10k miles safe for K&N Oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it okay for K&N to go 10,000 miles? I am beginning to worry about the oil filter more than the oil quality in regards to extended drain situations. I have been using Mobil 1 SS in my Integra using bosch premium, and after 5 months and ~4,000 miles into the interval, I hear noticable valve train noise at start up on occasions. With Castrol's new oil having a TBN of 14.5 from VOA's, I may decide to switch and use it with a K&N oil filter with a 10,000 mile drain interval if UOA's of the oil are better than mobil 1. A 10,000 mile interval would then justify the cost of synthetic oil for me.

Considering the fact that the K&N doesn't filter out super small particles, and it seems to have a decent amount of filtering media, I'd say it's totally safe to go 10k, as long as your filter size isn't super small.

I'd lean towards Amsoil if I were to follow the data from the supplied link (thanks Roger). Amsoil has 7 inlet holes at 0.250" in diameter versus K&N's 5 inlet holes (4 at 0.250" and 1 at 0.312"). Also, Amsoil has an element height of 2.1" versus 1.8" for the K&N, which suggests greater capacity and less prone to running in bypass due to a clogged filter. Also, K&N appears to be a Bosch premium filter in many ways except in filtering media and case design. I think I will go with the Amsoil filter and go with the 10,000 mile drain interval.

I'm curious what the motivation is for "extended drain intervals" with oil fiters. A solid filter (Purolator, AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc.) only costs a few bucks. That's only 1/10th of one cent per mile if changed out at 3000 miles...

The comment about extended drain intervals and why you would want them seems to come up quite frequently when one starts talking of 10,000 drain intervals. Why would one spend 4 times as much for synthetic just to drain it at 3,000 miles? Mobil one has been proven through oil analysis to get even stronger after 3,000 miles so why not go 10,000 if it is capable of providing protection which is better at 10,000 miles than dino oil at 3,000???

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
I'm curious what the motivation is for "extended drain intervals" with oil fiters. A solid filter (Purolator, AC Delco, Motorcraft, etc.) only costs a few bucks. That's only 1/10th of one cent per mile if changed out at 3000 miles...

Speaking for myself, one of the reasons for doing extended drains is so that I don't have to crawl under the car every 3k. To me, changing the oil filter is the worst part of the job, especially on cars where the filter is buried or near hot exhaust parts.

So if it's possible to avoid doing both the oil and the filter for 10k, why not? Most oil filters don't plug up nearly as quickly as people think they do.

Plus another thing, if you're using a more expensive filter like the K&N, you don't want to be changing that every 3k either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back