Automatic transmission dipsticks disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
"Fluid for life" means life of the powertrain warranty. Aka 100k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. After that, bets are off whether the AT will need a rebuild or not.

Our Honda has a very easily accessible dipstick and drain plug. It's been drained/filled with synthetic ATF every second oil change or so.

not to change subject but what kind of ATF Fluid you put in your HONDA????

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Those 4T80-E transmissions are very stout in the Northstar-powered cars.

At a low mileage, somewhere close to 50K miles, the torque lockup failed and set a Check Engine Light (CEL). Apparently it's a common failure, a cheap part, but requires a lot of labor hours to replace. With a set CEL, the car won't pass emissions. I discovered how to reset the CEL from the dash, then drove for a week with the shift lever set to 3rd so as to prevent shifting to 4th and setting a new CEL. That got me through emissions. After the 2nd brake line repair, defective transmission, then the head gasket went, and the exhaust system about to rot out, it wasn't cost effective to keep the car because the repair costs exceeded the book value. From $55K sticker price to scrap in 10 years and at low miles too. I learnt my lesson.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: keith
From $55K sticker price to scrap in 10 years and at low miles too. I learnt my lesson.

I can co-miserate somewhat. I bought a 2001 STS in 2005 for just $13,000, from an MSRP of about $50,000 or so. Most of that car was re-built, simily to yours. I wouldn't have bought it if I had known...I didn't think to have the dealer run a warranty history report until some weeks AFTER I bought the car!

The engine had been replaced, the exhaust had been replaced, as had some of the suspension, the radio, various bits here and there, etc. And the engine STILL had a knock in it. The car was from Ohio (last time I buy a salt-belt car), but still...all that after only four years...

I've owned two Cadillacs, that one being the last one. I may own one again, but it probably won't be soon.

Originally Posted By: keith
At a low mileage, somewhere close to 50K miles, the torque lockup failed and set a Check Engine Light (CEL). Apparently it's a common failure, a cheap part, but requires a lot of labor hours to replace. With a set CEL, the car won't pass emissions. I discovered how to reset the CEL from the dash, then drove for a week with the shift lever set to 3rd so as to prevent shifting to 4th and setting a new CEL. That got me through emissions.

You get a Gold Star for making it through emissions this way!

gold_star.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back