Who Makes Super Tech Dino And Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: accent2012
I'm sure they are perfectly safe to use in a modern car and older cars, but I wouldn't try and see if they can go for over 5,000 miles.

You may have just opened a nasty can of worms. Enjoy. Check the UOA forum for some pretty impressive UOAs the involved Supertech.

Here in Southern California Warren makes the 5w20 synthetic; the bottle has the "WPP" on the bottom. The other synthetic grades are made by another company. My 5W30 5-quart bottle has a big "Q" with "LEE" written underneath it. I think it might be Citgo. It also says "made in USA" on the label.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
So we know that Warren or Exxon makes Walmarts supertech oil.

Does this mean it will be the SAME EXACT blend chemically? I was considering using Supertech for my saturn, after i try all the high mileage oils on the market a few times.. (if they dont help with consumption) And I am a bit OCD, and will only want to top up with the same oil i filled with, if they are different formulations I will look at other inexpensive alternatives
No, it does not mean that. If you buy a large enough order, any company will mix up anything you want to sell under your label. Expect to see the lowest price (quality) base oil and the lowest price (quality) additive package that will produce a product to meet minimum spec. That's what Walmart is all about--squeezing suppliers and squeezing every other cost point in the chain.

Walmart Supertech synthetic oil is certainly OK, but why bother? I'd rather buy a top name brand conventional oil at about the same price. I'd expect it to have a better additive package.

For the very oldest cars I am driving, I generally use Supertech, Walmart oils and change the oil every 4-5000 miles. I use their filters too.
My thought was that with the mileage on these cars, the engines are on their way out any day so why pay more? I have been surprised how much longer these are going than what I expected.
We have no rust here in the far South, so most maintenance is tires, batteries, brakes, 5 year anti-freeze c/o, and a good windshield sunscreen to keep the dash from cracking. Occasionally something else needs attention like a water pump, alternator, hose, timing belt, plugs/wires or whatever, but those parts are cheap in the overall picture. It is the labor that eats you alive. I still persist at all my maintenance and repairs, but so many times I wish I could turn it over to some one else.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back