on talking to them personally.

I drove the car for a while last night and I am not sure whether or not it is correct. I was able to get it to go more straight on the highway this time, but it still seems to me like there is a slight tendency to go left unless I really work hard to get the car to go in a straight line before letting off the wheel. If I turn the wheel to the left and let go, it'll continue going to the left until I correct it. If I turn it to the right, same thing. I have to really struggle to get it to be perfectly straight then let go. I don't know if that is normal or not... I would've thought the car would try to pull straight again if you let go after turning, but maybe not? My girlfriend is borrowing my car today, so I'll test it more after I get it back and update this thread.

If it was me, I'd just eat the cost and go elsewhere for the alignment.

I've had good luck with the Honda dealer for alignments after not having luck at a tire shop. This was on my 99 Accord. Make sure gas tank is half full for optimal alignment.
thumbsup2.gif

I drove the car more today and it still seems off-center to me. I could be wrong, but I think it's in alignment as I can get it to go straight if I turn the wheel slightly to the right and let go. I've decided that I'll either live with it the way it is, or take it somewhere else. I've had pretty rotten luck with shops messing up after repeated visits this year. I'm about at my wits end with mechanics in this area.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The alignment was done wrong. You probably got a Mexican ..... trained monkey.

OT: That's a racist comment.
EDIT: tried to report it, but could not, as it was already reported - well done, whoever did that!

ON Topic: Best is to look at the before/after sheet if you have one, and post a pic of it here; I am sure people can tell more by looking at it.
And it does pay to do a bit of research on the shop beforehand to see if it has a good rep.

You took that WAY out of context.
Doesn't make it right, But I have some Latino background, So I'll input.
The phrase "Grease Monkey", Not Racist.
The more intellectual among us see many repetitive/corporate job's as done by a "Monkey"
Trained a procedure, Do it repetitively, Don't use your brain.
Again, Not Racist.

To the OP: Try to resolve thing's as most other people have said, See a print out, Talk/Tip the tech who's doing the Align, Show some knowledge, It often fixes stupidity/laziness.
If it doesn't work out, Did you pay with a Card?
confused.gif

Saw your post, Chargeback/Ask for a refund, Go somewhere else.
Check Hunter's website, Find someone local who's got a better machine, Possibly a GSP9700 Road force balance might find a shifted belt in a tire.
Also, you could move the LF to the RF to see if the problem moves, Then you will have evidence.

hunter

Tirerack locator

As is also true in our field.

Note that you can have the finest equipment made and a poorly motivated or trained idjit can still mess things up.

I have done excellent alignments on race cars with string and a tape measure!

Note that "idjit" is non-racial specific...

Originally Posted By: supton

Unfortunately I'm in that camp too. I'd like to add make sure you do your homework and check out the shop and tech that does the alignment, or you could very well end up leaving with a different problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: supton

Unfortunately I'm in that camp too. I'd like to add make sure you do your homework and check out the shop and tech that does the alignment, or you could very well end up leaving with a different problem.

Love those kind of shops! Fix one thing and break 2 or 3...

I got fed up with the off-center steering and took supton and satinsilver's advice and brought it in to a nearby Honda dealership and had them check the alignment. After showing me the printout, they performed the 4 wheel alignment. Keep in mind that the "before" specs were AFTER the other mechanics had two tries to get it right. It now drives nice and straight, and the wheel appears to be straight again as well. I thought I'd post the before/after for your entertainment:

yz1h.jpg

The lesson to be learned here: dealerships may cost more, but it seems worth it to have it done right.

For some reason, just about every alignment that I have received from Firestone has resulted in the steering wheel being off center.

The dealer has never had this issue for me.

Seriously, how hard is it to sit in the driver seat, center the steering wheel, tell WinAlign, and adjust the toe?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For some reason, just about every alignment that I have received from Firestone has resulted in the steering wheel being off center.

The dealer has never had this issue for me.

Seriously, how hard is it to sit in the driver seat, center the steering wheel, tell WinAlign, and adjust the toe?

Stories like that (on top of my experiences) just help me solidify my decision that I'll only be using the dealership(s) for alignments from now on.

At all of my Firestone alignments, I'd see the guy reach in thru the window, make sure that the steering wheel seemed straight, and then proceeded.

That was probably the cause of my issues -- he never actually sat in the car to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back