How long are fuel injectors supposed to last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Buick LeSabre with over 114K on the clock. It's got a semi-rough idle and I'm wondering if one of the fuel injectors might be going out. How long would you say fuel injectors are supposed to last on average?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2000 Buick LeSabre with over 114K on the clock. It's got a semi-rough idle and I'm wondering if one of the fuel injectors might be going out. How long would you say fuel injectors are supposed to last on average?

Dependes what kind.. If its a Throttle Body Injection basically 1 big fuel injector, I have seen them go bad and need to be replaced

But your car has independent Fuel Injection as most are today

So in your case,

They can get dirty and clogged however I have seen Fuel Injectors last longer than the car.
If its GAS

Also at my Dads shop we have a machine to put clogged dirty injectors in a Ultrasonic Injector Cleaning Machine and it makes em like new.

NOT IN YOUR CASE BUT JUST FOR YOUR INFO..

Now if its a DIESEL ENGINE I hear they are EXPENSIVE and they can go bad or get clogged or they can crack or break.

IN YOUR CASE

but really I would not worry about it.... Put some good Chevron gas and have you checked your spark plugs????

Also I have seen Buick Lesabre and Im sure you have the 3800 V6 Series II Engine.

I have seen them Engines with 250000 Miles and run perfect. I have even seen 1 with over 375000 miles and was running perfect and this was the older ones... I did a AET / Emmissions test on it in Detroit Michigan years ago when you had to get a AET done to get your tags renewed..

Put some Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner or just go to a Local Chevron gas station, that's if you think its the FUEL INJECTORS.

It could just be some bad gas or your plugs.

Last edited:

I can only relate my experiences with both fleet vehicles and personal ones.

We have not replaced a fuel injector in my memory, ever. It must happen, but it hasn't to us...

Injectors usually last the life of a well maintained car. However the older style Pintle Injectors IMO aren't as good as the newer ones, and can require service or replacement during the life of the engine.

1. for ever in a gas engine, unless the car sat for 5 years
2. take out each plug and inspect it,
3. what is rought idle? varying rpm? buy a haynes manual for your vehicle, they have great step by step guide to diag stuff,
4. any codes?

I would say a bad injector on that particular car is the last thing I would start with.
Go with what others have said....PCV valve, Techron, loose plug/wire/coil pack.

I know the 3100 and 3800 are different engines, but in the duration I had my 2003 buick century it ate 2 egr valves... Do you have any CEL? Like others have said, I wouldn't start with the fuel injectors.. Vacuum leak may be a good thing to test for also..

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Do you have any CEL?

No CEL for this slight rough idle. Last week I got a P0300 code for cylinders 1 & 4 not firing, but a new ICM fixed that. The rough idle was present before the ICM failure and so that leads me to believe the two instances aren't related. The EGR has been replaced once already, but that was because it was stuck in the closed position and therefore didn't affect idle quality. I had to replace it because it threw a code and the car was up for smog renewal. Today I'll probably take a fuel pressure reading and I may have to pick up a vacuum gauge to take a manifold vacuum reading.

Right after I bought it, my '93 Ford Taurus developed a rough idle - long story short, it was the EGR valve. Cheap and easy to replace.

Check your plugs for wear and fouling, check your ignition wires for arching or cross firing. Does it have a distributor cap? (probably not but I haven't kept up with what is on newer cars) If so, check the towers on the inside for wear and the cap itself for cracks and "tracking."

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Does it have a distributor cap?

No distributor cap. It has 3 coil packs and each coil pack fires a pair of cylinders at the same time.

IDK.
I do know that I've never had to replace an injector going back to our first fuely, an '81 Vanagon through our recently sold '97 Accord with 207K.
An easy first resort would be a bottle of Red Line SI-1.
I pursuaded our tech at work to try this with 3/4 ton GMC at work which he diagnosed as having one or two clogged or otherwise bad injectors and the problem cleared right up.

I dont think these cars have much in the way of vacuum lines or caps but it is a good idea to check for them. I have seen cars that have a slightly rough idle due to small cracks or splits in aging rubber lines and fresh ones smooth it out considerably.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I dont think these cars have much in the way of vacuum lines or caps but it is a good idea to check for them. I have seen cars that have a slightly rough idle due to small cracks or splits in aging rubber lines and fresh ones smooth it out considerably.

You're right, they don't, but they do have some formed vacuum fittings that like to rot.

Your car is a model that had issues with dirty injectors causing a random miss at idle but mostly only if it sees short trips.

I had a bad injector stick open on a silhouette 3.4. It was obviously broken and just dumping fuel all of the time.
lol.gif

A used one off ebay set things right.

My 1994 LS400 has more than 350k miles with original fuel injectors, Techron complete fuel system cleaner was used once every other year.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Your car is a model that had issues with dirty injectors causing a random miss at idle but mostly only if it sees short trips.

Yes i do quite a few of these, they usually need to spend a much longer time in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back