AC Delco PF48 vs Fram Utra XG10060

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Fram Ultra oil filter for my truck and just had to post pics of the two side by side.

All in all IMO the AC Delco looks better built from the outside. They both weigh about the same and the AC Delco has a thicker gasket than the Fram Ultra.

The Fram is supposed to be WAYYY better.

The Fram has a lot more inlet holes and a pretty orange silicone ADBV

10604647175_689300e007_o.jpg

Interesting comparison.
thumbsup2.gif
The PF48 is an excellent filter, I hope it does not get an ECore variant.

I don't think a superficial exterior examination of the two filters really tells much as far as interior construction, efficiency and the value of a filter.

In this case, it's the difference between ACD'd standard cellulose media construction and Ultra's synthetic media designed as an extended oci/fci filter.

While the number and size of intake holes is basically irrelavant, the silicone material used in the Ultra adbv is a more durable and reliable material than ACD's nitrile over the course of longer oci's. And as long as the sealing gasket is thick enough to maintain the seal over the course of the oci, then the difference between the two is basically a non factor. The Ultra's sealing gasket looks plenty thick enough to me.

The PF48 ISO tested ~95%@20um efficient in the Amsoil test of oem filters which is very respectable. The Ultra is rated 99% > 20um and for use up to 15k mi. oci's.

The initial cost of each and the length of the oci/fci will determine whether the max value of each would be obtained. If one is planning to run a 5-7.5k mi. oci/fci then likely the ACDelco is the better value. However if being used for an extended oci of 10k+ mi. or closer to Ultra's max, then the Ultra's max value would be acheived.

So, external looks are only a small part of determining the true value of an oil filter including the ACD and Ultra shown here.

I know my superficial exterior examination is probably irrelevant. I also believe that cutting a filter open to examine its innards is not a great way to tell if a filter is doing its job. Unless the filter element has holes and is falling apart, a physical exam is meaningless.

I will give the Fram Ultra a try an get a UOA.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I know my superficial exterior examination is probably irrelevant. I also believe that cutting a filter open to examine its innards is not a great way to tell if a filter is doing its job. Unless the filter element has holes and is falling apart, a physical exam is meaningless.

Cutting a filter open to see if it's all intact is about as good as it gets. If the filter efficiency is known from the manufacturer, gotta assume it was working as advertised unless the media is torn, etc.

Only other option is to have a beta particle counter installed on the vehicle to take real time efficiency data ... probably only cost $250K.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: stchman

Cutting a filter open to see if it's all intact is about as good as it gets. If the filter efficiency is known from the manufacturer, gotta assume it was working as advertised unless the media is torn, etc.

Only other option is to have a beta particle counter installed on the vehicle to take real time efficiency data ... probably only cost $250K.
grin.gif

Exactly. The Fram "orange cans of death" probably get a bad rap from the fiber end cap when in all reality a Fram Extra Guard probably does its job. Are there any instances of where a Fram Extra Guard oil filter has destroyed an engine?

I'm sure Fram employs people that are very knowledgeable about filters, filtering media, oil, chemistry, etc., and know FAR more about oil filters than 99.999% of the people in the world. We here on BITOG are just employing redneck engineering when we cut an filter open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back