Using Permatex Ultra Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

Today is the day I change my leaking valve cover gasket on my 99 Saturn SL1.

I will be using the pre-made fel-pro gasket, However Per Chiltons I need to add a dab of RTV to where the timing chain cover meets the rest of the engine.

Typically RTV has a 1 hour skin time, and a 24 hour cure time. Since I am not really using this to make a full on gasket but rather a gap filler, Do I need to follow these directions exactly?

Also any tips for using RTV this is my first time, I have chosen Ultra Grey because from what I can tell it is the best.

Thanks!

If you want the RTV to work, use it the same way you would if it were going all the way around. If you botch it, then there's less of a penalty.

This doesn't mean you need to follow those times exactly. Clean up thoroughly before applying; put it on and jam everything together quickly; don't run the engine until twenty minutes later. It will work out just fine.

Yes. Follow the instructions.

Clean the area. Clean it again. And finally clean it again, making sure to leave NO residue or engine oil or cleaner. A small dab of an RTV is needed anywhere the gasket encounters a seem, such as a half moon plug or a cam bearing, or where an external cover meets the head or engine.

Pundits will say that the gasket needs no additional sealant and that it instructs you to not use it. True, the gasket needs no additional sealant to aid it on the flat portions, but will leak most every time when it encounters a seem of some sort. This is further evidenced by the fact that even the auto makers use it in the places I just listed.

I'm not saying to pile it on, just a small dab applied to a CLEAN area. IMO, one of the most commons reasons RTV doesn't seal or leaks after install, is not cleaning properly. Another reason is pressing the sealant into service too soon. The longer the wait, the better.

After applying the RTV wait until it feels leathery and not tacky. Then install the valve cover to specs. Wait at least an hour before running the engine, for extra OCD you may wait till the next day.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
This doesn't mean you need to follow those times exactly. Clean up thoroughly before applying; put it on and jam everything together quickly; don't run the engine until twenty minutes later. It will work out just fine.

That's what I did on my Honda with Ultra Gray and it worked just fine. I just need a few dabs at the cam bearing "bumps" as per the service manual.

Permatex recommends immediate assembly, specifically stating "Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet." None state to leave open for any period of time or allow them to "skin".

Depending on the product they recommend different processes:

for HI-Temp, Sensor-Safe Blue, Ultra Black, Ultra Blue RTV Silicone Gasket;
Finger tighten flange only until material begins to seep
out the sides of the flange.
Allow to set for at least two hours and re-torque at
lease one quarter to one half turn.
For best results, allow to cure overnight

for Ultra Copper RTV Silicone Gasket and Ultra Grey Gasket Maker;

Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet.
Secure or tighten to recommended torque specs.
Re-torque will not be necessary after the product has
cured.

Right Stuff has slightly different instructions;

Assemble parts within 5 minutes while The Right Stuff
is still wet. Secure or tighten to recommended torque
specs.
Re-torque will not be necessary after the product has
cured.

TDS for Ultra Grey:
http://www.permatex.com/component/docume...rket=automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.