Oil recommendation for a 1991 Lexus LS400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, mate. I will consider changing to a lighter oil after some cleaning with Ultra first.

Helix Ultra seems like a great oil. How does your corolla like it?

What TGMO do the Toyota/Lexus dealers sell there?

Great car!

Corolla does well with it - oil usage is low and everything works OK. I like the Helix Ultra more and more.

As far as I can tell there are 5W-30, 5W-40 and 10W-40 Toyota oils available at the dealer. They are not very affordable, though, meaning that you can get M1 0W-40 at market for the same price as TGMO 5W-30 at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Finn
- engine runs at 66 degrees Celsius -> thermostat probably stuck open a bit

Very nice car and very nice shape. You may want to fix that thermostat before the cold kicks in too bad. A number of years ago, that happened to my Town Car, conveniently when it went down to around -40 C. I was not terribly happy with the heater's performance, to say the least.

. They are not very affordable, though, meaning that you can get M1 0W-40 at market for the same price as TGMO 5W-30 at the dealer.

Assuming TGMO 5W-30 is a light A5/B5 oil and it's the same price as M1 0W-40 then that's certainly the preferred oil to use for both the LS 400 and the Corolla.
You also mentioned the GM 5W-30 was "very very affordable" so if it's cheaper than TGMO 5W-30 go with that.

Just three things to do:
- OD light blinks in the gauges -> could be a corroded connection or sticky/bad solenoid

This link might save you HOURS of time and a lot of money. You can Google "LS400 trunk harness" for more information.

This is a somewhat common issue with the 1st gen LS400.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html

Thanks for the link.

Just three things to do:
- OD light blinks in the gauges -> could be a corroded connection or sticky/bad solenoid
- small LCD display up in the center console is very dark -> need to get new one

The ride is phenomenal!

Let's see to do-list:

This was cured by just driving the thing.

We changed the thermostat and engine now reaches normal temperature. It feels completely different in a good way and it was already good when running cold.

congrats!
be sure you keep a close eye on the power steering fluid level and take action when it begins to consume fluid.

Last edited:
Yep, checking the PS fluid every now and then.

About the oil - what is the BITOG verdict of Total Quartz Energy 9000 0W-30 oil?

I have found a way to get it rather cheaply but have zero experience of French oils. Is this good stuff?

328x367-Energy-9000-1L.jpg

The above oil is an A3/B4 oil with a 170 VI.
So it's a heavy 30wt oil similar but perhaps a bit lighter than Castrol 0W-30.
It won't be any lighter than M1 0W-40 on start-up but if it's cheaper then it would be preferable.

It would still be better to go with an A5/B5 5W-30.

I'm running Rotella T5 in mine right now and it seems to like it. I've used Chevron, MaxLife, PP and M1HM in mine with good results.

Well, after Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 we put in Mobil 1 0W-40 which has been in for about 3000 kilometers. Mobil was something I had on the shelf.

Today I received 27 litres of Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W-30. This will go in Lexus, dad's 2011 Corolla and perhaps in my old Corolla as well.

I ordered these from Ato24.de.

P1010459.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back