How often to change oil drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change out the crush washer when it gets really deformed. Only once changed the plug when it deformed while trying to remove it. As long as I don't see oil puddles on my driveway I know it's all good.
grin2.gif

I'm thinking of replacing the drain plug on my parents' 2008 Nissan Rogue the next time I change the oil for them. When I changed the oil for them I had a hard time removing the gasket. It was the Nissan OEM type, and I don't believe that it was placed there by the quickie-lube type service place they got their oil changed. If they had changed the gasket it would have probably been a solid aluminum or copper type.

The base of the plug has two deep gouges in them where the gasket seats against the plug. They had a dealer maintenance plan for the first few years and the oil was probably changed at a dealer with an OEM gasket. However, these things have a design that looks like it can dig into the metal of the plug.

31jxgDO9GcL.jpg

I've got an order of ordinary M12 copper sealing washers. I intend on using these for any oil changes where I need an M12, like a Nissan or Toyota.

On my personal vehicles that I change the oil on I have never replaced a drain plug. The vehicles I have had with sheet metal oil pans I replaced the drain plug gasket every oil change. Every vehicle that I have owned that had an aluminum oil pan the drain plug has a rubber o-ring gasket that appears to last forever.

With this being said I do have a couple of spare plugs and gasket just in case. The moment you don't have a spare is the moment something breaks.

I was able to pick up OEM drain plugs and gasket off ebay for real cheap.

Originally Posted By: stchman
On my personal vehicles that I change the oil on I have never replaced a drain plug. The vehicles I have had with sheet metal oil pans I replaced the drain plug gasket every oil change. Every vehicle that I have owned that had an aluminum oil pan the drain plug has a rubber o-ring gasket that appears to last forever.

With this being said I do have a couple of spare plugs and gasket just in case. The moment you don't have a spare is the moment something breaks.

I was able to pick up OEM drain plugs and gasket off ebay for real cheap.

I just ordered a couple of OEM Honda drain plugs today. I just wanted to try something different and ordered the equivalent from an Acura dealer via the Honda eStore online parts ordering system. The prices I get are far better than I can get walking into a parts department. The plugs were $1.40 each for OEM. What I really needed was the drain plug for the automatic transmission after I'd rounded off the head a bit. That was under $8, but comes with a massive magnet. None of the Honda dealers had it in stock, and most quoted about $13 to order it.

I'm sure these are the right parts since I cross-referenced the part numbers.

Have never replaced one, but one of the current vehicles seem to have the threads a little whacked out so (was like that when I bought it) - I might pick one up next time I re-stock my stash of filters. I been replacing the metal gasket for each OC too, unlike all other vehicles I have/had I can't remember ever replacing the gasket.

Another thread in the wrong forum. What's going on here? It makes the search function that's already difficult, even worse.

I've purchased more than 1 vehicle that had an *interesting* drain plug that I had to change. One E30 I bought somebody had threaded ina spark plug - and then broke off the ceramic. It sort of sealed, it dripped a little from the center electrode, but not much. Another one I swear at one time was a temp sending unit, but I can't tell for sure. Replacement plug with the wrong threads that was cross-threaded in. People get really, really stupid......

I switched to a magnetic plug on my 328Ci when I did the first motor build thinking that the break-in from the new, very tight tolerance, pistons/rods/bearings/cams/rockers/valvetrain, etc, would result in a fair amount of metallic shavings and it turned out to be a good idea.

I just switched my 325i DD to a magnetic plug the past OC, with the car at something like 169k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back