Penn Ultra 5w30 Nissan 370z VQ37VHR 7300 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvl

UOA 3 below, about as long as I will run it while under warranty (6m/7500mi).

Overall looking just peachy. Lead bit higher, likely a spot. Will continue to trend but I think the TBN is fine at this OCI with this particular VQ. Thank you Pennzoil
smile.gif

- b

Code:

OIL PU5w30 PU5w30 PU5w30

MILES IN USE 7.3K 6.3K 6K

MILES 28.8K 21.5k 15.2K

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/17/13 04/27/13 11/16/12

Makeup QT 1 1 .5

ALUMINUM 6 8 8

CHROMIUM 0 0 0

IRON 11 13 15

COPPER 8 9 15

LEAD 14 4 5

TIN 1 0 5

MOLYBDENUM 59 65 64

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 1 1 1

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 2 2 2

POTASSIUM 3 1 4

BORON 44 82 83

SILICON 10 7 10

SODIUM 4 11 5

CALCIUM 2405 2791 2893

MAGNESIUM 34 41 18

PHOSPHORUS 792 806 747

ZINC 883 966 914

BARIUM 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.2 0.4 0.2

WATER 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 405 425 425

SUS VIS 210ºF 58.1 57.8 57.4

cSt @ 212ºF 9.69 9.59 9.48

TBN 3.0 2.8

The lead did spike a bit but I'm hesitant to call it a serious problem. Obviously you ran the oil longer.

Next time, get a TAN measurement in addition to TBN.

I think a 6-7k change interval is the sweet spot, so keep doing what you're doing (unless that lead continues to read high, then maybe back the change interval down to 6k).

Yes, lead is a little high. Without the QT of makeup oil, it might have been at 17 or 18. Copper is not high, but slightly more than normal.

I assume no oil cooler?

Yes - engine is fine; so is lube. The Pb is likely a spike and will settle again.

I would advise against TBN/TAN testing if you have no intent to greatly extend your OCIs; it's just wasted money. But then again, so is PU for 7.5k miles. Or even doing a UOA when you have no plan to use the data to any practical means.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yes - engine is fine; so is lube. The Pb is likely a spike and will settle again.

I would advise against TBN/TAN testing if you have no intent to greatly extend your OCIs; it's just wasted money. But then again, so is PU for 7.5k miles. Or even doing a UOA when you have no plan to use the data to any practical means.

The Great OZ has spoken!!! LOL!

He can't extend his OCI's if he wants to keep his warranty. Plus it's his money to "waste".

I'd rather change (waste to you) 4 quarts of oil before it's used up, than risk damaging my engine with ridiculously long OCI's based on a cheap UOA!!!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Yes, lead is a little high. Without the QT of makeup oil, it might have been at 17 or 18. Copper is not high, but slightly more than normal.

I assume no oil cooler?

Correct, stock car, no aftermarket oil cooler as I don't track. I tend to do some decent sized HW commutes in it in between driving some other cars (I have a habit I admit....but think I have just the right amount of cars now
smile.gif

I hear folks on the TAN but I am not interested in running 8, 9, 10K+ even if the oil likely can handle it on my application. I do this to try to help save a few quarts of oil in the environment as well as prove without a doubt that Nissan's 3m/3750 recommendation is horse hockey. I am a car geek, just not a hard core oil geek. Lets face it, the money spent on TAN/TBN easily buys 5qt of new Pennzoil/M1 use
smile.gif

Past 20 years or so 7500 mi OCI has done very well on all my cars and I'll be sticking to that. Except for the most recent addition to the stable ( 335d...yummy diesel). That one is a whole new ball game with few LL04 oils out there. It will also cause my other cars to get driven less so 6mo OCIs on the Z should not see more then 5K, and the Cayman < 10K annually and the battle wagon 2002 WRX < 7500 annually.

thanks for the comments

- b

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kender

The Great OZ has spoken!!! LOL!

He can't extend his OCI's if he wants to keep his warranty. Plus it's his money to "waste".

I'd rather change (waste to you) 4 quarts of oil before it's used up, than risk damaging my engine with ridiculously long OCI's based on a cheap UOA!!!!
laugh.gif

For you to say he cannot extend his OCI within warranty is untrue; he most certainly can. But it shifts the burden of proof to him and away from the OEM should a problem arise. Make sure to note that I am being careful to delineate the difference between burden of proof versus legal responsibility. Venturing off the reservation does not automatically assume guilt, but it does shift who has to prove what. Extending one's OCI during warranty does not mean the OEM is relieved of all accountability. What it means is that those who don't follow OEM criteria must be able to prove that their actions were still viable, and the burden is upon them to show data relevant to the cause of failure regarding warranty provisions. Conceptually it would not be much different than using an unlicensed product. Most folks here don't understand warranty provisions and how they relate to the M/M ACT. Find the FTC website and do some solid research. And read up on warranty case law decisions. Then you'll be in a better place to understand how OCIs and warranty interact. This is why I don't advise extended OCIs during warranty; most folks don't have the data or the consistency of approach to be able to take on that prolonged, uphill battle. It's not that it cannot be done; it most certainly can. It just likely would be very difficult to call it "worth it". I speak from experience; I've filed and fought a "lemon law" case through the IN Atty General more than two decades ago. I've tried to keep up on the small changes in case decisions through the years but I'm sure I've missed a few here and there. But it is completely inaccurate to say he "can't" do it; he most certainly can. He just likely is ill-prepared to do it.

And, he can waste money to be happy. I do it, too (mostly firearms, bourbon & cigars, etc). Life would be pretty boring if we had no pleasures to endulge in.

But I don't try to hide or rationalize my waste; I admit it for what it is. Emotional satisfaction is not "wrong", but that does cleanse it from being "waste".

If you'd rather waste oil, that's fine, as long as you can see it for what it is, and not try to justify it with poor reasoning and/or biased mythology.

OTOH - I'd rather make pragmatic decisions in most expenditures, so that I have funds available for life's endulgences. I'll save money with well-reasoned and informed OCIs, so that I can "waste" it on ammo and cigars. Still other folks will "save" money by not smoking or drinking, so they can "waste" money on lubricants. Perspective is a matter of where one stands.

Here's the underlying distinction: When I waste money on fun items or frivolity, I can admit it. I don't try to use rhetoric and hype to make it seem sensible, because it's not. There is nothing "wrong" with paying for PU and a super-duper filter and a UOA and TBN/TAN if you're going to run 7.5k miles in the OEM plan. But that does NOT means it's not wasteful. Do it because you want to; that's fine by any of us. But don't try to push it off as anything but a "want", because data shows there is no "need" for such efforts, nor any tangible reward.

Why is this important? Because not every member here has unlimited funds to throw at lubricants and filters. Some here are poor college students. Others are struggling single-parents. It is unfair and downright bogus to infer that folks "need" synthetics or premium filters, and UOAs with extra costs, for "normal" use.

It's OK to waste. It is not OK to infer waste is essential.

So to bring this full circle, go back and re-read what I said earlier. The engine is OK. The lube is OK. There is waste in PU for 7.5k miles. There is more waste in doing a UOA if OEM OCIs are your plan. There is yet more waste if you're going to double-down and pay $10 for TBN and another $10 for TAN, when you have ZERO intention of extending the OCI. Those are facts. Wanting to waste does not make it less of a waste. It may be pallatable, but it is not prudent.

Now if you'd kindly close the big green curtain behind you on your way out ... I have more myths to slay.

Last edited:
For you to say he cannot extend his OCI within warranty is untrue; he most certainly can. But it shifts the burden of proof to him and away from the OEM should a problem arise. Make sure to note that I am being careful to delineate the difference between burden of proof versus legal responsibility. Venturing off the reservation does not automatically assume guilt, but it does shift who has to prove what.

Since this would be a civil case, neither party would be found guilty in court. All the manufacturer has to do is decline the repair then it's up to the consumer to sue the company. Which would mean hiring counsel, spending a lot of money, and waiting a long length of time for an outcome most likely. Then the company can appeal, which means spending more money on counsel. Technically you may be correct in court but it will cost a lot of time and money. Much better to follow the manufacturers maintenance guide. In other words I don't want to give them any reason to deny my claim. I've had claims honored outside of the warranty because of maintenance records.

I was referring to the concept of "wrong"; a poor choice of wording on my part. Your technical ascertation of the term is correct in that case. My apologies. However, I will note that there most certainly can be "guilt" in civil cases, such as those of wrongful death, etc. I would presume that the terminology may be a bit different from state to state, but the concept is sound. "Guilt" can be found in civil cases. But it was a poor choice of words in my example. Sorry.

Doesn't really change my thrust, though. When you deviate from warranty provisions, then it is you who must prove that your actions were not the cause of some failure; you must show that your actions did not cause the issue. Whereas if you follow warranty provisions, it is the OEM that must show they are not at fault.

There must be a direct causal relationship. If you use Amsoil, and extend your OCI, the OEM would find it difficult to blame the lube for a broken cam belt during warranty...
If you use Amsoil, and extend your OCI, and you suffer a cam lobe failure during warranty, then the OEM can initially deny coverage, and it would be up to you/Amsoil to prove that the lube was not at fault. Enter tort claims, lawyers, massive time and money expenditures ... You may "win" the case, but it might take a large effort.

NOTE: I used Amsoil on purose for this example for three reasons:
1 - they make excellent fluids that have a good reputation
2 - they have a well-written warranty policy
3 - they have a good legal team that can support the user against such denials
I will also note that Amsoil will only honor their written warranty if you follow their provisions ... You cannot decide to use SVG gear oil in the engine sump, and expect the OEM or Amsoil to agree to cover you. Unless you can prove in civil court that SVG is a good product to lube your engine ...

This is good to see. I am running PU 5W-20 (SN) in my wife's Mazda 6 (2.5L), and the current fill is the first OCI I am stretching out to 7.5K miles. I think I did 6K and 7K prior to this fill, never done a UOA and not sure if I really need one. Looking at other UOAs, it appears your engine is typically harder on oil than mine, and your UOA looks good.

Yes, I realize there is a lot of unscientific extrapolation going on here on my part, but it's still nice to see a similar oil go the distance I am using in an engine that typically beats up oil more so than mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
For you to say he cannot extend his OCI within warranty is untrue; he most certainly can. But it shifts the burden of proof to him and away from the OEM should a problem arise. Make sure to note that I am being careful to delineate the difference between burden of proof versus legal responsibility. Venturing off the reservation does not automatically assume guilt, but it does shift who has to prove what.

Since this would be a civil case, neither party would be found guilty in court. All the manufacturer has to do is decline the repair then it's up to the consumer to sue the company. Which would mean hiring counsel, spending a lot of money, and waiting a long length of time for an outcome most likely. Then the company can appeal, which means spending more money on counsel. Technically you may be correct in court but it will cost a lot of time and money. Much better to follow the manufacturers maintenance guide. In other words I don't want to give them any reason to deny my claim. I've had claims honored outside of the warranty because of maintenance records.

I'm with you on this one, Satin. Burden of proof is no small matter.

I think it a bit unfair to accuse the poster of waste. Has Mr. Newton considered that the poster might be an oil change hobbyist? Its a hobby like any other. I hear they even have their own web site.

I congratulate the poster on testing at a non-OCD OCI.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

I think it a bit unfair to accuse the poster of waste. Has Mr. Newton considered that the poster might be an oil change hobbyist? Its a hobby like any other. I hear they even have their own web site.

I congratulate the poster on testing at a non-OCD OCI.

Ding Ding Ding. Its interesting to me. I like the data and should I ever have the misfortune of having to deal with Nissan or a dealer about a warranty repair of the engine (I certainly don't want this), and they try to pull the you didn't change the oil with the Severe schedule fear tactic, I have some science to say look...oil was performing very well with more room to go.

I'm not happy about having to change it every 6 months knowing my spring change will have < 5K on the oil but that is for warranty only. I still use PU year round as its a great oil and consistent. Wasting $10 is fine by me and besides I still have a stronger synthetic for those 7K shifts that actuate the VVT system that appear to be rougher on oils in this engine.
smile.gif

Out of warranty, I would have no issue running longer OCIs if it was a high annual mile car. It likely will live its life as a lower mile car post warranty, and I will change the oil once a year. Time is time, and while it likely can go 2 years 10K miles total with no issues...its a year. Its $30. I'm OK with that once a year. Bonding time with the car.

- b

Originally Posted By: bvl
Ding Ding Ding. Its interesting to me. I like the data and should I ever have the misfortune of having to deal with Nissan or a dealer about a warranty repair of the engine (I certainly don't want this), and they try to pull the you didn't change the oil with the Severe schedule fear tactic, I have some science to say look...oil was performing very well with more room to go.

I'm sure that's a workable strategy under warranty, and the Nissan/Infiniti severe service rules aren't the strictest out there. In any event, my strategy was different. I used PYB 5w-30 at the severe service interval for my warranty strategy.

I'm puzzled. I love Pennzoil Ultra for just about any other car engine, but if I had a Nissan VQ engine I'd use the special Nissan ester oil. With Nissan's special hydrogen free DLC coating it has a strong molecular attraction towards Nissan's special nano particle ester oil.

It's a silly gimmick at an outrageous price. It was a band aid to deal with VVEL noise, which isn't really an oil related issue at all in most instances. I don't think they even bother recommending the product in the new vehicles.

Looks like the Nissan ester oil and special DLC surface cuts friction by a substantial amount. http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/dlc.html but its all just gimmicky nonsense, yeah, tell that to the engineers who witnessed this combo cutting friction.

In reality the average person with a Nissan doesn't care about valvetrain friction because they don't understand it saves gas. From a marketing standpoint, they should just emphasize fuel economy benefits, kind of dumbs it down a bit for the masses.

I read all that stuff before I even bought my G. I even read the paper that Kano collaborated on two years prior to the one you referenced. Nowhere did I state anything about a conspiracy theory. You're cherry picking publications. You picked one academic paper and one piece of an automaker's marketing fluff.

Check the TSBs on the engines in question. Check for any references to the Genuine Nissan Ester Oil in OMs and FSMs. Let's assume that this oil combined with the coating saves gas, thanks to its great friction reducing capabilities. Never once has Infiniti/Nissan marketed that product as such in any owner's manual, service manual, or service bay. Any reference to it in the manuals and TSBs was to deal with VVEL noise, which is rarely an oiling issue in the first place, and more of a computer/electrical issue. Reference to the product was pulled from materials like sometime after the 2008 model year.

My model year happens to be the one for which the product is most often recommended by Infiniti/Nissan. Yet, there isn't a single reference to it in the OM or the FSM. Both make all kinds of mention of genuine Infiniti/Nissan parts and fluids, except for motor oil, where they only call for a 5w-30 in SM/GF-4 or better.

As for "the engineers who witnessed this combo cutting friction," this is what I'd tell them. They did an incredibly poor job of getting that across to marketing or the people who are in charge of tallying CAFE credits. They price the oil oppressively and obscenely high. They only recommended it in comparatively few instances over the product's lifespan. All TSB references to the product are to deal with engine noise. Infiniti/Nissan service bays ignore that the product even exists. Up here, for instance, they have an agreement with Imperial Oil for service fill. That means they offer Mobil Super 1000, Mobil Super 2000, and Mobil 1 as service fills. They don't even list the ester oil as an option in the various oil change packages at the dealers.

So, while other Japanese automakers are using high VI 0w-20 oils marketed at very competitive prices combined with extended OCIs, Infiniti/Nissan engineers and marketing personnel take a great friction reducing combination, price the oil into the stratosphere, bury references to it in TSBs for engine noise, recommend it only for one or two model years and one engine family and in very select conditions, push it out of service departments in favour of a well publicized relationship with Mobil products, and keep severe service intervals to 3750 miles.

Fantastic job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back