The Challenge of Slush Ridges Between Lanes

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of you in snow areas know how slush forms a deep ridge between lanes after a significant snow fall. If you are on a higher speed highway, doing around 35-40 mph, do you dare change lanes? My personal limit for doing a lane change over deep slush is 15mph.
lol.gif
I haven't tested the upper limit, so for now I play it very safe.

It depends on how deep the slush is and what the other road surface looks like. I've done it at 40 before and been fine. It gives a definite tug to one side, but as long as I've got enough grip on 2 tires to not worry about the tail getting kicked out, I'll do it.

No problem. Make sure as you cross the slush your motion is smooth and slow,don't jerk the wheel. Maintain speed,don't let off the gas then realize you need more power and smash the gas.
Keep the transition smooth and there should be no problem. I've always driven a rwd vehicle and I've never had a single "uh oh" moment when crossing lanes.

grab steering wheel with 2 hands be firm check for cars anywhere near you. decisively change lanes without sudden steering input.

as long as all 4 tires arent on slush at the same time its pretty safe even upto 55mph or so.--with good snow tires.

I have seen plenty of idiots do the whole let off gas.. slow down really fast mash gas spin out type of tango though.

Last year I saw someone take it to the concrete center barrier about 65 from doing that.

He bounced off and ended up facing me, managed to drive it to the berm. I checked up on him but he was fine car was actually.... Drivable.

luckily for him when he lost traction he didnt regain it so it was more bumper cars vs driving straight into it.

Last edited:
ROFL, I just go right through that stuff.

With some speed and a smooth motion, you shouldn't need to slow down. If anything, you want to keep your speed up so you have sufficient momentum to push through it.

Maybe I've been spoiled over the years because I've run snow tires on all my vehicles and two had AWD?
confused2.gif

Just cross it without excessive steering inputs or speed changes.
You'll feel the need to give some steering correction.
Jsut let the car drift through the slush and you'll be fine.

Upto 45~50 mph. Done it this past winter on my GY ACT, surprisingly excellent in snow/ice/slush. Main idea is to keep a steady foot on the throttle ( helps when your driving fwd, keeps the weight on the two front wheels ) and no sudden movements, minor corrections are amplified in snow/ice.

+2 keep your foot on the gas lightly. I personally wouldn't do it if there were 18 wheelers or busses on my 6 o'clock, in any lane.

If you get snow tires, go narrower if you can, this helps the tires cut through slush and snow.
I always ran 155/80r13 snows on my Neon and it was great in snow and slush on the highway. I only went down to a 185 width on the Focus but probably should've got 175's for snow tires.

People are throwing out different speeds but are probably visualizing differing conditions. It really depends on how many inches of slush we're talking here.

It's kind of a white-knuckle evolution isn't it? I find that confidence is important. Whatever the speed, you need to make the lane change briskly and firmly. Power through the crud and get back on firm ground before anything bad can happen. Good tires are key as well. Hakka R's, with their concentration on slushplaning are the best I know of at this. Haven't tried the R2's in those conditions yet.

^ Yeah if you give it a good move there's a chance your rear wheel will follow your front one through the same rut.

If you slowly crab over or wiggle the wheel your rear wheel will also encounter unsmooshed slush, or the rooster tail from your front wheel.

If you don't have the nerves and equipment for this, you shouldn't be passing.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
It depends on how deep the slush is and what the other road surface looks like.

+1

It also depends on how good your tires are and how congested the traffic is around you.

Good for you to go slow. Lots of idiots with too much self confidence, often provided by their equipment, which ends them in a ditch or worse.

THe physics change, they are much more difficult to anticipate and control, and there are a lot more things to go wrong. Doenst mean you cant do it, its just one of those things where it really is best to shed 5 MPH and go slower then to take your chances when you dont need to. Still, technique is good to know regardless.

You shouldn't ask 'how fast' you can do it. You do it at whatever speed you feel comfortable with. If that is 15 mph, then so be it. I would rather be on the road with you driving cautiously than with some a$$ who thinks his new snow tires make him unstoppable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
It depends on how deep the slush is and what the other road surface looks like.

+1

It also depends on how good your tires are and how congested the traffic is around you.

+1 Lots of variables Tires, AWD/4WD, ground clearance.

I've always let my speed drop, then move through it slowly. Vehicle will pull and need adjustment as you go.

It's an acquired skill.

I have to say, these days I'd rather work late and drive home after the mad rush--or leave really early, as many leave just a bit more early than usual, and rush hour opens up to this massive long debacle.

In their online Winter Driving Academy Course, Michelin takes a pessimistic view.
Their advice in the ice/slush video, about how to deal with the ridges of slush that develop between lanes is to avoid crossing them, because loss of vehicle control at the rear tires is likely.

http://www.michelinwintercenter.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back