Mopar +4 vs Castrol +4 vs BG

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to change the transmission fluid in the 2006 Grand Caravan. Actually, at 108,000 miles it's a bit overdue. I'm trying to decide which fluid to use in it. Because of local availability I've narrowed it down to Mopar +4, Castrol Transmax +4, and the BG synthetic universal transmission fluid, there are also a couple +4 store brands but I normally stick with name brands on lubricants. A friend of mine works at a shop where they exclusively use the BG and says they've had really good success with it. It seems to be really good stuff. From what I can find on here the +4 fluids are also very high quality. I've seen a few opinions on here but would like to get a few more and hear what others have used and how things have gone.

A sub-question is would it be better to drop the pan, change filter, and refill, or flush it. I've heard opinions in favor of both. Apparently, Chrysler strongly recommends avoiding flushes. But on the other hand with a dry fill capacity of over 9 quarts dropping the plan will only change less than half of the fluid.

Thoughts?

It's my understanding that all +4 ATF's are licensed and as good as each other.
I would use Walmart ST based on price.
At any rate I would avoid the BG universal in this application.

I recently used Transmax ATF +4 in my mom's Charger and it shifts as it should. In my opinion you should drop the pan.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It's my understanding that all +4 ATF's are licensed and as good as each other.
I would use Walmart ST based on price.
At any rate I would avoid the BG universal in this application.

+1

A604s do not like special fluids. Just stick with the cheapest +4 you can find! If that bothers you, use the Mopar stuff.

+4, +4, +4, only +4!!!! Geegelouise!!!! How many times does it have to be said??? Anyone who uses anything else is gambling their very expensive transmission. So, do you feel lucky, punk?? BG or any other so called universal ATF is gambling with YOUR transmission. Let them use this stuff on THEIR transmission. Rebuilders, especially, don't care, most have a very limited warranty. There are any number of anecdotal reports that say this or that ATF works fine for them, so what? Ask yourself this, how many have done so for 10-15 years and 150K-200K+ miles?? I have a 1989 3.0 4 speed GC, all original with 179K, 2 94 GC's 209K & 243K, and 2000 GC with 153K. All work just fine except the GC with 243K which was wiped out because of a failed left axle bearing failure.

All these trannys had +3 before +4 was available.

I get all my +4 at WM, currently $4.77/qt. A few years ago it was $3.27 and I stocked up. I still have some in my stash.

I'm happy to say that my new 2013 GC 6 speed uses +4. Good enough for me.

All my vans see severe service. 1st.change at 60K, 2nd. at 50K then 30K thereafter. Also, all my vans have secondary oil coolers, very important in this climate.

Wayne

Last edited:
Well this thread is pretty much going where I was expecting it to go. I'm typically against "universals," additives, etc. But I've heard such good things about BG that I thought I'd give it a chance here.

Any thoughts on the flush vs pan drop? I saw one vote for pan drop. Any ideas as to why Chrysler is against flushes?

Pan drop and filter change.

Add a drain plug to the pan while it is off so future drains and refills are simple.

+4 only.

Universals are just for shops who don't want to stock all appropriate licensed fluids for all vehicles, IMO.

I'm realizing that I should have said "fluid exchange" instead of flush. I'm just thinking of a simple passive exchange where the new fluid is added into the cooler return line as the transmission pumps it out of the exit cooler line. Does a simple fluid exchange really risk damage?

I own a Sebring 2.4 with the mutt trans that loses the wave ring. Car has 45,000 miles. The trans runs ok but was having some minor shifting issues.

I am running Redline C+ which is a direct replacement for Chrysler +4 fluid.
100% Synthetic. 10,000 miles on fluid so far and the transmission runs perfect.

I run Redline trans fluid in all my cars for years now. Never any trans issues.

Our '99 GC 3.3L 41TE had factory fill ATF+3, exchanged by cooler line method with ATF+4 at about 50K miles. Another ATF+4 exchange at 150K or so. Still running like new when traded at 220K miles. Also at 50K, added an external cooler and full flow filter. Possibly that is overkill, but the 41TE had a bad reputation. Not sure about the first exchange, but the second was definitely Walmart brand ATF+4.

Having owned a bunch of chryslers, and currently an ailing 41TE in the driveway, I'll add that I like the the castrol +4 variant. I've done the LubeGuard thing and didn't like it. Even red as an additive did undesirable things, in my case made the shifts flare and slip (and yes, RED, not black).

After using castrol +4 ifor several years, I moved to amsoil. I haven't had any problems with it, either.

My truck came with dealer-installed BG. BG fluid was a universal, but was not the proper viscocity--- yes it ran fine, though it shifted HARD and Heavy. Once I put the proper V fluid it (in this case I went to amsoil low viscosity ATF) the shifts became light and quick. no flare, no bang. So-- I think BG was a little "wide" with their spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back