Is anybody running 5w20 in a Toyota 1ZZFE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old thread, but I recently wondered about 5W-30 vs 5W-20 for my 03 Corolla, since the engine is "backspec'd." Here's what Toyota said when I asked them:

Quote:
Toyota recommends the use of 5W-30 (conventional) oil for installation in your 2003 Corolla. If your local Toyota dealership does not have the required viscosity....

Toyota has transitioned its new vehicles away from using conventional motor oil to using 0W-20 weight synthetic oil. This change is largely the result of higher fuel economy requirements and tightening emissions certification requirements. This does not apply to your 2003 Corolla.

Toyota recommends you use 5W-30 (not 5W-20), as your vehicle is not equally compatible for this oil.

When I asked about whether I should change the oil weight if I switched to synthetic, they said:

Quote:
You can go by the text in the Owner's Manual, which shows the correct grade to use; we do not require that you use a particular brand.

The engine was designed for the recommended oil specifications. Also, your engine will be able to achieve its designed level of efficiency when the correct oil is used.

You can use synthetic oil, but Toyota does not recommend a longer oil change interval using synthetic oil in your vehicle.

If you do use synthetic, Toyota recommends that you follow the same service intervals that Toyota recommends for regular oil use.

It sounds like 5w30 is the way to go, whether synthetic or conventional. Of course, Bob's oil course indicates it can't hurt to go to 0w30 for lower starting viscosity. So I might do that with Synthetic.

I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris with the 1NZFE (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong). When I first got it used, ran MaxLife Full Syn 5w30, then Maxlife SB 5w30, and those both felt really smooth. I then decided to try some 5w20's (Napa, PU,PP), and noticed nothing but a slight fuel economy gain of about .5mpg, but thats not enough to say it was just the oil. From my butt they both seem perfectly fine, but I suppose a UOA could show the differences, if any.

Originally Posted By: DannyBoyG
I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris with the 1NZFE (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong). When I first got it used, ran MaxLife Full Syn 5w30, then Maxlife SB 5w30, and those both felt really smooth. I then decided to try some 5w20's (Napa, PU,PP), and noticed nothing but a slight fuel economy gain of about .5mpg, but thats not enough to say it was just the oil. From my butt they both seem perfectly fine, but I suppose a UOA could show the differences, if any.
Yes you have the 1nzfe.

No reason to switch from what's specced.

Originally Posted By: Daboa
Old thread, but I recently wondered about 5W-30 vs 5W-20 for my 03 Corolla, since the engine is "backspec'd." Here's what Toyota said when I asked them:

Quote:
Toyota recommends the use of 5W-30 (conventional) oil for installation in your 2003 Corolla. If your local Toyota dealership does not have the required viscosity....

Toyota has transitioned its new vehicles away from using conventional motor oil to using 0W-20 weight synthetic oil. This change is largely the result of higher fuel economy requirements and tightening emissions certification requirements. This does not apply to your 2003 Corolla.

Toyota recommends you use 5W-30 (not 5W-20), as your vehicle is not equally compatible for this oil.

When I asked about whether I should change the oil weight if I switched to synthetic, they said:

Quote:
You can go by the text in the Owner's Manual, which shows the correct grade to use; we do not require that you use a particular brand.

The engine was designed for the recommended oil specifications. Also, your engine will be able to achieve its designed level of efficiency when the correct oil is used.

You can use synthetic oil, but Toyota does not recommend a longer oil change interval using synthetic oil in your vehicle.

If you do use synthetic, Toyota recommends that you follow the same service intervals that Toyota recommends for regular oil use.

It sounds like 5w30 is the way to go, whether synthetic or conventional. Of course, Bob's oil course indicates it can't hurt to go to 0w30 for lower starting viscosity. So I might do that with Synthetic.

Sounds more like the typical canned response from the manufacturer.

Google "Toyota oil chart". If you want to use 20wt, you can. You might notice a slight improvement in fuel economy, but nothing significant.

We have a 2003 Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE and have been using 5W20 for the past two years. 70,000 miles in the clock and it still runs like new.

So this leads me wonder why it's only back spec'd for down to 2003. Aren't all the later VVT-i 1ZZFE's very close to the same?

Originally Posted By: sw99
So this leads me wonder why it's only back spec'd for down to 2003. Aren't all the later VVT-i 1ZZFE's very close to the same?

I know the previous 1zzfe's had oil burning issues (not as common with the 03 and newer models.. ) so the engine was different before the 2003 models. I believe that might be the reason behind not back spec'ing to prior to the 03 model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back