2011 Jeep Wrangler Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

This is my first venture over to the BITOG forums, and to be honest, it's quite overwhelming. I'm looking for a little advice on the best oil to use in my Jeep. More info below.

I have a 2011 Wrangler with the 3.8L engine. 30,140 miles, bought it Certified Pre-Owned last month. Judging by my current oil level, it burns about 1/4 QT every 1k miles.

I have a 5 mile commute that I make twice a day, cold starts both to work, and after the Jeep has been sitting all day, to head home. Other than that, I make a 300 mile round trip road trip about once every two months, with various other errands thrown in, no major trips over 15 miles one way. I drive just under 1000 miles a month.

I know the 3.8 is a harsh engine in general, but it seems to idle somewhat rough. Jeep recommends 5W-20 API certified oil, and I have usually sworn my Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, but that was because I ride sport bikes and used to have a VW that required full syn.

What oil should I look towards here? I'm in Des Moines, Iowa, so the winters get to below 0 regularly, and I'd like to keep the Jeep for a long time so I want to minimize wear and keep the engine as clean as possible.

I will run Techron through the Jeep every 5k miles, and always use Top Tier gas.

I'm thinking Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, but is there a better option for my situation? The Jeep's factory fill, and current fill are both conventional, so should I stick with conventional from now on?

I drive pretty easy on the jeep, shifting at 2k RPM and only really get into it once the engine is fully warmed up and I'm on an on-ramp, which is basically once a week. My commute is city driving, but I wouldn't call it stop and go.

What intervals should I look toward for changes, and what filter should I go with when I change the oil? Jeep recommends 8k intervals.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Hey there and welcome to the land of many different thoughts on oil. If you are happy with your Mobil 1 from other applications, I would continue to use it because it is a very proven oil. Personally I would change it twice a year such as April and Oct. That way you have new oil for winter and summer.

Oil filters for that interval could be any decent filter such as Wix, Purolator Pure one, Mopar, etc.

It sounds like you care for your vechicles and drive them appropriately.

Many other folks like Pennzoil Ultra and Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability and varieties of others.

Have fun reading all the opinions and used oil analysis section stuff.

Again, Welcome
banana2.gif

It doesn't just require an "API certified" 5W-20, it requires one that is approved under the Chrysler MS-6395 spec. Unfortunately, Mobil 1 is not approved. I would use something else while under warranty. I've been using QSUD in ours, next oil change will be PU, and then probably PP after that.

3.8's aren't picky with oil (many run without any, somehow). Just about any good quality oil will do - dino or syn - and you can expect at least 200k from it if you do your maintenance. Somewhere around 80-100k you'll put in a lower intake gasket and a water pump, but that's about it.

Mopar specs a 4105409AC (X-reference to puro L10241) filter for that motor - a 4781452BB (puro L20195) will offer more capacity and easier changing as long as you don't ram any large trees between the motor and radiator (the '452' sticks out the front of the motor a bit).

5W20 is spec from the factory and works fine. Keep using it as long as you're under warranty. If the oil consumption bothers you, switch to a good 5W30. For those with consumption concerns this is one of the first remedies we suggest before replacing anything major. The replacement 3.8s we put in all spec 10W30 anyway and are mechanically identical.

Intervals - the Jeep has an OLM that will tell you when to change the oil. It can go off anywhere from 3k-8k. (Personal opinion warning) You're likely fine following it - just make sure you keep the pan full! If in doubt and you run dino, change at 5k and have an analysis done. Your Jeep holds an extra quart compared to other applications of the 3.8, so you have a little extra buffer there too.

TLDR - motor isn't picky at all. Run what you please. Happy Jeep-ing!

I am a thin oil guy, but I would recommend a 5 or 10w30 in that engine. They back spec'd it to 5w-20, but never made any updates to run thin oil ... and it's definitely not built tight enough to run a 20 grade oil.

I would also recommend holding the use of techtron - if you are going to use top tier gasoline, you needn't have any worry of using additional gas detergents.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've run 3 consecutive tanks of Techron through it, just on the assumption that it had low quality gas used in it by the PO.

I like using the Techron just for piece of mind, but I agree, I probably don't need it.

As to the oil, I think I'm going to go with a 5W-30, either Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum. Which of those two is the better option, and what is the difference between them? What about QSUD, what are the benefits of that?

Is there a good oil that people use for cleaning? I bought used like I said, and I worry how the PO treated it maintenance wise, I'd like to know i'm doing some good removing sludge or buildup with the oil I choose.

I'll follow the oil life monitor, but I think i won't go any farther than 5k between changes.

Shimps1

On the JK forums, there are lots of recommendations to change out the $10 PCV valve on oil burning 3.8s as a first attack. Seems they can stick open.

I have an 08 JK, I've used M1 5w-20 since the first change. No oil loss issues, knock on wood. Not concerned in the least about MS6395. The oil has to "meet or exceed" the spec and if M1 meets SN and GF5 I'm pretty sure it's ok...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I am a thin oil guy, but I would recommend a 5 or 10w30 in that engine. They back spec'd it to 5w-20, but never made any updates to run thin oil ... and it's definitely not built tight enough to run a 20 grade oil.

Of course it is. What "upgrades" are you talking about? The F-head in my '59 is "tight" enough for a 20wt. Heck, Gary ran a 0W10 in his 2.5L.

Sheesh.

Originally Posted By: shimps1

As to the oil, I think I'm going to go with a 5W-30, either Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum. Which of those two is the better option, and what is the difference between them? What about QSUD, what are the benefits of that?

PU is definitely the best of those options, many people here would argue it's even better than M1. The only problem with PU is availability. It used to be readily available at Walmart, but not so much anymore. PP and QSUD are very similar. VOAs have shown them to be so similar that there's been speculation that they are in fact the same oil in different bottles.

Originally Posted By: Jiblet
Shimps1

On the JK forums, there are lots of recommendations to change out the $10 PCV valve on oil burning 3.8s as a first attack. Seems they can stick open.

I have an 08 JK, I've used M1 5w-20 since the first change. No oil loss issues, knock on wood. Not concerned in the least about MS6395. The oil has to "meet or exceed" the spec and if M1 meets SN and GF5 I'm pretty sure it's ok...

Thanks, I'll see about that when it's at the dealer. I get a couple oil changes from them free so I'll just bring my oil in to the and have them do it for me. I'm thinking 1/4 QT every 1k miles is well within spec, I doubt I'd be able to convince them to change that valve under warranty, correct?

Why are you guys saying PU is so hard to find? Amazon has it in 6 packs with free shipping for under $9/qt.

Amazon Listing

Last edited:
Since a lot of folks around here have a decent stash built up, $9 /qt seems like a high price to pay for oil. PU is great stuff, but at $9 a quart, I'd opt for PP 5w-30 at half the cost.

Can't hurt to ask your dealer if they will check/replace pcv valve. Subaru will replace wipers and headlight bulbs under warranty. Since pcv is emissions related they may even have to service it past your standard warranty....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back