2008 MB C300, M1 0w-40 SN, 11,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time in service: 12 months
Miles in service: 11,240

Driving conditions: mix of very short commutes (3-miles one way) with 200-mile hwy trips every couple of weeks.

Oil: Mobil1 0w-40 API SN
Oil filter: Mann (OEM)
Air filter: Mann (OEM)

Make-up oil: none

Sampling technique: Blackstone pump via dipstick tube.

C300_M1_0w40_11K_2013_10_780.png

I must say, the TBN retention in this new SN stuff is impressive, as is shear stability.

The previous sample on the above report (10/16/11) was on M1 0w-40 SM, 8800 miles and 1 year as well. That sample had multiple 12-mile commutes, but no extended hwy trips.

Even with the short tripping the oil resisted shear well.
There's a reason why most here consider one of the best oils money can buy. And at 25 a jug down south why even consider anything else.

Thanks for sharing the report Pete! Awesome report (note to other members, I have same engine, good too, but I have light misting leaks at only 45,000 miles.
frown.gif
I have another version of same V6 with 24,000 miles leaking too).

I love seeing the report because these days the checks I do are with only about 5k miles so it's almost worthless to look at.

Do you take your own oil into the factory service that you did this year, or do you let them use whatever they stock on the years that is their turn?

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Do you take your own oil into the factory service that you did this year, or do you let them use whatever they stock on the years that is their turn?

Every alternate year I take it to the dealer for Service B and just let them use whatever they use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Updated image link, in case the original isn't showing up any longer...

37704126854_2b8c789141_o.png

In my case, Blackstone told me to stay at 10,000kilometers because my iron level was at 30. (time on oil was 10,225km). I'm thinking of pushing my oil drain interval to 10,000 miles or 15,000km. Thoughts? All other values are the same as yours. (TBN in my case was 6.8 which is healthy!)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned in your thread where you posted your own UOA, I think this iron level is not unusual for this engine. See this UOA... in case you can't see the image, it had 66 ppm of iron after 11k miles:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._0w#Post2054386

Miles aside, I like to change oil at least once a year... the oil takes a beating due to all the moisture accumulation and running at below normal operating temps for us who live up north. So, if it's not going to take you more than a year to rack up 10K miles, I'd say go for it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As I mentioned in your thread where you posted your own UOA, I think this iron level is not unusual for this engine. See this UOA... in case you can't see the image, it had 66 ppm of iron after 11k miles:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr..._0w#Post2054386

Miles aside, I like to change oil at least once a year... the oil takes a beating due to all the moisture accumulation and running at below normal operating temps for us who live up north. So, if it's not going to take you more than a year to rack up 10K miles, I'd say go for it.

Thank you! I'm at 3 seasons now and approaching winter with 10,000km on the oil. I plan to put on another 3k-5k km on the oil prior to changing it out in Feb/March. I was concerned about my strategy on this until today. Many thanks for your feedback and digging up threads for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back