Is Lucas synthetic gear oil really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP9

There seems to be quite a bit of disdain for Lucas products in general on here. What about their synthetic gear oil? Specifically, the 75W-90 and 75W-140.

edit: Sorry, meant to post this in the ATF, Differential, Trans, Brakes, P/S forum....

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of disdain for their treatment products that often have claims that sound like snake oil.

However, they do have fully formulated motor oils and gear oils. I haven't heard anything bad about those.

Past online analysis of Lucas motor oils show a far from top tier oil.Cant imagine their gear lubes would be top notch either.Just because they sponsor off road racing,doesnt make them race quality products.I would stick with the name brands (QS/PZ/XM/Valvoline/Amalie) and forget that Lucas exists.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i wouldnt use them There are much better gear oils for way less money. M1, Synpower, Amsoil SVG etc.. leave the lucas on the shelf.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why wouldn't you want to use something that was the best vs "really that bad".

Amsoil SVG.

I have a couple quarts of the Lucas already. Trying to decide whether to use it or drop the big bucks on Amsoil.

I wouldn't use Lucas in anything I own. They sell snake oil products and to me that makes them a dishonest company and subsequently I'm not willing to feed one cent into that dog and pony show.

On the other hand, AMSOIL, while some don't like their marketing, and the 4-ball test is pretty ridiculous, DO make some excellent products that have been proven to perform as advertised. IMHO, I'd Craigslist the Lucas and buy something from AMSOIL, Mobil....etc.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why wouldn't you want to use something that was the best vs "really that bad".

Amsoil SVG.

Very well said. Amsoil blends excellent gear oils/fluids. I have to say as well that no Lucas product will go into a vehicle I own.

I've used Lucas 75-90 gear oil in all my old VW transaxles for years. It's the only thing that makes them quiet and shift smooth. Used to use M1 75-90 and the Lucas just blows it away in my application.

I'm not a fan of Lucas Oil Stabilizer but their transmission products (stop slip, ATF, and gear oil) are not bad at all, in my experience. Their power steering stop squeal works great, too.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I wouldn't use Lucas in anything I own. They sell snake oil products and to me that makes them a dishonest company and subsequently I'm not willing to feed one cent into that dog and pony show.

On the other hand, AMSOIL, while some don't like their marketing, and the 4-ball test is pretty ridiculous, DO make some excellent products that have been proven to perform as advertised. IMHO, I'd Craigslist the Lucas and buy something from AMSOIL, Mobil....etc.

Agree completely.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Agree completely.

Is marketing 4-ball data really that ridiculous? I mean, at least it is a bench test that is actually used to determine EP properties. It is only a tiny piece of the performance parameters for a gear lube, but even the majors market based on one or two areas where a product performs exceptionally well.

Originally Posted By: jake88

Agree completely.

Is marketing 4-ball data really that ridiculous? I mean, at least it is a bench test that is actually used to determine EP properties. It is only a tiny piece of the performance parameters for a gear lube, but even the majors market based on one or two areas where a product performs exceptionally well.

That was in reference to PCMO's, not gear lubes. The 4-ball test is a legitimate gear lube test for sure.

I recently used a mixture of Lucas M8 75w90 and Coastal conventional 75w90 in a Miata 5 speed gearbox. This particular unit has had a troublesome 3rd gear and this combo works extremely well. I also have used Amsoil MTG which is top notch stuff.

Agree completely.

That was in reference to PCMO's, not gear lubes. The 4-ball test is a legitimate gear lube test for sure.

There were using the 4-ball weld or 4-ball wear in their PCMO marketing?

The 4-ball wear test seems like it could be a useful enough screening test for AW/EP protection in an engine (e.g. valvetrain, top-dead-center). It's not an engine test, but it is at least defensible.

The 4-ball weld test for engines oils sounds pretty silly, though.

There were using the 4-ball weld or 4-ball wear in their PCMO marketing?

The 4-ball wear test seems like it could be a useful enough screening test for AW/EP protection in an engine (e.g. valvetrain, top-dead-center). It's not an engine test, but it is at least defensible.

The 4-ball weld test for engines oils sounds pretty silly, though.

They use the 4-ball wear test (not the weld test). Data from other oil manufacturers seems to indicate it it isn't applicable to engine oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back