Need a good fuel system cleaner recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Camry SE 4cyl std trans which I bought new runs great @105K miles. Always used
Conventional Mobil or Toyota oil now using Mobil Super HM 5W-30 always has used 1/3-1/2
QT between 4000 mi changes which does not concern me. I need a recommendation for a good
preventative maintenance fuel system cleaner. I always use Shell 87 and once In awhile a tank of V-power which they say has more cleaner. In the past I have used Gumout Regain a couple of times with no obvious results. I just recently took a long road trip had to fill
up a couple of times with non big name fuels so I put in a small bottle of Lucas Upper Cyl Lube with injector cleaner. How does this compare to other brands such as Gumout or Tecron.
I know BG 44 is great stuff but expensive and may be over kill here. I am considering using that new Lucas Deep cleaner once and then Their upper cyl stuff maybe twice a year. Any experince with Lucas products. Also does anyone know who bottles the Toyota Injector cleaner for them? So many opinions on these products It's hard to know which to use.
Thank you Coastalguy

Pass on Lucas anything. Techron is great stuff, I would use that before every/every other oil change.

Red Line SI-1 is 30-35% PEA according to the MSDS.
Probably worth the money that it costs.
Nothing with the Lucas name on it is worth the price.
Might be worth a try if FAR, which it never is.
I'm not so sure about BG44, although some members report good results with it.
I'd use SI-1 maybe once a year and call it good.

Techron Concentrate Plus is available at Walmart and the current 12 oz bottle comes with a recommendation that it treats up to 16 gallons (used to be up to 12 gallons). It's less than $7 at most WM stores.

Red Line SI-1 is pretty good, although I tend to use it in small amounts like their old recommendations. The price varies. I used to get it cheap (less than $4 per 15 oz bottle) although now it's much more. A local speed shop has it for $8.99 a bottle, which is less than any other place I've seen it recently. The local Pep Boys has it for $12.99.

+1 for redline si-1 too.

For a 15-25gallon tank, I'd use half-bottle as an agressive treatment, which seems to work just as good as full bottle and stretches your $ a bit.
For a 10-12gallon tank, I'd use quarter bottle.

Even if everything is clean, It also has an Upper cylinder lubricant that make my car run smoother that I can feel (this is just temporary until the tank gets used up).

Once a year tank before the oil change for me.

Last edited:
I favor the larger bottle of Techron Concentrate. Though it may be more butt-dyno than anything, shortly after putting it into a full tank of gas, it seems like I have more power in my truck for awhile. Tends to last for awhile after as well. It's an especially good deal if you can find it at AAP or AZ on a monthly special (BOGO on the larger bottles make for good times).......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back