Reliable Brand for Crank Position Sensor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for a 87 Nissan Maxima with a VG30 engine. Several later model Nissans used this combo crank and cam sensor, which is in the distributor. Brands I see are the usual Standard (Intermotor , BWD) and Airtex. There's also Facet , but it's hard to tell who the manufactures or who reboxes. Not too long ago Standard was a quality brand.

Beck Arnley.Even though I bought a BA crank sensor once,and it had a break somewhere in its wiring (this one has a 2' lead wire) causing an intermittent no start/stall.

Nothing Wells ever worked right for me. I would just order from the dealer or online that sells Nissan parts.

Wells and Airtex are the same company. Standard, Intermotor, BWD and Echlin are all Standard brands.OEM components have been bought by Standard as well.

Standard/Intermotor/BWD is generally pretty good quality, but they do have some duds. The last Ford IAC valve I got from them was junk out of the box. It was made in Mexico; they had been making them in the US previously.

I am not really a huge fan of Airtex. They are probably better than really bottom of the barrel stuff like Dorman, but not by much.

I would go with OE if available and not too expensive.

OEM should always be considered first , if price is too much then go aftermarket. For foreign applications Beck Arnley if available then Intermotor. For domestics either BWD or Wells is acceptable if OEM is not an option. In my professional experience I have seen more Standard ( BWD,Intermotor) failures than Wells including Duralast parts. OEM parts almost always perform better and longer however the lifetime warranty of parts store engine management parts is hard to beat.

FWIW, I bought a standard/intermotor EVAP charcoal canister for my nissan 2-3 years back. Had nissan logo stamped on it. Looks identical to original nissan part. Costs 3X less.

I bet Standard supplies OEM parts too.

A little more digging and I found that you can't just buy the OEM sensor, you have to buy the whole distributor - at $350 that's too expensive.

At the parts store I also found BWD P-series (Professional) with a lifetime warranty, although BWD corporate gives this a 1 year and a 3 yr on the non-P . It looks like BWD P series is a new lower tier the same as the Standard T-series. But, for this sensor all the BWD and Standard all look identical in the pics and are made in Tawain. Of course, the internal electronic components could easily be different/ lower cost or the components could be the same and warranty is just different. FWIW, I think I found at least one post on another site from someone who worked for an OES vendor that said that recently Standard changed mid-tier and premium brands BWD/Standard/Echlin are the same except for colors ,warranty and box. Low tier parts were outsourced off-shore.

Facet, Euro brand in Italy, looks to be mfr of the Airtex/Wells, Autozone, and the low tier Napa part they rebox. The outside case looks like OEM, but again the components are a question. I haven't found a whole lot on Facet other than it's used on Euro vehicles. I think it is a roll of the dice either way.

I have to wonder if there are companies that rebuild distributors that actually last. In nearly every rebuilt distributor for EFI engines I used, it needed to be replaced again 1 year later.

I went through the same thing with a 97 Altima. OEM/Dealer was around 300 or 400. Picked up whatever Autozone had with a lifetime waranty. Ended up swapping about 1/yr for 3yrs but with the lifetime waranty, didn't pay anything additional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back