Subaru engine reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 Subarus since 1998 and I'd never buy another: rear wheel bearings replaced, multiple oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, pervasive rust problems with rear suspension, knock sensor failures, misc. unsolvable electrical gremlins (Tribeca), constant alignment needs, head gasket problems (and Subies atrocious "Bars Leaks" solution!), rear latch failures,etc. About what you might expect from a boutiquish mfg without the engineering resources to fully develop their cars. Nice roof racks, though! But hey, if you're choosing a vehicle based on the size of the rear window, I've got a nice Pacer that you might like ;-)

Last edited:
Nearly 200K on my '99 Subie. Solid as a tractor. Yeah, the HG issue was ("is" if you have a older version that has not had the repair) an issue, but there are cases of 300K+ on their original HG. However, I know of a few folks with Honda that had HG failures AND transmission failures. Still, assuming a '14 Subie is like a '00 Subie is the same problem as comparing '14/'00 Honda/Toyota... the modern Honda will (hopefully) not have the Tranny Issue and I do not think the modern Toyotas are as well built as my '01 MR2. If the designs are the same, then work with that but current models are different from the HG prone EJ25. Heck, look at the EJ22 (2.2l) and those things are unkillable. I still see folks with EJ25 searching for old EJ22.

Currently, I feel Honda (and the Mrs has a Fit) has been cutting a lot of corners in the "new economy". Toyota as well, but not in their engineering (they are doing it in their non-hybrid R&D and using dated but proven designs). Worse, it seems Toyota is ignore safety "issues" as they are not correcting KNOWN problem areas in new models. Subaru has the feel that they are not cutting corners... unless you consider framed windows a cut-corner. They are building thing properly.

So, back to Subie. Consider this: They were the only car manufacturer to GROW during the recession. They stayed in the black. Why? Solid product with a solid customer base. If you are going to buy a Subie, you are buying a Subie. Although they are drifting into the popular market more with more "normal" offerings, they are still with their roots. Actually, current Subies seem like early 90s Honda/Toyotas when proper engineering was more important than profit margins.

If I was looking for a vehicle (without a 911 label) #1 Would be Subie (and this is from a person who owns Subie, Honda, and Toyota (and formally "Datsun" too). My #2 would be Mazda. #3 Toyota depending on the model and #4 Honda depending on the model.

I'm one of the people that love their Subaru. They're quite easy to work on, with quite a bit of room (for a modern car.) Keep in mind however, that my usual car to work on is a newer VW, so my concept of "room" and "difficulty" will vary from others' views. Maintenance is more frequent, but fairly simple with most components fairly easy to find get to. Timing belts are due every 105K, but it's not that bad a job.

might want to try talking to subaru owners not just people who read the internet or people who heard from friends.

Here's what I know in a nutshell
I grew up working on 1300 and 1600 cc VW's so I'm fond of the H4 engine
The H4 engine design is generally pretty solid and easy to work on
That's partly why the Germans liked it, simple and easy to service
The 'Flat 4' engine design was sold to Fuji Industries/Subaru
It's still solid
However, Fuji Industries has struggled over the years with some of the basics
Head gaskets for one, are notoriously failure prone on some later 90's models

I married a 98 EJ22 Legacy
My wife did her best to destroy it by running it to failure during a head gasket failure/overheat event
It stalled. She waited, and started it again and rain it AGAIN to failure
$3,000 later and it's in our driveway with new head gaskets, plained heads, etc and literally bombing down the road again with 147,000 miles of religious service by me
The EJ22 is simple and hard to kill

So, yes they are solid but I do not trust Fuji Industries to not miss the mark on one or more design elements now, or in future
Would I buy one? YES

Is my 2001 F150 more reliable with better overall quality and fit and finish?
Honestly, Yes.

The 98 Legacy still feels like an unfinished thought from an ergonomic perspective. I have never been in or driven a Japanese automobile that doesn't feel like a Japanese automobile. IMHO, they are simply not capable of nailing all elements of a true American automobile.

But again, would I buy one? Yup.

Yeah, the HG issue with the EJ25 is a bit of a bummer in a very well built vehicle. Actually, the worst part of the EJ25 is the timing belt combined with a interference design so if that goes... well hello rebuild. The EJ22 were non-interference so bust those and your valves escaped. I would personally go for the H6 with a Subie now... but that is me and I know exactly the gawd-awful process of changing those sparkplugs too.

The issue for Subie is that the HG did not go until later in the vehicles lifespan (normally 115-180K) so the problem was not known until they made them for years and the Subie was not the fastest to respond. Also, I might be wrong, but wasn't the HG 3rd party with a manufacturing flaw combined with a design that relied on it being ... ummmm flawless. Kinda like putting the all your weight on a bad leg. Still, Fuji should have been quicker but I think they were caught off-guard. Still, I grew up in a household full of Chrysler... so even one Subaru HG issue is not going to compare to the awful Chrysler upbringing.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
My beloved '91 Integra has terminal cancer in an invisible-but-impossible-to-repair location, and I must regrettably begin considering replacing it with something from the odious, loathsome, rolling-rubber-room, NHTSA-designed malignancies currently polluting the new-car market.

Tell us what you really think about modern cars...

How hard is it to import into Canada? Could you just spring for a low milage / low rust Integra from way south of you? Or even just locally? It sounds like you don't really want something modern, and are content with older, and perhaps have a bit of time to search.

I am a Subaru fan. Some friends from CT own and race Subaru's and Evo's. IMHO, the Subaru is a better all around car.

However, the STI's engines have been incredibly problematic, sometimes not lasting a weekend at the track. While, you may not think this applies to a Forester, I believe it does. As it's not just the STI's and WRX's with head gasket (and other) problems. The issue seems to be related to time and miles and thermal cycling. In other words, the cars tend to make it through warranty before they start having issues. So what? With that in mind, own and operate a Subaru being aware of the possible issues and plan accordingly. A smart consumer will have a better result.

Would I purchase one? Yes! I like so much about many Subaru vehicles that I'd take the minor risk of engine issues. That's what an extended warranty is for. And, before you say that extended warranty's are horribly expensive... You might be able to get a factory extended warranty (not aftermarket) for a very good discount, online.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
If you liked the Integra, the CR-V will feel familiar -- it's the same platform (Civic/Integra/del Sol).

Eh...I'd say that the current model CR-V is "loosely" based on that platform, but that it most likely won't feel much like a 1991 Integra. The CR-V uses a different front suspension (struts vs. wishbones), a different rear suspension, and obviously many different bits in-between. It's also much taller and probably at least 1,000 pounds heavier.

The 2012+ CR-V has also been "softened" some compared with the 2007-2011 generation. The first two generations were regarded as somewhat "trucky". Honda moved the CR-V to a much more car-like experience in 2007, and although that continues into the 4th generation models (2012+), the responses and reflexes are also muted a bit. Nice driving cars to be sure, but just a little soft for my tastes (I've driven three different ones).

As much as I love our CR-V (it's probably my favorite of the cars we've owned), I'm taking a lot of hard looks at new Subarus. A number of folks in our circle of friends have new Outback wagons, and though the cabin height is a little low to me, I really like how the cars sit up tall and you don't feel as if you're laying down in the seat. They have more upright seats like many other SUVs/CUVs.

We have no plans to replace either of our cars anytime soon, but if one were totalled tomorrow, and we didn't replace it with the same model on the used car market, I'd be looking hard at either the Outback or the Forester.

I guess my post gives me a suggestion for Tegger: if you do drive a 2012+ CR-V and find it too soft for your tastes, consider trying a lightly-used 2010 or 2011 model. You may find it a bit more to your liking, if you find that you want to stay with the Honda brand.

Thanks to all who contributed.

What it now looks like is that Subaru revised the head gasket for the '08 model year, which coincides with Consumer Reports' ratings suddenly changing to "excellent" for '08-and-up for the "Engine Major" category. So the head gasket is probably not a deal-breaker for us. But, thanks to this thread, I have become aware of an oil-consumption problem that extends to the 2014 model year. And that's not welcome news at all.

We're going to test-drive the RAV-4, CR-V, and the Forester, and see where it goes from there.

Originally Posted By: supton
How hard is it to import into Canada?

Provided the vehicle is 15 model years old or older, it may be imported into Canada without any duties, and without safety/emissions restrictions or modifications. I just don't know who I'd use to help me find something GOOD.

We currently have two cars: my Integra, and my wife's '99 Tercel. I need cargo capacity, and our cargo car -- the Integra -- needs to be replaced.

The new car we're buying is ultimately intended for my wife, even though we're buying it partially for its cargo capacity. I would drive the new one for a couple of years, then hand it over to her and we'd replace the Tercel with something that would become MY "new" car.

When I buy MY "new" car, I intend it to be an older one, just like you suggest. I just need to find somebody to help me locate and purchase a vehicle from far away. I must be nuts, because my ideal car is an '81-'82 Corolla SR-5 Liftback.

I did a lot of research before I bought my Legacy. I went back and forth a million times between the Legacy and the Outback but ultimately decided on the Legacy for fuel efficiency and better maneuvering/handling in the city. I'm still not 100% convinced I made the right choice if kids or a dog come in the next few years but it's too late now.

In any case, I have full confidence that this will be a reliable car. It's the most important aspect of any car to me. My last car was a 4Runner which is known for it's reliability so I wouldn't have bought something if I didn't think it would last.

The oil consumption and the cvt are the only things I'm worried about but I bought the 7 year/100K warranty in case the CVT kicks the bucket. As far as the oil consumption my findings were that it occurs much more frequently on the 2.0L engine in the Impreza and XV. Hopefully that's true.

If given the choice between crv, rav4, or forrester I'd most likely go with Subaru for the simple fact they let you row your own gears. Who knows how much longer that will last.

FWIW the '14 Subaru is one of the most reliable new vehicles, if you trust CR. But this is based on only a years worth of data, if that.

If you don't need AWD, try out a Focus wagon, CRV cargo space in a car. The mtx is rated 37mpg highway but I find we get low 30's with mostly highway driving.
Last year was 2007 though, hyundai did newer Elantra wagons until 2012 I believe.

The 2013 RAV4 has been severely de-contented from the previous generation. The large list of items dropped is sad while the prices continue upward. The usable interior space has also dropped slightly. There are positive things also but the negatives outweigh them in my opinion.

We own two 2008 V-6 models. Her's has been the very model of a Toyota, mine qualifies as the most trouble prone car I've ever owned. I would not buy another especially since the V-6 is discontinued, that is the one thing they did right.

Nothing to say on Subies since I've never even driven one.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
We own two 2008 V-6 models. Her's has been the very model of a Toyota, mine qualifies as the most trouble prone car I've ever owned. I would not buy another especially since the V-6 is discontinued, that is the one thing they did right.

My brother has a blue 2008 Rav with the I4. Bought new and no issues. Mostly city miles in the heavy DC traffic. It's funny their Boxer will sit in the drivers seat and honk the horn if they get out of it to talk to other people or when talking on their cell phone.
lol.gif

The 05 Matrix XR has been so-so at best. Nothing major but many small annoying problems that aren't cheap to fix. The 99 Accord I4 seemed much better built even with more than twice the miles on it.

I think subaru is about as good as it gets for reliability. Sure some people had some HGs go, but most of those happen after 100,000 miles of use. That is one HG job per typical lifespan of a car. Nothing to cry about. It looks like a fairly easy DIY job for those with a good set of tools and hands. Its just a gasket, what if the oil pan needs a new gasket at some point? Do you shun the whole brand?

Show me some big (unrepairable) engine problems like a thrown rod on a subaru.

My 2004 STi had a timing belt tensioner go south. But it didn't fail catastrophically, so no real harm done other than a trip to the dealership to get it resolved under warranty. It needs to be said that the car was autocrossed twice a month, which means more high RPM time which could by itself explain the failure.

Otherwise the car seemed reliable. I heard a lot of stories about ringland failures, head gasket failures, and the occasional (although rare) oil pickup tube failure.

My buddy has a '06-'07 Forester. Currently has 136k on it. He had something on the front left suspension break (not sure what it was) and it now has a blown head gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back