Honda Cabin Air Filter vs. Fram FreshBreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed out the cabin air filters in my gf's "new" 2001 Civic. The original ones were getting pretty dirty and had plenty of leaves/dirt/bugs/etc. in them. Replaced them with Fram FreshBreeze cabin air filters I got on sale for $8 on clearance (pack of 2). The OEM Honda ones have more pleats and the Frams appear to have thicker pleats, but a black residue all over them. Any thoughts? This is our first car with a cabin air filter and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I'm guessing the old ones were pretty shot, even if I had tried to shake the leaves out of it. We aren't sure how long the previous filters have been in there for. The air filter is looking a little dirty as well, also OEM. I'll probably end up changing that soon -- does anyone know if any of the aftermarket brands fit as well as the OEM on the '01 Civic?

5j21.jpg

On top: new Fram FreshBreeze. On the bottom: OEM Honda

0r8t.jpg

Both old Honda cabin air filters.

More pleats = more surface area = less pressure drop and holding capacity.

Black stuff is probably activated carbon.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
More pleats = more surface area = less pressure drop and holding capacity.

Black stuff is probably activated carbon.

I think you're right. I just found this on the Fram website:

"The FRAM Fresh Breeze® cabin air filter is made with a special media that includes carbon and Arm & Hammer® baking soda. The carbon gives the media the darker look. The reason we use carbon and baking soda in our media is to adsorb odors that may enter through your vehicle's ventilation systems. In many cases the filter that was in your car may not have carbon or baking soda. These types of filters do not reduce any odors."

Where did you get those for $8? Even if it's black mold on there I'd still buy them at that price, j/k.

Meijer has a store down the road from us where they sell discontinued or clearanced merchandise, called Meijer Thrifty Outlet. They had a ton of Purolator and Fram filters on clearance, and 30% off the clearance price. I stocked up on a ton of oil filters (PureOnes and Purolator Synthetics) and two packs of these cabin air filters. I suspect they may have been on clearance because the package says "Contains 1 piece" when the packages at the regular Meijer store say "Contains 2 pieces" (they were both a pack of 2, so saying it includes 1 piece is a bit misleading and perhaps a typo)

The Fram FreezeBreeze is nice cabin filter, it help absorbs odors and seems more lasting than bosch (that often has mold odor if there is water seep in to the filter).

However resistance wise I find Wix is better, gives better airflow .

The Fram Fresh Breeze are mediocre at best. In both of my experiences with them they clog easily and even when new restrict air flow. The last one came out of the Tacoma and was not flat as it had nearly completely clogged over the winter and was warped into a U shape in 7 months. Never again. My previous experience was in my 2005 Accord. Very similar results.

I'm very leery of anything that contains baking soda as a odor neutralizer. I worked in the vacuum industry for a few years and we had all kinds of problems with Arm & Hammmer vacuum products. The fine powder is like sand and would get into bearings and tear them apart.

I don't want to replace a blower motor with shot bushings, bearings... so I wouldn't by the Fram personally but wish you the best of luck

I bought two of these filters, one for my wife's Civic and one for my STI. Both seem to restrict flow more than the OEM they replaced, and both added more noise. The air coming in doesn't smell any nicer, since the carbon probably deactivated and absorbed as much as it could in short order.

I can't remember how much I got them for, but I remember that they were BOGO. If the sale came up again, I'd skip it.

Note: Both filters are still installed and working just fine, albeit with the the above-mentioned characteristics - not issues worthy of swapping out early, just enough that I wouldn't go out of my way to buy these again.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Fram Fresh Breeze filters at all. I have 'read' that they can/tend to reduce air flow as compared to standard type/oem. But again no experience them.

For the 01 Civic I've used Purolator BreatheEasy filters sold at AAP, to my eye they appear identical to Honda oem. And looking at other brands like STP sold at AZ they also look to be very similar.

As for the number in the package, this application is rather unique in my experience as two filters are required for full replacement. Likely realized later they had to put two pieces on box for this application.

Quite frankly when comes to CAF's they are way overpriced for what they are imo. I look for something readily available at the lowest price I can find, that fits and looks close to or same as oem. As mentioned Puro BE has worked but I'd use something else if it met those requirements.

I noticed Denso was stamped on the Toyota labled air and cabin filters that I bought at the dealer with a 15% off coupon. Still too expensive imo.

To those talking about restriction how can you tell that its so restricted compared to oem what did you measure the airflow with? Hard to believe its enough different to strain the blower and restrict air flow noticeably. I've tried fram on several vehicles worked as well as OEM or electrostatic filter. If you have allergies or asthma the carbon is probably more helpful with airborne irritants as scent will enter your car from more than the HVAC.

Even when you first put it in you can notice the reduced airflow. On the last one I will ever use, it was a real bear to remove from its slot because the blower needed air and just deformed the cheap cardboard frame. The TYC I replaced it with has a nice stiff plastic frame, it only cost $7.81 and has been in all summer and still has plenty of flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back