Chevy Equinox Trans & Diffie Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Model, 3.4 All Wheel Drive

Just picked up the car for my daughter. I want to service the drive train.....

anyone have one and service the drivetrain? Is there just two components to service?

fluids?

Thanks,

LCM

As far as I know, all you have to do is change the ATF fluid and filter by dropping the tranny pan. There should be a capacity for how much fluid to put back in in your owners manual. I'm going to guess it's around 7.5 quarts.

The car started life as a front wheel drive,with transverse engine,the tranny and front diff should be the same unit.Like a Ford Escape.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Going to be TI-V in the AT and GM Versatrack in the TC and rear differential.

Thanks, checked a little further...the automatic transmission takes GM-T-IV ATF and the transaxle and rear end Versatrak fluid.

Question: Are there equals in the aftermarket business.....p.s. even Amsoil states the Versatrak fluid spec....they don't have a fluid for it?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Going to be TI-V in the AT and GM Versatrack in the TC and rear differential.

Thanks, checked a little further...the automatic transmission takes GM-T-IV ATF and the transaxle and rear end Versatrak fluid.

Question: Are there equals in the aftermarket business.....p.s. even Amsoil states the Versatrak fluid spec....they don't have a fluid for it?

As a typical BITOGER...I have found out so far as the transfer and rear end fluids, RoyalPurple is the only aftermarket replacement for the Versatrak fluid.

OP already discovered the answer in that there is a Power Transfer Unit( t-case )and Rear Drive Module( rear diff ), in addition to the trans, that need fluid replacement as the Equinox is an AWD. Couple things...

1 - I had an Equinox( 08 AWD ). There is no trans filter to replace on the Equinox's equipped with the 5 spd Aisin trans used behind the 3.4L unless the whole trans is removed and taken apart. All you do is pull a drain plug( on the right rear as I recall )to drain it. Takes approx. 4qts to top off fluid again( no normal dipstick to check fluid level - it is hidden behind a nut somewhere ). Filter is not a normal service item on those Aisin transmissions. Many Equinox owner's were adding inline filters that can be changed when I had mine. Fluid to use is T-IV( 08+ sport models with the 6 spd trans used Dev VI just FYI ). Any multi purpose ATF that lists T-IV will do the job.

2 - The PTU's and RDM's used different fluid based on model years and even which engine/trans the vehicle had( 08+ ). The early models, like the OP's 2006, used a special GM fluid called Versatrak in both the PTU and RDM while later model years like my 08 used 75W-90 synthetic gear oil( GM's Grape Juice )in the RDM and Versatrak in the PTU( Sport w/ 3.6L used 75W90 ). It really flipped flopped around. You need to make sure which is used in your specific model year. For the OP with a 2006 it is Versatrak in both the PTU and RDM.

3 - GM's Versatrak fluid is another one of those "special" GM fluids that does not have a lot of aftermarket options. IMO use the GM stuff. However, there has been some success using RP's Synchromax fluid as a replacement. RP lists it as a replacement and lots of people have used it with good results while others have not faired so well and reported grinding. The Saturn Vue crowd seemed to have the best results replacing it with the RP stuff. There was a member here that had an AWD GM minivan type vehicle that tried it and it did not work for him though. So, it may or may not work for the OP in his Equinox? That is why IMO it is best to just stick with the GM stuff.

Thank you for the information, and you are correcto.....the addition price of VersaTrack fluid vs. the Royal purple for the 2.5 quarts is an additional 12 bucks so that won't break the bank.

Question: Did the transfer case have a drain? or did you have to suck out the fluid? Just from some intial research, it looks like just the transaxle and the rear diffie have drains.

Thanks,
LCM

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Thank you for the information, and you are correcto.....the addition price of VersaTrack fluid vs. the Royal purple for the 2.5 quarts is an additional 12 bucks so that won't break the bank.

Question: Did the transfer case have a drain? or did you have to suck out the fluid? Just from some intial research, it looks like just the transaxle and the rear diffie have drains.

Thanks,
LCM

I am pretty sure there is a drain plug. I don't remember where it is though. Sorry.

Ok, just finished the drivetrain service this afternoon. Everything went well and I was happy to see the fluids coming out looked good. I pumped the GM T-IV atf in the fill hole after draining the transaxle. It was 3.3 quarts. I understand that Valvoline makes an Import Full Synthetic oil that is half the cost of the GM T-IV and meets the Aisin transmission spec. I used the GM Versatrack fluid in the transfer case and rear end. The only company that claims to meet the GM versatrack spec is Royal Purple syncromax at half the cost of Versatrack fluid. The rear end did have another lube that was not Versatrack and I went back with the Versatrack fluid. The change interval is 60K, I will go 50K on all the components. Easy to do...enjoyed the afternoon under the Equinox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back